•  
Advertise here

Can I install diff lock system in an old 4x4?

Hi, i am a new joiner. So i have one basic question and that is about diff lock system.Can i install diff lock system in an old 4x4 and make it work till the high level. under same budget of 10k?

if not then can any one recommend an old 4x4 with diff lock option. My plan is to have a seperate vehicle only for dessert off road.

Thanks 

• Like (+1) 3

Hi @Badar Tariq welcome to Carnity and it's off-road club.

Quick answer to your basic question is YES, you can install diff-locker to any/most 4x4 from 2,000 - 5,000 dhs. ARB and TJM diff locker (google it) are pretty famous among many other good off-road brands.

Now next thing I like to tell you that over 90% of off-road vehicle doing weekly off-roading here in UAE is driving without diff-lock as it's not a deal breaker or game changer for off-roading. If you have it, then it's fantastic for self recovery (ONLY), but if you don't have it you can still drive off-road perfectly fine without the diff lockers.

While buying a dedicated off-road vehicle you must answer these few questions first:

• Max budget
  • Purpose: Sand, Mountain, Wadi, Beach, Camping or all
  • Size: LWB (5 doors) or SWB (2 doors)
  • Any special preference of brand of origin like Japanese, Jeep, Nissan etc.
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi @Gaurav thank you for the welcome, i really feel excited to join the club.

Thanks for making me understand the diff lock main purpose because i thought its a must to do off roading.

Plz find below my thoughts on the questions 

• Max budget, Max 15-20k, but cheaper the better but ofcourse i want to spend weekend in dessert not in workshop
  • Purpose: Sand, Mountain, Wadi, Beach, Camping or all... All but with family not too extreme
  • Size: LWB (5 doors) or SWB (2 doors) LWB
  • Any special preference of brand of origin like Japanese, Jeep, Nissan etc. No preference just need good performer.
  • Before checking out the discussion in this group i was looking at jeep grand cherokee but i read tbat it has engine heatup issues..so confused now...
  • Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Badar Tariq said:

Thanks for making me understand the diff lock main purpose because i thought its a must to do off roading.

• Max budget, Max 15-20k, but cheaper the better but ofcourse i want to spend weekend in dessert not in workshop
  • Purpose: Sand, Mountain, Wadi, Beach, Camping or all... All but with family not too extreme
  • Any special preference of brand of origin like Japanese, Jeep, Nissan etc. No preference just need good performer.
  • Before checking out the discussion in this group i was looking at jeep grand cherokee but i read tbat it has engine heatup issues..so confused now...

Hi @Badar Tariq, Looking at your budget and the performance of the vehicles in our club, i would recommend the following:

1) Nissan Xterra. Even the basic model is an amazing offroader that will fit your budget. 

2) Mitsubishi Pajero LWB: 3.5 or 3.8 (3.8 has bit more power). Generation 4 

3) Mitsubishi Pajero SWB: 3.5 or 3.8 (3.8 has bit more power).Generation 4 

4) Nissan Pathfinder R50 model. Go for the 3.5 model.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

25 minutes ago, Badar Tariq said:

Jeep Grand Cherokee heating issues can be solved easily but Jeep Grand cherokee and ''i want to spend weekend in dessert not in workshop'' is not matching :D Cheap Jeep means being best friend of your mechanic. In your case you can look for 2008-2010 Xterra or 2007-2011 Pajero with that budget. 

Edited by sertac
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

5 hours ago, Frederic said:

Hi @Badar Tariq, Looking at your budget and the performance of the vehicles in our club, i would recommend the following:

1) Nissan Xterra. Even the basic model is an amazing offroader that will fit your budget. 

Thanks. Searching now....

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/29/2020 at 9:38 AM, Frederic said:

Hi @Gaurav I have short listed some pajeros but i need your guidance to understand that how much is the gain i will have in 3.8 over 3.5. because i was doing cost vs gain analysis between 3.5 to 3.8. the question in my mind is that How much important is to have 3.8L engine? bkx i found some good deals on 3.5 with full options but i am not touching them and only searching for 3.8L.

• Like (+1) 2

The 3.5 SWB is also good, but from intermediate level will need to pushed harder and you’ll have less power margin. The 3.8 has enough margin and eventually will run a bit cooler. @Wrangeld has recently bought a 3.8 and also did test a 3.5 and might be able to tell you the difference.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."