•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Evening Newbie Desert Drive - Al Qudra - Dubai - 16 Oct 2020

Frederic

What an awesome evening, my first evening drive. Seeing stars in Dubai finally, Drive back in darkness   everyone did so well driving and get out at the end. Thanks @Fredericfor the last little climb challenge. Look forward to the next drive. 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Frederic said:

DRIVE REPORT

Challenges accepted

With the weather cooling down, deflating the tyres at 3:30 in the afternoon has become less of a torture, and it was good to see everyone coming on time, ready to hit the sand and eager to see a beautiful sunset. 

The drive started gentle with some nice long slopes, and we came across a few other convoys who also decided to head out to the East side of Qudra, which is generally a bit calmer, but I was surprised to see even on this side a lot of cross tracks and churned up sand which deemed a bit challenging for a Newbie level drive.

Once we headed into more technical terrain, where at some areas the churned up tracks were like powder sand, the refusals started to come in, and the sun was setting, which is for many newbies also a bit of a scary feeling to cross dunes. 

Nevertheless the whole team stepped up to the plate to help each other out, and I was really happy to see that team spirit emerging in members that only have done a few drives with us. 

On our way to the exit, I noticed a car standing on top of a dune, and had the feeling this was another Carnity convoy who was dealing with some nasty stucks and on their way out to the exit as well. We decided to line up both convoys on the dirt track and recover the remaining vehicles. A big thanks to my convoy for waiting on the dirt track while we dealt with this. 

@VipinShetty thanks a lot for your second lead, and your patience while I was driving back and forth :)

@Bhaskar you did great yesterday, I hope your tyre is sorted. As mentioned you probably just have a bit of sand inside your wheels which can be removed in a tyre workshop.

@Sai Baskaran and @Baskaran P.R I hope you had a good time together, you drove really well !

@DANIEL NOGUEIRA you finally got stuck for the first time, which is probably what you wanted :) Thanks a lot for stepping up as spotter and helping out the reroute and guide the remaining cars out of the technical area !.  Have a look at the front towpoints, as the bar we used is not really a good solution. You will need to install a tow hook on both from points. This will be the safest solution.

@Probir Mukherjee the Landcruiser is a mighty capable vehicle, and with more drives you will soon master it effortlessly. Your wife did a fantastic job with communication over the radio. 

@Kailas you are stepping up the plate with recovery assistance and helping out others. Thank you so much !!

@Gok Krish you are finding your way in your Wrangler without much effort. Very impressive !

@Piotr Kolodziej with the Blue FJ Cruiser and wide smile crossing the dunes, love your attitude. Keep it up !

@Goutam love to see that Yellow beast surfing through the dunes, well driven !

@Malachy McGrogan and @Melenany who were both destined to be crested at one point, did the complete opposite. Goes to show how good you are both in control of your trucks. Superb !!

@Aravind Padmaraju your Xterra is a super capable off-roader, and with some practice you will soon master it. Don't be afraid of pushing it a bit because that's what its made for :) PS you will find instructions on how to program the radio below:

A big thanks to @Chaitanya D for sweeping this massive convoy and helping out with the many recoveries we did near the end !

Thank you @Fredericand @Chaitanya D and everyone else for the great drive, a lot of learning! The tire thing is sorted, went to a tire shop this morning and got it thoroughly cleaned. As you'd rightly pointed out, the issue was due to some sand stuck between the tire and the rim. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Thanks @Frederic for your guidance , drive was amongst the toughest of the 6 drives done so far, first time for me to get stuck and needing a tug .I was told am shy on gas but belive me ,I was flooring it .I think the sand was very soft and may be we need 12 psi iso 15 ..also cresting due to lack of momentum and recovery by 4 lo , diff lock , steering left right was a nice self recovery experience .Thanks @Chaitanya Dfor your support with the tug and radio guidance .

Edited by Probir Mukherjee
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

A big thanks to @Frederic for leading the convoy. @Chaitanya D was very helpful at back guiding stuck me. Also a big thumbs up for @Kailas guiding me on a couple of spots. All in all it was a wonderful experience and most difficult trails till date for me. But with all the help and guidance I learnt a lot.

