•  
Advertise here

LED Light bar questions

Hi!

I have an 2017 FJ with the original roof bars. I would like to install one led bar at the front of the roof, which I have seen many have, for off roading.

My questions/concerns from those of you who have this kind of light installet are 2:

1. Is the light from this position "good", I mean not reflecting/lighting up the bonet?

2. Is there a lot of extra noise when driving on the highway?

Thanks for your inputs,

/Chris

• Like (+1) 6

32 minutes ago, Christian Andras said:

Hi!

I have an 2017 FJ with the original roof bars. I would like to install one led bar at the front of the roof, which I have seen many have, for off roading.

My questions/concerns from those of you who have this kind of light installet are 2:

1. Is the light from this position "good", I mean not reflecting/lighting up the bonet?

Thanks for your inputs,

/Chris

Hi @Christian Andras your points and concerns are completely valid. I used to have a double led bar mounted on the roof, but the wind noise was quite horrible and the reflection on the hood was also there but by pointing them a little bit upwards i was able to minimize that. 

From my opinion i have seen better results from a slightly smaller bar with latest LED technology mounted on the front grille.

• Like (+1) 8

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thank you both @Christian Andras for the query and @Frederic for the feedback as I was planning in the near future for such installation 👍

• Like (+1) 4

@Frederic Thanks for your inputs. I guess both reflection and noise is somewhat dependent on car type, size and mounting. I had another car before with roof lights, and the reflection was really a bad problem. I am just speculating that the FJ might be better in that sense, since the windsheild is more erect, and the bonet short. But then again, it's just me speculating, it would be good to hear from someone who has it...

Same goes for noise - before buying the FJ, I was told the noise with the original roof rack on is very bad, but when  I bought it, the previous owner removed the most front transverse bar, and there is no problematic noise...

I also was thinking of a ledbar at the grill, but I have limited experience of driving off-road at night, is it not better to have the light higher up on the car?? What's your opinion?

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Christian Andras said:

Hi!

Thanks for your inputs,

/Chris

Roof bar needs perfect placement and angle to decrease the glare from bonnet.

Wrapping it snugly reduces noise significantly. 

If you can get a mix of white and amber led light  it will be perfect because white light visibility when there is dust is awful.

Best set up would be one led bar on roof ~40 inch (spot and flood combo), one spot led bar  in between headlights ~20 inch and side shooters for peripheral vision.

You have various brands some of which are as expensive as a car , but I have Toby's from Dragon mart.  Cheap and serves the purpose with rough off road usage.

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 9

Thank a lot @Chaitanya D and @Srikumar for your valuable input! I was actually thinking that the roof bar will serve both purposes (bout forward spot and sideway flood).

I have seen some cars having this small "side shooters", and I thought it's more "looks" than functionality, but is seems they are good. It also seems that a led bar between the head lights is a very good investment. So maybe I go for all 3 positions...

Any obvious garage that is dealing with this kind of work you would recommend..?

• Like (+1) 6

I would suggest to add one at a time and see how it performs. Start with the spot powerful LED bar near the headlights, then depending on how your visibility is in the night you can add more. 

First check where is the place to install this LED light bar. Then measure the width and buy the LED light bar. Toby's is a very good Chinese brand and they have a shop in Dragon mart. Both my LED light bars are from Toby and they are quite competitively priced compared to other bigger brands (which are also assembled in China).

• Like (+1) 7
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

38 minutes ago, Christian Andras said:

Thank a lot @Chaitanya D and @Srikumar for your valuable input! I was actually thinking that the roof bar will serve both purposes (bout forward spot and sideway flood).

I have seen some cars having this small "side shooters", and I thought it's more "looks" than functionality, but is seems they are good. It also seems that a led bar between the head lights is a very good investment. So maybe I go for all 3 positions...

Any obvious garage that is dealing with this kind of work you would recommend..?

I have two of these sideshooters on my front bumpers and they really help a lot when aimed at the corners. Dragon Mart has them from Toby's brand.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

But be aware most of the designs and especially side shooters ( flood type with 6LED and 6 small side led) are out of stock with Tobys.

Winter and off road season has kicked in!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1