•  
Advertise here

Pajero Drive Modes

2 hours ago, manoj nair said:

Thank you, @Frederic for very useful info. Would like know about D1, D2 D... use also

Hi @manoj nair D1 and D2 in a Pajero are the first two gears in tiptronic. You can toggle between them while off-roading.

• Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

• 1 month later...

Thank you @Frederic, just the question I had and got the answer however there seems to be some opinions to drive in HLc.

Also, in some drives when the we stop because the convoy has stopped for  a reason, we may find ourselves in softer sand and trying to move slower feels like we are going to dig ourselves in-not sure if others have experienced this. Whats the approach to be take to avoid digging ourselves when we try to move as the convoy moves? Do we choose HLc here as we need to start moving in convoy ? or is it okay to always use HLc? If HLc is not always recommended, why not?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, sri ganesh said:

Thank you @Frederic, just the question I had and got the answer however there seems to be some opinions to drive in HLc.

Also, in some drives when the we stop because the convoy has stopped for  a reason, we may find ourselves in softer sand and trying to move slower feels like we are going to dig ourselves in-not sure if others have experienced this. Whats the approach to be take to avoid digging ourselves when we try to move as the convoy moves? Do we choose HLc here as we need to start moving in convoy ? or is it okay to always use HLc? If HLc is not always recommended, why not?

Driving in HLc will change the power ratio from 70/30 (front/back) to 50/50. 

Whenever you start moving you should do it gently. 4H or 4HLc will not make any difference at that point. More important would be to find your ideal tyre pressure as that would avoid your car from sinking in. If you have normal road Tyres don’t go lower than 12-13 psi. With off-road tyres you’ll be able to deflate further down to 10psi which will improve flotation.

Also avoid stopping abruptly, as that makes the tyres sink in. Try coasting to a stop and dont stop the car on an incline, but at a decline or flat level. 

There are people who swear by driving in 4HLc and notice improvement. Myself I’m a big fan of the viscous coupling that works extremely well in sending the right amount of power to the right wheels at the right time (4H).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

• 1 month later...

As some of you already know, I have been suffering from the performance of my 3.5 L - LWB pajero in recent drives. It is well-enough on small technical dunes and most of the times I am able to make self-recoveries. However, I think the HP of new-gen pajeros are not enough (190 HP only) to drive on long-track taller dunes. My car is not able to reach at the top of Al Faya or iftar bowl dunes and I always have to steer down at the half of the way since it is losing its momentum. I have tried with 2nd gear, first gear, high speed and pushing maximum; but none of those ever worked... As far as I see during my drives, even 3.8 L versions are not able to do it... Don't know the others, but I am a bit bored to watch all xterras, FJs, wranglers easily reaching up...

My question is about 4HLc gear mode whether it can be used for such long climbing tracks. I circled it on the photo below.

This one is high-gear mode with locked-center. I know that the locked differential is not advised on paved roads and also not safe if you need to make turns. However, does it work on sand (soft ground) and on a straight direction? For example, climbing straight up to al faya without making sharp turns? Do not have any idea whether this mode would increase the performance so your comments are appreciated, if any one has used this mode before. @Frederic @Vanessa8580 @Gaurav @Wrangeld @Anish S @Veedooshee @Yousef Alimadadi

20201229_173711.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

Like you correctly said 4HLc should not be used on paved roads as it has the central diff locked. But it's perfectly fine to drive it while on the sand.

However having said that despite putting 4HLc you will not be able to climb Faya straight up. You could probably do IFB from the left side depending on the condition of the track, momentum, and model year of your Pajero. 2008-2011 years have the upshifting problem. But in one of my earlier drives we had a 3.5 Pajero 2015 model reach the top of IFB as he had the right approach and momentum.

Long hill climb will be a limitation of a Pajero but if you see, we do hill climbs less than 10% in our drives. So this is a small limitation in the bigger picture. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2