•  
Advertise here

Nissan Xterra Must to do Modifications

sertac

We have a lot of Xterra users in our team. We don`t have a thread putting together all the must modifications for Xterra. Lets discuss them here to have these documented all together under one thread. 

- Skid plate

Since the radiator is sitting too low at Xterra this is one of the must to do modification to protect your car. What to be careful is to have one with radiator brackets. 

- Towing Points

Many people are mentioning original towing points are not strong enough. Is anyone done this modification can explain what to do what to be careful? Is front and back both needs to be changed? Last leaders lead my back towing point bent a bit and touched to the bumper. I am willing to change it with something heavy duty. 

- Kill Switch

I personally don't have one. I am just closing the traction control button when i start off roading and i haven`t had any issues so far. Many says this is essential, why? I haven`t had any difficulties so far. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Hi @sertac And all Xterra owners

from my side here what I think from humble experience

regarding Skid plate I believe it’s mandatory as the radiator is the weakest link in X . I believe 10 mm aluminum plate is strong enough and it’s not that heavy as it looks and should be counterbalanced by my “ off road stuff box “ which is will fitted in the back. 

regarding tow points I still have the original and I have tested them recently in terms of rust checking and strength and integrity . They are still in good condition ( the only time I was pulled from the rear point was by you 😉 remember ) others were self recovery 😎 ... however I may need to change them if needed accordingly ... Maybe @Chaitanya D has an opinion about that as I learned he installed good ones front and rear .

ABS kill switch I decided eventually to keep it “ Alive “ and rely on developing skills . Traction control off button off only 

Picture : plate fixed by 4 heavy duty screws 

C2E6B631-832D-4B2A-AFB3-6D5B3749059B.jpeg

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 5

Now I am getting the car washed after 1 leaders lead drive I saw the original radiator protection of the car is bend. It can't be more clear why skid plate is a must for Xterras.

https://ibb.co/zHpdD8P

Below as well my rear tow hook. 

https://ibb.co/KbWS57n

Edited by sertac
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Time for plate and tow point 😊

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 4

I agree with what has previously been stated, a skid plate is an absolute must. I would also advise anyone who has just bought an Xterra to have the Engine and Gear Mounts checked as this is also a common issue.

The kill switch makes a difference for sure, especially when tackling those big sldeys . The last thing you want is the ABS to kick in as even the slightest change can cause you an issue when driving under those conditions. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

2 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

I agree with what has previously been stated, a skid plate is an absolute must. I would also advise anyone who has just bought an Xterra to have the Engine and Gear Mounts checked as this is also a common issue.

The kill switch makes a difference for sure, especially when tackling those big sldeys . The last thing you want is the ABS to kick in as even the slightest change can cause you an issue when driving under those conditions. 

@Foxtrot Oscar How can the ABS be an issue especially when tackling big sideys? 

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Mohamed Seidam said:

@Foxtrot Oscar How can the ABS be an issue especially when tackling big sideys? 

I should've referred to Traction Control for sideys. The control system will reduce engine power and apply the brakes to specific wheels that may be slipping. Whilst performing a sidey the car is extremely sensitive to any change be it momentum or direction The resulting change can cause the car to move suddenly when side sloping and that's very dangerous.

ABS stops the wheels from locking and allows us to steer, on a normal road, but we're on sand, and sometimes gravel. 
Sand and gravel under the tires act like tiny tint balls when you step on the brakes. As a result, there will be very little friction/traction between tires and ground.
Therefore, all four wheels want to lock up immediately.
ABS would keep them from doing so. You will keep rolling on and on and on and on. 

Edited by Foxtrot Oscar
  • Like (+1) 7

5 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

I should've referred to Traction Control for sideys. The control system will reduce engine power and apply the brakes to specific wheels that may be slipping. Whilst performing a sidey the car is extremely sensitive to any change be it momentum or direction The resulting change can cause the car to move suddenly when side sloping and that's very dangerous.

ABS stops the wheels from locking and allows us to steer, on a normal road, but we're on sand, and sometimes gravel. 
Sand and gravel under the tires act like tiny tint balls when you step on the brakes. As a result, there will be very little friction/traction between tires and ground.
Therefore, all four wheels want to lock up immediately.
ABS would keep them from doing so. You will keep rolling on and on and on and on. 

Thank you for the explanation 👍

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 4

Must have 

1. Front skid plate with radiator bracket whatever design or color ( 8mm or 10mm) 

2. Front two and rear two recovery points because at intermediate or advanced you are more involved in these recoveries and acts as back up in case one fails or bends. Also helps to secure your shock absorbing support rope (Yato climbers harness at speedex)

3. Abs kill switch 

4. Off road all terrain high profile tires ( Best and easily available at good price is Yokohama AT G015/ Cooper if you can get, BF Goodrich are expensive )

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 7