•  

COVID19 Compliant - Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - Al Faqaa - Dubai - 09 Oct 2020

Emmanuel

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and and strictly follow these guidelines in order not to jeopardize someone's health, and to ensure we can keep organizing these drives safely.

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: COVID19 Precautions

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: BAN POST

Two Way Radio Guidelines

• Every Offroader brings his own radio, programmed to the frequencies described in below advice topic.
  • We will not share spare radios or program your radio on the drive. If you need assistance in programming the radio, post a topic on the Carnity website with your questions and we will help you out. 
  • Make sure your radio is fully charged. It will be your only way of communication while driving.
  • Before buying, please carefully read below advice so you are informed properly on which model / cost / shops...
  • No radio = No drive. It is an essential tool and you should make sure you bring it on every drive and learn/practice how to use it.

Drive Details

Level:  Intermediate and above

When:  9 October 2020, Friday

Meeting time: 6:00 AM (Sharp - without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: https://goo.gl/maps/kn26ynFApcMYopzJ8

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 10:00 AM

End Point: Solar Park

THIS IS A COMPRESSOR ONLY DRIVE. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A COMPRESSOR, PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS DRIVE. IF YOU ARRIVE AND HAVE NO COMPRESSOR YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO JOIN THE DRIVE. 

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE:

• Limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Thursday - 9 AM.
    • 1 Lead Marshal + 1 senior Member + 8 Members.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list. 
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE BELOW CALENDAR

• Like (+1) 2

Dear @Emmanuel, unfortunately my car is undergoing some repairs (front bumper replacing and... yesss, cutting) and due to delays with the insurance approval they won't be finished before friday, so I won't be able to join. I therefore (and sadly so) canceled my RSVP.

Enjoy the ride! 

• Like (+1) 3

Drive is now closed

@Kalahari, @Shiju Manuel, @Anish S, @Nivin, @Pancho, @Mehmet Volga See you everyone tomorrow morning. According to weather forecast, there might be some fog at dawn, so don't move too late from home and please drive safe.    

Here is our convoy numbering: 

1. Emmanuel (White Xterra) / Kalahari (Red Xterra) 

2. Kalahari (Red Xterra) / Emmanuel (White Xterra)

3. Shiju (Grey Pajero)

4. Anish (White Pajero)

5.  Nivin (Blue Xterra) 

6. Pancho (Wrangler)

7. Mehmet (Grey Pajero)

We will use Carnity Radio Channel 5. 

• Like (+1) 5

58 minutes ago, Emmanuel said:

Drive is now closed

@Kalahari, @Shiju Manuel, @Anish S, @Nivin, @Pancho, @Mehmet Volga See you everyone tomorrow morning. According to weather forecast, there might be some fog at dawn, so don't move too late from home and please drive safe.    

Here is our convoy numbering: 

1. Emmanuel (White Xterra) / Kalahari (Red Xterra) 

2. Kalahari (Red Xterra) / Emmanuel (White Xterra)

3. Shiju (Grey Pajero)

4. Anish (White Pajero)

5.  Nivin (Blue Xterra) 

6. Pancho (Wrangler)

7. Mehmet (Grey Pajero)

We will use Carnity Radio Channel 5. 

Hi @Emmanuel sorry to inform you that due an emergency family call  i have to pull out from this drive.  See you soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

Trip report

I arrived at the deflation point at 05:30, on a misty morning, with lots of anticipation.  This was my first trip that I had to plan and will lead from start to (semi) finish, and I was quite tentative on what Faqa would dish up today. Thankfully I had the extremely capable @Emmanuel to mentor me on this trip, and a short convoy of very capable Intermediates.  We deflated as night turned into day and headed off just after 06:00.   Pretty soon we were in moderately technical dunes and we were challenged to use finesse rather than power to make headways.  @Mehmet Volga had his first taste of rope recovery, when I (deliberately of course :-)) crested - and he did extremely well, with a very controlled soft tuck to get things going again. 

We progressed through a very diverse mix of terrains, including semi-highways in dune streets, sharp-crested moderate dunes, long-ranged dunes, and areas of beautiful trees and vegetation.  Given the mad congestion at some of the usual off-road hotspots in Dubai, it is always a pleasure to drive in these quite areas where the only other living things seems to be gazelle.  We tried to include a few ridges and criss-crossings, and everybody did extremely well.  Apart from a few minor refusals, we covered about 47 km to the track to Solar Park, where @Emmanuel took the lead to give us a short taste of Little Sweihan. 

Unfortunately, by this time the sun was quite bright and the extra-soft sands of LS dished up some unpalatable dessert, mixed with quite a dose of desert sand, with a LOT of shoveling and pushing!  At least this provided all of us with invaluable recovery learning, as @Emmanuel showed us multiple ways to attempt self-recovery.  Ultimately the use of 2 x kinetic ropes solved a tricky problem - as the convoy of @Ale Vallecchi and @Tbone passed us quietly without even a wave :-(.  We exited after a very enjoyable drive (for me at least).  All in all 64 km, with the desert mainly to ourselves - what a way to spend a Friday morning!

