•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Pink Rock - Sharjah - 16 Oct 2020

Wrangeld

Dear Pink Rockers, 

@luwaimn @RAKIN KURIAKOSE @Gijo Javob @Hardik Mody @SureshVNair @Andrei @Kaushal Prithwani @[email protected] @Ahab Shamaa

Here is the finalised convoy numbering for the drive tomorrow morning. THIS DRIVE IS NOW CLOSED. 

image.png.afea415b93164d7e5d30df1b99959bd2.png

We will be using  Carnity Radio Channel #1.  Please make sure your radio is pre preprogrammed to this frequency. 

So that we can start the drive as quickly as possible please arrive on time (or early) and when you arrive, please can you:

1. Deflate your tires to 13PSI.
  2. Put up your offroad flag.
  3. Make sure your ABS/traction controls are off.
  4. Put the car into 4H

We are very lucky to have quite a short convoy for a Newbie drive so will be able to challenge ourselves to take advantage of that. I will be supported by @Lorenzo Candelpergher on the drive, but as we do not have a formal centre forward on this drive, we will be looking for you to self recover as much as possible during the drive and will be giving a lot of attention to helping anyone who gets stuck recover without being tugged or towed. We will brief more on this before teh drive leaves. 

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow. It promises to be a lovely cool start to the day, so let's take abvantage of the fact that the crust of the sand will be nice a crackly and get moving before the sand starts to get soft and busy.  

See you (very soon) in the sand. 

image.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Wow! What a wonderful drive 😀

When I got home, I wouldn’t shut up about how much I enjoyed it despite my family’s efforts to quiet me down 😂

A big thanks goes out to @Wrangeld and @Lorenzo Candelpergher for helping us out, teaching us and being patient with us. 
Towing the Jeep was really commendable and puts in practice the “no man left behind” concept.
The Noobs were also wonderful, and I learned a lot from my fellow riders. 

With that, I hope to see you guys on the sand again soon!

Ahab

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 3

@Wrangeld and @Lorenzo Candelpergher, thank you guys so much for todays drive. I personally loved to see the recoveries.

My daughter loved the drive all-together and somehow is confident that we will be coming next Friday too.

@Andrei , great job slaying the dunes. We were a great 3 peddle team! Hope your clutch is ready in time for the next drive.

I have posted some pics in the gallery, will try and upload a basic video by Sunday (without mine and my daughters chatter in the background)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Dear @Wrangeld,

Every drive in the desert is an opportunity for learning something new. 

Today's lesson for me was about how not to forget my radio again:

1. Keep on using that check list you prepared long ago as a newbie not to forget anything of the many things needed for a desert drive.  

2. Never change which plug you connect your radio charger to.. 😂 😂. The few neurons on early morning duty may not be the same ones of the evening before and may not know about the change. 

3. Both lessons above apply especially when you wake up at 5am and skip your morning caffeine shot.

After sharing this FUNDAMENTAL learning, I must say I enjoyed today's ride very much, also because it reminded me of my very first Absolute Newbie Carnity drive back in March at Pink Rock. 

Arriving late due to my forgotten radio made me miss the magic of watching the sunrise, which is one of the morning desert driving rituals I like the most. 

I was unforgivably late, having driven an extra 100km to get back home and retrieve my radio, but luckily @Wrangeld entertained everyone in my absence performing a pretend stuck in order to let me reach the convoy and make a pretend spectacular entrance to tug him out.. 😂😂

The drive continued very smoothly, with very few stucks and refusals, which were however great learning opportunities. 

Only the experience of getting crested a few times will eventually let every driver get the feeling of how much power is needed to get past the dune and overcome that moment of hesitation when one lifts the foot a bit too early. 

The same applies to self-recoveries: it is only by seeing with one's own eyes how powerful shoveling can be in getting out of nasty stucks that one will learn how not to be too easily relying on a friend's tug. 

I think @Ahab Shamaa , whom I could watch driving very well his FJ in front of me, had further interesting learning today: if you loose visual sight of the car in front of you, you may end up following the wrong tracks and lose the convoy. If you stay too close, on the opposite, especially when crossing a dune when again you don't have visual sight, you may find yourself definitely way too close and risk an impact. Always look at the flags! 

When we finally made it to Pink Rock we found ourselves in a Sheikh Zayed Road traffic scenario, with convoys coming, going and stopping everywhere and infinite tracks, bumpy and soft sand but we had anyway a good time at the playground. 

Towing @Andrei's jeep out to the main road was a must and a personal pleasure: at Carnity I've learned helping your drive companions is really a fundamental part of the sport as much as the driving itself may be.

See you soon! 

Edited by Lorenzo Candelpergher
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use