•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Mahafiz - Sharjah - 18 Sep 2020

Rahimdad

TRIP REPORT

So it all started with going to bed early to be able to wake up early. Mission successful. Got up and got ready in time, but as I was about to move out 2 of my cats ran out. To make things worse somebody left the door to the stairs open and both ran to the stairs. I found the first one in 10 minutes, but needed my daughter's help to find the other one and it took us a little over 30 minutes. Thank goodness I tried leaving early anyways so I arrived just 6 minutes late by which time everybody was deflating.

We had another group convoy also meeting up ahead of us by the trees. The fog was not as bad as Qudra or Pink Rock area, but it surely is sign that weather is changing. One thing noted while deflating was 2 of the cars had got screenless radios where channels could not be programmed. I request all members to go through the forum for important information as @Frederic has taken a lot of his time to give full description with model numbers for everyone's convenience.

As we went through our last minute brief, we found the other convoy getting crested right in front of us. What did we do, we just went around it. I would like to thank everyone on the trip to take Covid precautions seriously. It was smooth sailing for us for the entire trip and we found lots of play areas to exercise and polish our skills. As we played on the third set of dunes just before the grand final @Athula Dharmadada. Had a jump with a very bad landing which ruptured the radiator. Leaving the convoy to enjoy the play area with @Rizwanm2, I took @Tbone to help me out.

After about 800 meters the JGC would not start and any water being poured in was just dropping out. So I decided to use my tow truck again to pull him out. We were just 2 dunes away from the tracks when I had my first refusal pulling out the JGC. Second attempt also turned out to be untruthful. At this point I noticed my heat gauge going up so I decided to take a break to refresh my thoughts.

@tbone went for a sshort recce which to set the tracks, but after taking a walk with the farmer from the farm near by I saw clearly what I had to try. I had already asked @Athula Dharmadada to deflate to 12 PSI. When I checked my car the pressure was up to 14 PSI. I quickly deflated to 11 PSI and explained to @Athula Dharmadada what my plan was. After a little turn around I got the momentum to go through the first dune, what a difference 3 PSI makes. I knew I had to fly like Superman to get through the second dunes to get to the tracks and in one motion went through. @Tbone was the eye witness of that jump to change his route for safety. Within no time we were on the track and out. At this point we realized that the front number plate for the JGC was missing.

On the way back @Tbone and I took the same route to find the number plate and found it on the dune I had to fly over. When we reached the rest of the convoy I saw huge smiles as everyone had their fill at the playground in @Rizwanm2 supervision. @Rizwanm2 had been on a diet not wanting to do sideys before he understood the dynamics of his new ride, the White Xterra. But seemed while I was away his gear would not budge, so he opened the complete centre console of his car to make way to change his gears manually through the cable that controls the gears.

We took the same route going back and I believe the convoy understood the difficulty when the first crest of the day took place just where I had to fly across. @Tbone not only successfully pulled out the White Prado but also rerouted us through the track he had made earlier. It just wonderful to watch people learn and grow within the structure of the club.

@jose Shanu was my second lead and managed that position with ease. @tcarrimjee Tariq impressed me when he kept up with that front part of the convoy. But even more impressed with the way he handles his Y62 on sideys. So much grace and good use of power with great steering and throttle control to go in and come out with finesse. @Yasas Dharmadasa who also did well on the sideys, but at times the distance between him and the front of the convoy was a bit large. Once he realizes the dynamics of convoy gap he will be amazing. @Athula Dharmadada who did very well through the trip except for the last play area where he had too much speed. Hope the JGC is up and running in no time.

@AviG who looked very comfortable in His Prado and really handled it well throughout, but also had a good idea on how to handle sideys. @Hatim Patharia, @Shaaz Sha @Shyam Karat and @Arun Mathew our Wrangler boys who made it look so easy and were a treat to watch while doing sideys. Last but not the least @Tbone who was my centre forward and @Rizwanm2 who supported me in the sweep position kept the convoy safe and moving throughout.

