•  
Advertise here

Xterra or Wrangler

Hi Everyone 

My Durango gave some trouble last trip and I have decided to get a weekend offroad only vehicle. 

I m stuck between Xterra and Wrangler ( my family choice 😊). I saw couple of 2012 Xterra (very few cars available without mods) for under 30k but wranglers are above 50k similar year and most modified and used offroad. 

I m also thinking about getting a pre owned or new wrangler from trading enterprises. Need some advise on getting a new car to offroad or get used modified wrangler with fingers crossed 🤞

• Like (+1) 5

As a Jeep guy i am driving a Xterra just because it is logical. One day i am sure i will go back to Jeep. 2012 Wrangler is not new. Surely you will face some issues. On the other hand Xterra very reliable. It is your choice between a car with a soul but need some maintenance time to time or car is not fun but reliable. 

• Like (+1) 5

X- terra all the way, if you get one with diff lock (off road version) you can do everything ( except rock crawling) which other expensive cars do ( No comparisons with brands or personal preferences , my advise is purely considering this will be your 2nd car for off road which should not burn a hole in your pocket!). I definitely wish to have a Jeep- Rubicon once I have the money !🤣

Other cheaper options which you can consider - Pajero SWB, Wrangler TJ, Pathfinder (2005 and older) , bear in mind to get a clean one is a task. Have a look at threads below for more advise

There is a thread on used car for off road use by budget on the website which is immensely useful

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Agree what @Chaitanya D said, getting a clean one will be a bigger task. 2012, under 30K, never been off road sounds good to me, try for an off road version if you can. If this is only going to be your weekend getaway car, suggest to invest less, learn the art and later you may decide all by yourself. Cheers!!

• Like (+1) 3

@Chaitanya DD @sertac @Janarthan Totally agree and Thanks for the valuable feedback. I am also thinking of giving up durango for a 7 seater offroader. But it's getting hectic to clean up and maintain the daily drive and weekend offroader. I will probably check the available xterra and hope I get something problem free. 

• Like (+1) 2

If you are looking at a 7 seater look at the pre 2008 Prado. Very good offroader with Toyota reliability.

Otherwise I would also recommend an Xterra. But please check the maintenance record as I have heard from more than a couple of people of engine issues.

List of options at various price levels are posted in this article 

With winter approaching some of these traditional offroaders like Wranglers, etc will start becoming expensive.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Srikumar said:

If you are looking at a 7 seater look at the pre 2008 Prado. Very good offroader with Toyota reliability.

Otherwise I would also recommend an Xterra. But please check the maintenance record as I have heard from more than a couple of people of engine issues.

List of options at various price levels are posted in this article 

With winter approaching some of these traditional offroaders like Wranglers, etc will start becoming expensive.

@Srikumar Hi Sri.. I will probably keep the durango and go with xterra..will probably trouble you all again once I have the list of shortlist 😁

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Sandyman85 said:

@Srikumar Hi Sri.. I will probably keep the durango and go with xterra..will probably trouble you all again once I have the list of shortlist 😁

Then you will have plenty of options and even you can look at a SWB models. Keep us updated on your progress.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Sandyman85 said:

This is my exact current setup. Durango for tarmac and xterra for getaway ;)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

if you are looking for clean xterra, you have to be very proactive on your search. offroad versions are sold within 1-2 after posting. Even non offroad version clean cars are sold within days.  

but very careful, there are lot of lemon cars as well. good luck... ✌️

• Like (+1) 2