•  
Advertise here

8 hours ago, Gaurav said:

This is really fun-tastic idea to explore the offroad tracks and cars from different angle and vantage point and make them look interesting and amazing even for ourself, let alone new eyes.

I have had an experience in doing storyboard for corporate videos and happy to contribute here with the same and see how it unfold for this epic video and leaders challenge.

Love the initiative, concept and can't wait to see the final output.

Thanks @Lorenzo Candelpergher

Hi @Gaurav, this is indeed fun-tastic news.

First of all, I like the idea of not just shooting at the cars but also at the tracks.. So many more possibilities for a fascinating storytelling. Great suggestion! 

Second, you are right, now that we have a first idea of the subject, the whole challenge will be about conceiving the screenplay / storyboard, i.e. detailing each shot setup and camera movement and then planning the drive so that we get at the right place by the right time to get the perfect light. Your experience in storyboards will be key! 

I'll be soon sharing some hints about some most powerful drone shot types, so everyone can widen their horizons while developing some thoughts about where, what and how to shoot. 

It sounds so cool.. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Very complicated stuff explained in a very easy to understand language. @Gaurav bhai would you like to start with the story board, likely terrain, place and time to shoot this out. I believe the best lead for this will also be @Gaurav bhai as he really creates beautiful and adventurous routes. I am in with full support as required @Lorenzo Candelpergher. Never good at photography or angles or light. Will follow your orders like a good boy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Thanks @Lorenzo Candelpergher for bringing such great details and educating everyone on this new journey/challenge.

After going through your above detailed post (super impressed) now I think I know nothing about filming, especially about drone shooting. But I'm happy to put my views as per my limited knowledge and experience. Feel free to tweak, suggest or optimize as you find it useful.

My corporate experience was to manage the video shoot to highlight companies progress and focus on new stuff/achievements done by different departments. My main role was to liaise with all internal departments and video production company to develop a detailed script and then screenplay to lock it with CEO sign off to start filming and production.

Learning from such straight story telling technique which always work to impress and share the progress, I think we can develop this video challenge in 3 different bits to form a fully constructed story telling of an off-road drive. This video will cover and highlight the scenic beauty, fun, thrilling and adventurous side that motivate all of us to be awake so early on Friday morning and coming back for our sand dose every week.

If we can power pack this final video within 3 minutes (approx) without the boring details and highlighting the drone filming, angles, cinematic shots and offroad adventure, it will be nice introduction to our off-roading lifestyle with Carnity spirit.

1. Preparation (20%) - 30 - 40 Seconds
    1. Cars arriving at meeting point
    2. Drivers start deflating and fixing flag
    3. Trip lead meeting everyone to check cars
    4. Comms check, radio briefing
    5. Convoy numbering and move

2. Driving (70%) - 2 Minutes
    1. Convoy on the move
    2. Start slow - enjoy the beautiful view, serene desert, sunrise, desert track, wildlife, bushes, plants, tree, exotic birds, camels, oryx, gazelles, etc.
    3. Build the pace - focus on convoy moving at good speed and everyone enjoying the trail and challenges
      1. Doing the swings/rainbow
      2. Ridge riding
      3. Criss crossing
      4. Above story board idea + few more hundreds (lol)
    4. Stucks and refusal - show the struggle, challenge and teamwork with safety aspects
    5. Play area - Side sloping, hill climb - track and follow cars, aerial view, fly low and overtake shots - This is where we need drone shooting creativity and retakes for A and B roll footage.

3. Ending (10%) - 15 - 20 Seconds
    1. Debriefing
    2. Feedback
    3. Inflation and flag removal
    4. Back to tarmac till next Friday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi @Gaurav,

Thanks for your contribution. I see where you want to get in terms of story telling and I like it very much. 

To do a 3 mins video like this we will need many shots, over multiple drives, everytime we should focus on just a few moments not to derail the drive, unless we change the concept slightly and organise a 2 or 3 "video shooting drives" where we spend most of the time shooting (ie we keep the drones up in the air for the good part of 2 hours) and the convoy members support as "stunt actors". 

Most of the story can be shot with a couple of my drones (a smaller and quieter one for short distance shooting and tight manoeuvring to shoot recoveries, vegetation and wildlife, and a bigger one for faster more cinematic camera movements chasing cars in movement). We may have combine it with some conventional camera shooting (handheld on gimbal or fixed/suction mount GoPro - I have plenty of this stuff to mount in all possible ways), which could be cool as we may involve the convoy members in the shooting (it is going to be fun). We will need some voice recording too for radio comms, again to be done by GoPro or even phones. 

I think we could cover Preparation and Ending parts easily in 1 or 2 drives. The Driving part will take at least 5-6 separate drives to cover everything, especially if we want to capture wildlife, unless - as said - we plan for dedicated video shooting drives. 

I think your proposal is great, @Gaurav. Thanks very much for this fundamental step. Unless someone has more to add to it, we could consider it our TREATMENT, based on which we now start developing our SCREENPLAY, ie we break down the story in scenes and the scenes in single shots and, one by one we plan how to execute them during our drives. 

Ready to take off:

146181091-drone-landing-to-the-landing-pad-on-the-sand.jpg.67a90d1a365d88bc722eb074c6b55655.jpg

This is so thrilling! 

Edited by Lorenzo Candelpergher
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Hi @Gaurav,

Yesterday I took advantage of a short break during a pop-out recovery at the Intermediate Drive in Area 53 with @Frederic to fly my drone a little. 

I stole a couple of nice shots, which I will share later, but with static parked cars, captured from some distance, they don't tell much, I must say. 

If we really want to have some great footage we will have to plan the shootings in advance and carve some dedicated time during the drive (or have specific drives just for the purpose of shooting), so that preparations are not rushed into and all shots are executed as per plan as much as possible, while the convoy performs real some real action. 