I have my pics uploaded in the Gallery below.

https://carnity.com/gallery/category/316-newbie-mahafiz-sharjah-18-sep-2020

For the people that have completed 5 Newbie drives, you can apply for a promotion to Fewbie by going through the following article, and clicking on the "apply for promotion" button. Once applied your application will be reviewed asap.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Thanks @Rahimdad @Tbone and @Rizwanm2 for a wonderful drive. The start was superb and very informative . I was thrilled to drive down those steep inclines and cud do well in play areas. It was a treat for eyes from @tcarrimjee and @Hatim Pathariaand @Arun Mathew at their sideys ( I couldn't see how I performed 😀😀). Unfortunate that @Athula Dharmadada  had to exit with a raptured bumper and radiator, radiator ( was expecting some good convoy pics from him ) and hope to catch up with you in other upcoming events. Special mentions to @Shyam Karat and @jose Shanu for those good moments at the final play area hope to join u I'm some other drives. Thank you guys 👍

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

I had a great time in the morning drive session today.
But my over-confidence broke my radiator, front bumper of my JGC and ate a lot of time for the rest of the drive.
@Rahimdad did a great recovery of my car through the dunes after the overheated engine refused to go any further. The recovery video will be uploaded after some editing.
My garage proposed to replace existing plastic bumper with a steel bumper with steel skid plates.
Stock engine-armour was deformed and that hit the radiator. Yet, I'm not too interested in installing a steel bumper as of now due to restrictions in the UAE.
Instead of that, I informed them to trim the plastic bumper to match the damaged side.
Hope I meet you all next Friday for another exciting newbie drive.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

TRIP REPORT

So it all started with going to bed early to be able to wake up early. Mission successful. Got up and got ready in time, but as I was about to move out 2 of my cats ran out. To make things worse somebody left the door to the stairs open and both ran to the stairs. I found the first one in 10 minutes, but needed my daughter's help to find the other one and it took us a little over 30 minutes. Thank goodness I tried leaving early anyways so I arrived just 6 minutes late by which time everybody was deflating.

We had another group convoy also meeting up ahead of us by the trees. The fog was not as bad as Qudra or Pink Rock area, but it surely is sign that weather is changing. One thing noted while deflating was 2 of the cars had got screenless radios where channels could not be programmed. I request all members to go through the forum for important information as @Frederic has taken a lot of his time to give full description with model numbers for everyone's convenience.

As we went through our last minute brief, we found the other convoy getting crested right in front of us. What did we do, we just went around it. I would like to thank everyone on the trip to take Covid precautions seriously. It was smooth sailing for us for the entire trip and we found lots of play areas to exercise and polish our skills. As we played on the third set of dunes just before the grand final @Athula Dharmadada. Had a jump with a very bad landing which ruptured the radiator. Leaving the convoy to enjoy the play area with @Rizwanm2, I took @Tbone to help me out.

After about 800 meters the JGC would not start and any water being poured in was just dropping out. So I decided to use my tow truck again to pull him out. We were just 2 dunes away from the tracks when I had my first refusal pulling out the JGC. Second attempt also turned out to be untruthful. At this point I noticed my heat gauge going up so I decided to take a break to refresh my thoughts.

@tbone went for a sshort recce which to set the tracks, but after taking a walk with the farmer from the farm near by I saw clearly what I had to try. I had already asked @Athula Dharmadada to deflate to 12 PSI. When I checked my car the pressure was up to 14 PSI. I quickly deflated to 11 PSI and explained to @Athula Dharmadada what my plan was. After a little turn around I got the momentum to go through the first dune, what a difference 3 PSI makes. I knew I had to fly like Superman to get through the second dunes to get to the tracks and in one motion went through. @Tbone was the eye witness of that jump to change his route for safety. Within no time we were on the track and out. At this point we realized that the front number plate for the JGC was missing.

On the way back @Tbone and I took the same route to find the number plate and found it on the dune I had to fly over. When we reached the rest of the convoy I saw huge smiles as everyone had their fill at the playground in @Rizwanm2 supervision. @Rizwanm2 had been on a diet not wanting to do sideys before he understood the dynamics of his new ride, the White Xterra. But seemed while I was away his gear would not budge, so he opened the complete centre console of his car to make way to change his gears manually through the cable that controls the gears.

