•  
Advertise here

Non-GCC Spec Cars Pros & Cons

Looper

Hi All, 

I see a lot of non-GCC spec cars in the second hand market & off brand showrooms. I was wondering what are the benefits and pitfalls of buying those cars.

Only thing I reason I could think why one would import such cars is either they are not available here or if they are then they are cheaper. I was considering Suzuki Jimny last year - which was only available at off-brand showrooms as import but it was a lot more expensive compared to the UK version listed there. Other cars that are available here they are cheaper if they are imports.

don't drive like its your last one.

27 minutes ago, Goutam said:

Hi All, 

I see a lot of non-GCC spec cars in the second hand market & off brand showrooms. I was wondering what are the benefits and pitfalls of buying those cars.

Only thing I reason I could think why one would import such cars is either they are not available here or if they are then they are cheaper. I was considering Suzuki Jimny last year - which was only available at off-brand showrooms as import but it was a lot more expensive compared to the UK version listed there. Other cars that are available here they are cheaper if they are imports.

We need to split them up in two categories:

1) USA spec cars: These are mostly insurance written off vehicles from US that were involved in an accident or have flood damage. You can be lucky to find one which was exported for none of these reasons, but you will need to be extra cautious, do a VIN check and try to find owner/maintenance history and get the vehicle inspected by a skilled mechanic. In some cases the cars are imported in the UAE, quicky welded back together in a workshop in Sharjah, and thrown back on the market. In other words if you don't want to take these risks AVOID US spec cars.

2) Japan spec cars: These are mostly vehicles that did not pass the strict yearly inspections in Japan, or were exported because of age or other reasons. I have seen very nice low mileage Japan cars and personally would not mind buying one if the condition is fine.

In both above cases the pitfalls is buying a salvaged vehicle that has been fixed up quickly, in other words a LEMON. But if you want to take the risk, benefits are much lower prices.

Also note that some non-GCC vehicles do not have the same specs in terms of engine cooling / radiator, and will struggle in this climate.

@DANIEL NOGUEIRA as you are in the business, you can tell me i am wrong or add your view on this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I would like to add to what @Frederic explained and it’s considered one of the disadvantages of generally non GCC vehicles that they are not fully covered by most reputable insurance companies and off road not covered , possibly due to the risk of being a “ LEMON “ even if apparently looked fine !

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

We need to split them up in two categories:

1) USA spec cars: These are mostly insurance written off vehicles from US that were involved in an accident or have flood damage. You can be lucky to find one which was exported for none of these reasons, but you will need to be extra cautious, do a VIN check and try to find owner/maintenance history and get the vehicle inspected by a skilled mechanic. In some cases the cars are imported in the UAE, quicky welded back together in a workshop in Sharjah, and thrown back on the market. In other words if you don't want to take these risks AVOID US spec cars.

2) Japan spec cars: These are mostly vehicles that did not pass the strict yearly inspections in Japan, or were exported because of age or other reasons. I have seen very nice low mileage Japan cars and personally would not mind buying one if the condition is fine.

In both above cases the pitfalls is buying a salvaged vehicle that has been fixed up quickly, in other words a LEMON. But if you want to take the risk, benefits are much lower prices.

Also note that some non-GCC vehicles do not have the same specs in terms of engine cooling / radiator, and will struggle in this climate.

@DANIEL NOGUEIRA as you are in the business, you can tell me i am wrong or add your view on this.

Hi guys, yes I'm in the car business market, also I have a garage. So my point of view is on a lot of experience on all type of cars. 

Americans : 99% salvage cars as @Fredericsaid. For me it's good Cost x Benefit cars, because I dont see accidents as a big issue if it's been fixed properly since accidents happens to GCC cars as well. Sure that you will not have warranty nor service contract on this cars, but in the other hand you are paying much less. Maybe some insurance companies might not accept,  but many will... about the heat, I ask you, what temperature does your car work on ? Should be 90 degrees,  so do you think that a 50 degrees outside temperature will do any harm ? This "belief " came because most of the cars had a front accident,  and many times pipes or radiator were not fixed how it should, that's why some heat problems, what could also happen to GCC cars. AC I never had problems because its American or not.... for me it's a good COST x BENEFIT.  Watch out for luxury flooded cars with too many electronics, it can be an issue, but all depends on the conditions of the car.. 

Japanese: I dont trust in the km, they are always very low, what doesn't make sense. But usually all in good shape.

Europeans : really need to check, I've seen cars that are not available in uae and also accident (salvage) cars. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1