•  
Advertise here

ABS and TRACTION CONTROL

Gok Krish

Greetings Body,

I am on a Wrangler JK fitted with a ABS kill switch. There is also a push button for "traction control off". Should both ABS and Traction control be disabled for the desert drives or just killing the ABS is enough? My last drive, I forgot to turn off the traction but had killed the ABS. Did some googling to learn that the former is for braking the latter is for accelerating. Thanks for sharing the wisdom. Apologies if this question is already addressed

regards

Gokul

• Like (+1) 3

Thanks @sertac, i realized it last time on my drive with @Chaitanya Dwhere i lost power twice on a side slopping. I was thinking if it was me who was also doing a side slopping of a medium sized dune for the first time. I felt i was kind of slipping back losing power and had to turn to come down. Tomorrow with my drive with @Ale Vallecchi i will hopefully catch up with my Traction control turned off and ESC off apart from ABS killed. 

Thanks @Fredericfor the amazing and patient explanation and bringing in science resources. It is clear now that both ABS and Traction control need to be off to get full power on the wheels. Will be putting the horse to its test tomorrow and will report on success. 

• Like (+1) 5

Thanks @Frederic for the comprehensive information. I drive FJ and I get this ABS function issue while braking during declines from high dunes or at speed above 40km and it’s very disturbing. I have no option to disable this by default. A kill switch installation was suggested by a few, Hope this is recommended for us during off roading ?

How about disabling Airbags during off roading, would be happy to hear your thought and option on this? Thanks. 

• Like (+1) 4

Most workshops can install a killer switch for FJ for just 200-250 but unfortunately Toyota service informed me it's not allowed to do this - any modification to electrical system would affect the car warranty.  So the only option is to drive for the next couple of years with air bags and ABS on.  I hope for the type of offroading we do it will not be a problem for those of us using FJs (and we can avoid incidents with air bags like the one Jorge had recently with the Land Rover) - hopefully, the sensitivity of air bags at FJs is not that high...

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use