•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Fewbie PLUS Desert Drive - Area 53 - Sharjah - 02 Oct 2020

Emmanuel

20 hours ago, Emmanuel said:

Possibly. I called Asif after the drive yesterday to check on him and he told me that someone advised him to use tiptronic at all time. Not sure it’s a good advice as it increases the transmission temperature. Personally I only switch to 1and 2 gear when there’s a very high incline or a very difficult crossing. 

Specifically on Pajeros:

On higher level drives my advice would be to use Tiptronic, as the regular D(AUTO) reacts quite slow and overreacts at times. 

The aim of using tiptronic would be to keep the car as much as possible in its same gear. The transmission heats up from constant shifting inbetween gears, which happens more often in D as the car is trying to figure out what you want to do. If you have a steady foot you can keep it in D.

Transmission overheating can have many reasons, but in Pajero adding an extra fan on the oil cooler seems to help. 

@Vanessa8580 started using Tiptronic on most drives now and never faced overheating issues. Of course it depends also on yourself as a driver: if you use tiptronic but are constantly shifting back and forth you will get the same overheating result.

Proper deflation is another thing. I still see lots of people driving with wrong tyre pressure, so the car has to work much harder and brings more stress to drive components, engine, and transmission. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

4 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Specifically on Pajeros:

On higher level drives my advice would be to use Tiptronic, as the regular D(AUTO) reacts quite slow and overreacts at times. 

The aim of using tiptronic would be to keep the car as much as possible in its same gear. The transmission heats up from constant shifting inbetween gears, which happens more often in D as the car is trying to figure out what you want to do. If you have a steady foot you can keep it in D.

Transmission overheating can have many reasons, but in Pajero adding an extra fan on the oil cooler seems to help. 

@Vanessa8580 started using Tiptronic on most drives now and never faced overheating issues. Of course it depends also on yourself as a driver: if you use tiptronic but are constantly shifting back and forth you will get the same overheating result.

Proper deflation is another thing. I still see lots of people driving with wrong tyre pressure, so the car has to work much harder and brings more stress to drive components, engine, and transmission. 

thanks @Frederic - is there merit in considering any different type of transmission oil which is better able to handle higher temperatures ? Or is the additional fan the only solution ?  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, asifk said:

thanks @Frederic - is there merit in considering any different type of transmission oil which is better able to handle higher temperatures ? Or is the additional fan the only solution ?  

Stick to the original oil recommended by Mitsubishi. Otherwise you are opening up a can of worms. The additional fan will most probably solve your problem. Also please investigate for yourself if during high level drives if the car is constantly upshifting and downshifting too frequenty, that could be related to yourself on how you are pushing or holding back the gas pedal. That is why using tiptronic is better as long as again you are not constantly shifting gears.

Long story short: try to keep the car in the same gear as much as possible and a long as possible.

• Like (+1) 5

@asifk

Like Fred said, I never have overheating problems with my Pajero. I always drive in tiptronic but mostly drive in 2nd hear, I only shift back to first to do a hill climb or when I need a little power if I lose momentum. Try to keep your car in 2nd as much as possible ....

• Like (+1) 4

@Frederic the transmission overheating cause you explained agree with it . When I did my first fewbie two weeks ago I was constantly on D2 and in two or three occasions on D 1 . My X never came over 95 degree on the digital transmission dash reading . How ever for the newbie last Friday I kept it on D always . 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Mohamed Seidam said:

@Frederic the transmission overheating cause you explained agree with it . When I did my first fewbie two weeks ago I was constantly on D2 and in two or three occasions on D 1 . My X never came over 95 degree on the digital transmission dash reading . How ever for the newbie last Friday I kept it on D always . 

Yes, for Newbie drives you can perfectly keep it in D mode. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, asifk said:

Hi @asifk 

I use tiptronic from Fewbie+ onwards on all my drive, i drive mostly on 2nd gear and for difficult climb and gaining some momentum where ever required shift to 1st gear. And additional to that i have fixed a  push in fan and changed my engine oil to Mobil 1. I never had heating issue after this, some time when we stuck the temp will rise up little bit, but never worry just switch off the AC and drive a little bit further and it will come back to normal condition. Usually the temperature will increase when u use AC and the car is not moving, that will some what solve my fixing the additional push in Fan.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

35 minutes ago, Shiju Manuel said:

Hi @asifk 

I use tiptronic from Fewbie+ onwards on all my drive, i drive mostly on 2nd gear and for difficult climb and gaining some momentum where ever required shift to 1st gear. And additional to that i have fixed a  push in fan and changed my engine oil to Mobil 1. I never had heating issue after this, some time when we stuck the temp will rise up little bit, but never worry just switch off the AC and drive a little bit further and it will come back to normal condition. Usually the temperature will increase when u use AC and the car is not moving, that will some what solve my fixing the additional push in Fan.

Thanks @Shiju Manuel !

• Like (+1) 3

Important Information

Terms of use