We took the same route going back and I believe the convoy understood the difficulty when the first crest of the day took place just where I had to fly across. @Tbone not only successfully pulled out the White Prado but also rerouted us through the track he had made earlier. It just wonderful to watch people learn and grow within the structure of the club.

@jose Shanu was my second lead and managed that position with ease. @tcarrimjee Tariq impressed me when he kept up with that front part of the convoy. But even more impressed with the way he handles his Y62 on sideys. So much grace and good use of power with great steering and throttle control to go in and come out with finesse. @Yasas Dharmadasa who also did well on the sideys, but at times the distance between him and the front of the convoy was a bit large. Once he realizes the dynamics of convoy gap he will be amazing. @Athula Dharmadada who did very well through the trip except for the last play area where he had too much speed. Hope the JGC is up and running in no time.

@AviG who looked very comfortable in His Prado and really handled it well throughout, but also had a good idea on how to handle sideys. @Hatim Patharia, @Shaaz Sha @Shyam Karat and @Arun Mathew our Wrangler boys who made it look so easy and were a treat to watch while doing sideys. Last but not the least @Tbone who was my centre forward and @Rizwanm2 who supported me in the sweep position kept the convoy safe and moving throughout.

I have my pics uploaded in the Gallery below.

https://carnity.com/gallery/category/316-newbie-mahafiz-sharjah-18-sep-2020

For the people that have completed 5 Newbie drives, you can apply for a promotion to Fewbie by going through the following article, and clicking on the "apply for promotion" button. Once applied your application will be reviewed asap.

Thank you @Rahimdad for a wonderful morning drive.  i feel much better after stretching my legs and soul in the sands after long time. weather was perfect and day was even better after spending time with wonderful new faces. 

as mentioned today's key highlight was @Athula Dharmadada jump and the aftermath.  wish for a speedy recovery of your JGC and see you soon in the sands. 

i took todays drive slow and steady to get feel of xterra in the sand for the first time and also did not want to take any risk since i did not had the skid plate on. when @Rahimdad and @Tbone was away recovering JGC my xterra's gear cable got disconnected from lever and was not engaging to any gear. with help of google and Youtube able to find a temporary solution to shift the gears. after little research, it seams a common issue with Xterra's. will do a seperate post for fellow members information. 

hope to see you all soon. TC. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 3

Thanks for the exceptional recovery @Rahimdad and @Tbone! Check out this short video I put together of the recovery.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

13 hours ago, Rizwanm2 said:

Thank you @Rahimdad for a wonderful morning drive.  i feel much better after stretching my legs and soul in the sands after long time. weather was perfect and day was even better after spending time with wonderful new faces. 

as mentioned today's key highlight was @Athula Dharmadada jump and the aftermath.  wish for a speedy recovery of your JGC and see you soon in the sands. 

i took todays drive slow and steady to get feel of xterra in the sand for the first time and also did not want to take any risk since i did not had the skid plate on. when @Rahimdad and @Tbone was away recovering JGC my xterra's gear cable got disconnected from lever and was not engaging to any gear. with help of google and Youtube able to find a temporary solution to shift the gears. after little research, it seams a common issue with Xterra's. will do a seperate post for fellow members information. 

hope to see you all soon. TC. 

That was a great TROUBLESHOOT, i was really happy to see the gear working and functioning after everything around the transmission gear was removed...! new learning again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Thanks  Rahim Bhai for a lovely morning. Also the entire convoy enjoyed the playground. As @Rahimdadtruly mentioned- When the cat is away the mice will play 😁

@Athula Dharmadadahope to see your Jeep back in action soon. After your incident, we all were very apprehensive to do the sidey and there was a big moment of silence when you were being towed. The tension and fear was in the air and i guess everyone was thinking whether to go ahead and play or not.

But eventually we started playing and took extra care of maintaining the momentum at the bump. many of us doing repeated rounds of sideys. Thanks @Rizwanm2 for facilitating.

@Tbone, we missed seeing your recovery but I am sure you had a great time too as heard on the radio.

Some pictures are attached.

1.jpg

Arun Mathew.jpg

Rizwan.jpg

shaaz.jpg

Shyam.jpg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use