Thanks to @Anish S (on only his second Intermediary drive - you did well!); @Nivin (growing exponentially in confidence in his X!); @Pancho (your dedication to this sport is unparalleled, and you showed some finesse today with your Jeep); and @Mehmet Volga (great job as sweep and supporting the recoveries) - well done do all of you! And thanks @Emmanuel for your advise and support - the worst thing about this sport, is that the more experience you get, the more you realise how little you know! Great to have your experience on hand.  Hope to see all of you in the sand soon!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 4

Thank you @Kalahari for your wonderful lead and report. I guess everyone enjoyed the drive, even with the last double stuck in LS. 
I totally agree with you, everyone did absolutely great this morning.
Agree also 100% on this:

50 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

Given the mad congestion at some of the usual off-road hotspots in Dubai, it is always a pleasure to drive in these quite areas where the only other living things seems to be gazelle. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Kalahari said:

Trip report

I arrived at the deflation point at 05:30, on a misty morning, with lots of anticipation.  This was my first trip that I had to plan and will lead from start to (semi) finish, and I was quite tentative on what Faqa would dish up today. Thankfully I had the extremely capable @Emmanuel to mentor me on this trip, and a short convoy of very capable Intermediates.  We deflated as night turned into day and headed off just after 06:00.   Pretty soon we were in moderately technical dunes and we were challenged to use finesse rather than power to make headways.  @Mehmet Volga had his first taste of rope recovery, when I (deliberately of course :-)) crested - and he did extremely well, with a very controlled soft tuck to get things going again. 

We progressed through a very diverse mix of terrains, including semi-highways in dune streets, sharp-crested moderate dunes, long-ranged dunes, and areas of beautiful trees and vegetation.  Given the mad congestion at some of the usual off-road hotspots in Dubai, it is always a pleasure to drive in these quite areas where the only other living things seems to be gazelle.  We tried to include a few ridges and criss-crossings, and everybody did extremely well.  Apart from a few minor refusals, we covered about 47 km to the track to Solar Park, where @Emmanuel took the lead to give us a short taste of Little Sweihan. 

Unfortunately, by this time the sun was quite bright and the extra-soft sands of LS dished up some unpalatable dessert, mixed with quite a dose of desert sand, with a LOT of shoveling and pushing!  At least this provided all of us with invaluable recovery learning, as @Emmanuel showed us multiple ways to attempt self-recovery.  Ultimately the use of 2 x kinetic ropes solved a tricky problem - as the convoy of @Ale Vallecchi and @Tbone passed us quietly without even a wave :-(.  We exited after a very enjoyable drive (for me at least).  All in all 64 km, with the desert mainly to ourselves - what a way to spend a Friday morning!

Thanks to @Anish S (on only his second Intermediary drive - you did well!); @Nivin (growing exponentially in confidence in his X!); @Pancho (your dedication to this sport is unparalleled, and you showed some finesse today with your Jeep); and @Mehmet Volga (great job as sweep and supporting the recoveries) - well done do all of you! And thanks @Emmanuel for your advise and support - the worst thing about this sport, is that the more experience you get, the more you realise how little you know! Great to have your experience on hand.  Hope to see all of you in the sand soon!

Amazing @Kalahari ! Really looking forward to be in one of your drives very soon !

• Like (+1) 7

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

11 hours ago, Kalahari said:

the worst thing about this sport, is that the more experience you get, the more you realise how little you know!

Very well said @Kalahari . I believe every single drive is different than the next or previous one even within the same rank . Looking forward to drive with you soon .

cheers 👍🚙😎

• Like (+1) 3

This drive was really good and joyful for me and my car as well :D There were many 'firsts';

1- My first intermediate drive

2- My first rope recovery

3- My first 'tiptronic' driving 

Upon transmission overheat problem I faced last week and following the advices given by @Frederic and @Vanessa8580 , I tried manual mode driving this time. At result, no issue with transmission heat and I also realized that it is much more funnier than auto mode driving! Yes, it is a bit strange at the beginning but once you get familiar, it is really fun playing with transmission, following your momentum, listening your engine noise and reacting accordingly! I enjoyed it! 

My first rope recovery supervised by @Emmanuel from the behind and @Kalahari from the front was a well instructive beginning for such recoveries in the future.

Big thanks to leads @Emmanuel and @Kalahari for their great management; also all the others @Anish S @Nivin @Pancho for their excellent performance in high tempo.

Even stucks were beneficial since I made good shoveling and 'push-up` exercises (by pushing the cars :D)... It was a bit challenging for a smoker like me but you cannot be fit without any difficulty...

See you next drive!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use