AllTrails

Gaia GPS

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

15 minutes ago, Probir Mukherjee said:

Thanks @Frederic for your guidance , drive was amongst the toughest of the 6 drives done so far, first time for me to get stuck and needing a tug .I was told am shy on gas but belive me ,I was flooring it .I think the sand was very soft and may be we need 12 psi iso 15 ..also cresting due to lack of momentum and recovery by 4 lo , diff lock , steering left right was a nice self recovery experience .Thanks Chaitanya for your support with the tug and radio guidance .

Hi Probir yes i agree the sand was very soft yesterday. 12-13 psi  would have helped but also increases the risk for a pop-out with normal road tyres. 

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thanks @Frederic for your guidance , drive was amongst the toughest of the 6 drives done so far, first time for me to get stuck and needing a tug .I was told am shy on gas but belive me ,I was flooring it .I think the sand was very soft and may be we need 12 psi iso 15 ..also cresting due to lack of momentum and recovery by 4 lo , diff lock , steering left right was a nice self recovery experience .Thanks Chaitanya for your support with the tug and radio guidance .

Is it good for all Terrain tyres ?@Fredric 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Probir Mukherjee said:

Is it good for all Terrain tyres ?@Fredric 

Yes with good all terrain tyres the sidewalls are stronger, which will allow you to deflate further down to 10-12 psi without issues.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

21 hours ago, Frederic said:

DRIVE REPORT

Challenges accepted

With the weather cooling down, deflating the tyres at 3:30 in the afternoon has become less of a torture, and it was good to see everyone coming on time, ready to hit the sand and eager to see a beautiful sunset. 

The drive started gentle with some nice long slopes, and we came across a few other convoys who also decided to head out to the East side of Qudra, which is generally a bit calmer, but I was surprised to see even on this side a lot of cross tracks and churned up sand which deemed a bit challenging for a Newbie level drive.

Once we headed into more technical terrain, where at some areas the churned up tracks were like powder sand, the refusals started to come in, and the sun was setting, which is for many newbies also a bit of a scary feeling to cross dunes. 

Nevertheless the whole team stepped up to the plate to help each other out, and I was really happy to see that team spirit emerging in members that only have done a few drives with us. 

On our way to the exit, I noticed a car standing on top of a dune, and had the feeling this was another Carnity convoy who was dealing with some nasty stucks and on their way out to the exit as well. We decided to line up both convoys on the dirt track and recover the remaining vehicles. A big thanks to my convoy for waiting on the dirt track while we dealt with this. 

@VipinShetty thanks a lot for your second lead, and your patience while I was driving back and forth :)

@Bhaskar you did great yesterday, I hope your tyre is sorted. As mentioned you probably just have a bit of sand inside your wheels which can be removed in a tyre workshop.

@Sai Baskaran and @Baskaran P.R I hope you had a good time together, you drove really well !

@DANIEL NOGUEIRA you finally got stuck for the first time, which is probably what you wanted :) Thanks a lot for stepping up as spotter and helping out the reroute and guide the remaining cars out of the technical area !.  Have a look at the front towpoints, as the bar we used is not really a good solution. You will need to install a tow hook on both from points. This will be the safest solution.

@Probir Mukherjee the Landcruiser is a mighty capable vehicle, and with more drives you will soon master it effortlessly. Your wife did a fantastic job with communication over the radio. 

@Kailas you are stepping up the plate with recovery assistance and helping out others. Thank you so much !!

@Gok Krish you are finding your way in your Wrangler without much effort. Very impressive !

@Piotr Kolodziej with the Blue FJ Cruiser and wide smile crossing the dunes, love your attitude. Keep it up !

@Goutam love to see that Yellow beast surfing through the dunes, well driven !

@Malachy McGrogan and @Melenany who were both destined to be crested at one point, did the complete opposite. Goes to show how good you are both in control of your trucks. Superb !!

@Aravind Padmaraju your Xterra is a super capable off-roader, and with some practice you will soon master it. Don't be afraid of pushing it a bit because that's what its made for :) PS you will find instructions on how to program the radio below:

A big thanks to @Chaitanya D for sweeping this massive convoy and helping out with the many recoveries we did near the end !

thanks for the opportunity @Frederic the drive was indeed challening and thanks for the recovery as well when i found myself at an awkward angle. 

looking forward to support you with some recoveries as well!

thanks @Chaitanya D for your support and guidance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Krishnakumar said:

Hi @Frederic, please add me to the waiting list for this evening drive.

This is last week drive 

• Haha (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

Important Information

Terms of use