Can we plan for a test in one for the next drives? All in all, we should include a 10 mins break for preps and briefing, 15 mins shottings with convoy driving around and 5 mins wrapping up. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Lorenzo Candelpergher we can try it on the Sweihan drive. What time is better, just after sunrise or closer to 8 am. Will try to scout some nice dunes where we can try to shoot. With the well spaced out dunes of Sweihan we might get some good footage,

Maybe then I can share with you the route and you can see if drones are allowed in those areas.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Hello guys! 

Although I am still a newbie when it comes to off-roading, this topic and initiative is too exciting to stop myself from putting in my two cents. Coming from the background of advertising & storytelling, I would like to give a few inputs, obviously completely up to you guys to take them into consideration or not. 

• In my limited experience of off-roading, i think it's one such activity that elicits a myriad of emotions - from anticipation, excitement, challenge, struggle, thrill to the feeling of exploration, triumph, victory and of course bonding with the nature & the fellow convoy members. 
  • It would be interesting to try and capture these 'emotions' as few core themes in terms of the videos. The cars can become the protagonists or actors who experience these emotions as much as the drivers do. 
  • One way of doing this could be that each drive leader is assigned a theme that's made of a collection of emotions and they can plan their drive / drone shots in a way that brings those emotions to life in the best possible way.
  • Possible themes / collection of emotions could be (limiting it to three for now) 
    • Anticipation & Thrill - at each and every step of the off-roading experience, there's always a sense of anticipation of what's coming next. Right from the preparation part to climbing up the dunes, this feeling is what gives us an edge of the seat experience. Could be captured well by a combination of mounted cameras for POV shots, low-flying + panning drone shots & shots that capture the human emotions as well. 
    • Challenge, struggle & Triumph - climbing up the dunes, stucks & refusals, the moment when you feel that you might get stuck but are able to cross the dune, side sloping etc. These could be brought to life with tracking shots, sliders, surprise shots & overtakes. 
    • Exploration, Discovery & Connection - the sense of wanting to go to unchartered territories, exploring the nature around, the feeling that you 'can' explore the unexplored and yet the feeling of being connected to the nature. This could be brought to life with parallax, tilt reveals and panning shots. 
  • I understand that a lot of this would come to life in post - edits and audio / music will play a big role in bringing the emotions out. 
  • The ultimate output of all this could be a Content Series for the Carnity social channels - something on the lines of 'The feeling called Carnity'. This series would then feature a series of short videos that showcases the various emotions Carnity drives make you experience. There could be a master film that's a sort of trailer to the content series. 

Seems likes a bit of a ramble now! :D 

All the best for this, fantastic initiative, excited to see the end result! 

Cheers! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

12 minutes ago, Bhaskar said:

Hello guys! 

Although I am still a newbie when it comes to off-roading, this topic and initiative is too exciting to stop myself from putting in my two cents. Coming from the background of advertising & storytelling, I would like to give a few inputs, obviously completely up to you guys to take them into consideration or not. 

• In my limited experience of off-roading, i think it's one such activity that elicits a myriad of emotions - from anticipation, excitement, challenge, struggle, thrill to the feeling of exploration, triumph, victory and of course bonding with the nature & the fellow convoy members. 
  • It would be interesting to try and capture these 'emotions' as few core themes in terms of the videos. The cars can become the protagonists or actors who experience these emotions as much as the drivers do. 
  • One way of doing this could be that each drive leader is assigned a theme that's made of a collection of emotions and they can plan their drive / drone shots in a way that brings those emotions to life in the best possible way.
  • Possible themes / collection of emotions could be (limiting it to three for now) 
    • Anticipation & Thrill - at each and every step of the off-roading experience, there's always a sense of anticipation of what's coming next. Right from the preparation part to climbing up the dunes, this feeling is what gives us an edge of the seat experience. Could be captured well by a combination of mounted cameras for POV shots, low-flying + panning drone shots & shots that capture the human emotions as well. 
    • Challenge, struggle & Triumph - climbing up the dunes, stucks & refusals, the moment when you feel that you might get stuck but are able to cross the dune, side sloping etc. These could be brought to life with tracking shots, sliders, surprise shots & overtakes. 
    • Exploration, Discovery & Connection - the sense of wanting to go to unchartered territories, exploring the nature around, the feeling that you 'can' explore the unexplored and yet the feeling of being connected to the nature. This could be brought to life with parallax, tilt reveals and panning shots. 
  • I understand that a lot of this would come to life in post - edits and audio / music will play a big role in bringing the emotions out. 
  • The ultimate output of all this could be a Content Series for the Carnity social channels - something on the lines of 'The feeling called Carnity'. This series would then feature a series of short videos that showcases the various emotions Carnity drives make you experience. There could be a master film that's a sort of trailer to the content series. 

Seems likes a bit of a ramble now! :D 

All the best for this, fantastic initiative, excited to see the end result! 

Cheers! 

Dear @Bhaskar,

Thank your very much for your interesting contribution. I like very much the view on the emotional side of off-roading.

As with @Gaurav's proposal this requires much more than drone shots, but I'd say the idea is worth much more than your two cents 😂.

Let's think about it. 

1 hour ago, Srikumar said:

@Lorenzo Candelpergher we can try it on the Sweihan drive. What time is better, just after sunrise or closer to 8 am. Will try to scout some nice dunes where we can try to shoot. With the well spaced out dunes of Sweihan we might get some good footage,

Maybe then I can share with you the route and you can see if drones are allowed in those areas.

Dear @Srikumar,

Yes pls share the route so I can check it against no-fly zones and GCAA regulations. 

Thanks. 

Edited by Lorenzo Candelpergher
  • Like (+1) 3