•  

Leaders lead - Learn to lead the desert drive - 26 Sep 2020

Gaurav

Leading a desert drive is the most amazing experience to have, where you can combine the fun, freedom, creativity, strategic thinking and survival skills all at once. 

Leaders lead is the drive where all participant of that drive will lead for a certain period of time. Backed with the right techniques, experience and supervision so that you can learn the art of leading with a peace of mind without any fear or pressure.

Due to the basic experience required to read the sand and have basic navigational sense, this drive is only suited to the Advance level off-roaders.

You will be learning the basics of leading the convoy in the desert in three different steps:

1. Advance sand reading, plan your lead, plan your exits.
  2. Use of navigational software for selecting the right course of path.
  3. How to systematically scale the lead for all the cars in the convoy.

In this third session of leaders lead you will be leading through technical dunes with the help of off-road navigation app or device. And also learn to scale up or down the drive level difficulties as per convoy response.

After completion of this drive, we will have a separate session for technical and extreme recoveries.

Prepare and mark these basic points and you will be required to reach any one or few of them:

1. Entry and Exit
    1. Lisali camel track
    2. Lisali Fort
    3. Lisali technical dunes
    4. Faqa long range dunes
    5. Faqa technical dunes
  2. Mark few play area in and around Lisali, Murquab and Faqa area
  3. Mark as many sabka, flat track or easy exits in case of emergency
  4. Mark fencing or restricted area

Level: Advance and Above

When: 26 Sep 2020, Saturday

Meeting time: 5:30 AM, (Sharp, without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: https://goo.gl/maps/UGVDtqo5Khmwf3PN8 Lisali Camel track

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

Approximate finish time: 10:00 AM

Please RSVP on the below calendar:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

What an epic drive in technical dunes' hell!!

Wicked idea by @Gaurav (apparently inspired by @Srikumar) to choose the Lisaili to Faqa drive headline as a bait 😉 for a fun filled itinerary, while actually designing an excruciatingly difficult challenge for the last Leaders Lead session. Almost entirely focused on the super technical dunes between Lisaili and Murquab, this was one of the most difficult drive I had to do while with Carnity. 

My hats off to all the soon to be leaders for facing up to the challenge without batting an eye, always responding with a positive, energetic and calm attitude to the difficulties revealing themselves dune after dune after dune.

@Chaitanya D, @Tbone, @Kalahari, @Brette and @sertac all displayed leaders' qualities, by driving with flair, control, unwavering determination and resilience, plus supporting each other when needed. I was also very impressed by everybody's calm and clear communication skills, even under quite a deal of pressure.

I dare just giving them one advice: you can never plan enough, even the unplanned. I realize that nobody wishes to take a convoy in little fun, hard to navigate, technical areas, but on any drive one can find himself ending up in such an unplanned situation. This is why I suggest you always mark on your maps multiple exit points, especially in proximity to the technical areas. Take your time to look back at the maps, especially while driving through these areas, and at the same time take visuals of the surrounding terrain, so that anytime you find yourself in a tight spot, you may have one or more ways out, even though this may mean not reaching the planned exit point. As we said today, you cannot control all aspects of a drive while planning it at home, but you can do your best to be prepared, and minimize any risks you may encounter.

Having said this, I congratulate all of you guys with today's achievements. You led in one of the most difficult terrains you may find in this area, and you came out successfully. Great job.

See you soon with your new stripes on.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use