•  
Advertise here

DIfferential

I have a 2005 Mitsubhishi Pajero LWB 3.8 V6 have been single owner but after I joined Carnity, I have learned the importance of Differential locking but cannot find the differential switch in this car amd model. Some say the 4LLC does the job and others say that I need to install it?.. please advice needed. 

• Like (+1) 2

Hi Ashok,

The 3.8 models should have indeed come with a rear differential lock switch as seen below:

D949F443-859D-433D-B25B-6699A6E67476.jpeg.f45dfa309322fe90be585969e2f1d201.jpegIf that switch is not there, then it must have been an option which was not chosen or available on your model. 

Vanessa her 2008 3.8 has the same issue: everyone says the 3.8 model should have it but mysteriously enough it was not in her car. On top of that it was a Gold emblem edition which i haven’t seen of that year anywhere in UAE, so maybe the vehicle came from Qatar (as we suspect we have seen other gold series 2008 for sale in Qatar online).

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 hour ago, Ashok chaturvedi said:

I have a 2005 Mitsubhishi Pajero LWB 3.8 V6 have been single owner but after I joined Carnity, I have learned the importance of Differential locking but cannot find the differential switch in this car amd model. Some say the 4LLC does the job and others say that I need to install it?.. please advice needed. 

Your 4HLc and 4LLc would ensure the central differenital is locked. However, like Fred said for Rear differential its a separate switch which might not have been provided in your model. Having said that, R/D Lock (activated in 4 LLc mode) is something that is rarely used only while doing self recovery. So dont worry, and just keep honing your offroad driving skills. FYI, most offroad cars dont have R/D lock. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks a lot for your kind comments. Unfortunately the two differential  switches are missing from my car and I bought the top of line then from main agent Al Hathboor in Dubai. I have heard this can be installed by some expert in Dubai. Let me know if I should pursue the option and if such modification is legal or I concentrate improving  my driving skills. My car lately is having issues with the gear panel indication switches turn off after few meters and start flashing the middle differential light only. Also D gear change on high RPM and the initial drive thrust is slow. This is being looked at and hopefully this may get sorted out soon.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s quite complex to install a rear diff lock afterwards, and not worth it in my opinion as it does not make any difference in driving, and is only useful  /nice to have for recoveries.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

43 minutes ago, Ashok chaturvedi said:

Thanks Frederic sir for your advice.. I shall no more consider the diff. modification and leave and work on improving my skills :-)

Totally agree as diff lock are critical when you are driving solo or on overland trips. With club drives, you will always have someone to help you, so don't waste time and money for getting aftermarket diff lock (if someone selling you).

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Regarding the centre orange light blinking means there is some vacuum leak, could be a pipe leak or there is a small AED 300 part that needs to be replaced. This effects changing into 4 WD and has nothing to do with high revs shifting or low torque on start. That could be a separate issue.

• Like (+1) 1

Thank you sir, these are the symptoms. The history of the car in very recent time has been a transmission and torque convertor box overhaul by a mechanic. All these symptoms started afterwards. I also gave the car to another garage run by Rishi mechanic, he tested the solenoids in the engine room and for any air leaks. He did replace the spark plugs and the seals.. which made some difference but suggested I go back to the original mechanic in the worst case to revist the transmission job. 

Today I handed the car and the mechanic agreed first to check the solenoids above the gear box and if necessary go further.

In the drive I drove the car mainly on manual 1 and 2nd  gear and managed to gather the needed power for the drive. The problem is the starting accelaration in auto D drive. 

• Like (+1) 2