•  
Advertise here

Jeep Grand Cherokee Project car.

This write up is from a friend of mine Mohit who is unable to access Carnity. But he wanted to share his experience with everyone to learn from his experience. Hope you enjoy the read and any comments will be passed on to him.

Hi Folks,

So, I have been off your trail for carnity. 

I must admit that got too occupied and now as I picked up a project car thought good to share what I learnt.

Now, I am sure quite a few of you would find the content normal but for those who love to venture and have a passion for old cars and saving one from sure death would enjoy reading it.

I came across a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2004 gcc specs 4.7 litre quadratec which was literally getting wasted in my friends place.

Couldn’t stand the fact that roaring beast is confined.

So when I started it, it still had in it, the engine came alive  like a boom.

The fun started when I took it to road with everything literally jumping, bouncing and looked falling apart.

Coolant falling, oil spills, misfires and someone out of frustration had torn the tires with a screw driver along with seats.

Anyhow, so after getting the vehicle under my name the actual work started.

Tires- Easiest bit got the used one for AED350 with balancing. Amazing road grip I think I got a good deal for 4 pcs.

Oil spils – The Hose of Power steering was gone so it had to be repaired and bled/flush the oil ( AED 100 including the oil)

Coolant – Surprise came as leak was not from radiator but the reservoir tank was bad so got a used one (AED 100)

Misfires – OBD sensors were replaced (2 of them) along with 8 spark plugs ( 8th one had to call a makhratiya as they say to remove plug was just stuck so hard) costed a total of another 600

Here, I did a mistake by trying a guy near my house who claimed its coils and what not I paid AED250 for nothing to him.

Engine oil, filters are separate.(AED 150 in total with labour)

AC – There was leak in condenser pipe repairable though costed AED 250 with gas run well and cools amazingly.

SEATS- This was another AED150 to stich the driver and little patch work on passenger seats.

A total of AED 1500+ spend to get the car running on road

Adventure actually started when I suddenly experience the turns are little too steep (swaying). 

Took it back to the Suspension shops the first one claimed it’s the spring coils which obviously did not convince me, I suspected the bushes after trying few shops they explained it’s the bushes which have gone bad and Struts and springs are good to go for another year or so.

Lowest quotation for changing them AED 850 with a total of 10 bushes and labour charge.

So this makes the car for 2300 + registration and insurance ( AED 4500 roughly  is the final cost)

Some of you might after reading this will say I could have bought a better working Jeep v8 of 2004 or may be higher model by adding another 1000 or so.

Yes, and in my opinion may be not.

This car is more a project for the love I felt when I saw it at first glance. It was about saving a really beautiful vehicle from its grave.

Mileage on the car is 230000kms GCC specs and is top of the line. but I guess its nothing for Jeep’s of that age.

I plan to keep it at least for 2 years and then will look for another affordable project lol.

Until I write again C ya

UNQUOTE

IMG-20201004-WA0005.jpg

• Like (+1) 8
  • WOW (+2) 1

Nice write up. Having a project car is amazing and seeing it slowly coming alive and getting better gives a huge sense of achievement, as long as you remain realistic about the money, labor, sweat and tears it might also take. 

With the money I have spent already on my little project car, I could have bought a nice capable Off-roader with less miles on the clock, but then again I love driving something that’s rare and brings a challenge to tame.

I totally understand this guy and wish him all the best to make the beast roar again. Best feeling in the world!

• Like (+1) 5

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Indeed the JGC is a roaring beast , Ask me about it ,especially the 10 years back models , and still roars till now in , I would say , a delicate fine and sharp way with all of the electronics and sophisticated Data in it .

I agree with @Rahimdad friend about why not , as long as the project within reasonable time frame and budget .

I had to make a tough decision wether to make a project on my existing JGC 2015 and to make it to be Sand “ resistant “ vehicle thorough couple of mods ( ground clearance , High profile tires, spacers suspension related to its trim , under car armor to protect radiator and engine , electronic modifications to kill things you all know ...etc ) and with best hands the coast of all that was approaching a figure near 18000 . Also keep in mind the maintenance which is quite not cheep .So I took a step back and had a second thought. .... eventually I left the luxury for home and got my X with best deal and the parallel projects had almost compatible final price .However with X peace of mind ( personal opinion )

cheers 😎🚙👍

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, sertac said:

Man please don't show me Jeep project cars. You are pushing me to start another one :D I might not be able to resist if i see a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9.

Can’t deny it’s temptation 😎

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, sertac said:

Man please don't show me Jeep project cars. You are pushing me to start another one :D I might not be able to resist if i see a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9.

Yeah very tempted to do one but just don't have the time now.  The image below is of the last one I did back home in 2013. Took about 7 months to complete it. Bought the vehicle as scrap from the army junk yard and striped it down to bare metal before putting it back together with my trusted mechanic. 

Screenshot_20201005-095836_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Brette
  • Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

@Brette 

This is a complete restoration from the scrap graveyard to the most difficult terrain this vehicle would like to be in.👍 

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Brette said:

Yeah very tempted to do one but just don't have the time now.  The image below is of the last one I did back home in 2013. Took about 7 months to complete it. Bought the vehicle as scrap from the army junk yard and striped it down to bare metal before putting it back together with my trusted mechanic. 

Screenshot_20201005-095836_Facebook.jpg

Looks cool :)

• Like (+1) 2

I am missing my Jeeps too bad. Nissan definitely not giving the same feeling. Not even close. When i was driving my XJ i was feeling pride to have it. Now Xterra like another Japanese crap on the road. 

5B97Hh.jpg

5BfMqf.jpg

5Bwk2N.jpg

5Bwn40.jpg

• Like (+1) 4