•  
Advertise here

ABS and TRACTION CONTROL

Gok Krish

45 minutes ago, Piotr Kolodziej said:

Most workshops can install a killer switch for FJ for just 200-250 but unfortunately Toyota service informed me it's not allowed to do this - any modification to electrical system would affect the car warranty.  So the only option is to drive for the next couple of years with air bags and ABS on.  I hope for the type of offroading we do it will not be a problem for those of us using FJs (and we can avoid incidents with air bags like the one Jorge had recently with the Land Rover) - hopefully, the sensitivity of air bags at FJs is not that high...

That is always the conundrum 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Gok Krish said:

Thanks @sertac, i realized it last time on my drive with @Chaitanya Dwhere i lost power twice on a side slopping. I was thinking if it was me who was also doing a side slopping of a medium sized dune for the first time. I felt i was kind of slipping back losing power and had to turn to come down. Tomorrow with my drive with @Ale Vallecchi i will hopefully catch up with my Traction control turned off and ESC off apart from ABS killed. 

Thanks @Fredericfor the amazing and patient explanation and bringing in science resources. It is clear now that both ABS and Traction control need to be off to get full power on the wheels. Will be putting the horse to its test tomorrow and will report on success. 

Yes @Gok Krish I remember what happened but never mind as all this is part of the learning with each drive, you have a great car which can take you to any level. Best wishes

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, topgear said:

That is always the conundrum 

Kill switch is off the cards but you can still remove the fuses. Once you get used to doing it, it will only take a minute. 

Although if you’re going to do that, I would recommend buying a cheapo code reader so you can clear the logged codes before you go for service. Service center monkeys will never know. Take it from someone who knows that the service centre mechanics are no more special than any other trained mechanic. They just have more expensive tools. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Careful with removing fuses on the Xterra or installing a kill switch. @Shamil had installed a kill switch and initially his 4WD stopped working. There is a whole discussion of kill switch for the Xterra, just need to search for it.

@Biju Abdul on our introduction video it's clearly mentioned to kill all electronics including ABS, TC and ESC.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

There is a whole discussion of kill switch for the Xterra, just need to search for it.

Thread Nissan Xterra Must to do Modifications

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Shyam Karat said:

@Piotr Kolodziej Even am facing the same issue for my Jeep ..but I have an option to  get it done from jeep service Centre itself @ 650 Dhs and it doesn't effect the warranty.

The good thing about Jeep Wrangler that it’s from very few brands that it can be modified from the agency and approved ( suspension , lift , tires , kill switch, snorkel , .... etc )

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Even if I will turn traction control off in my Prado, I am losing suddenly power in sideslips and hill climbs. It is very annoying. 

Does anybody know, how to eliminate this in Prado ?

Tero

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Tero Vallas said:

Hello

Even if I will turn traction control off in my Prado, I am losing suddenly power in sideslips and hill climbs. It is very annoying. 

Does anybody know, how to eliminate this in Prado ?

Tero

I am not prado expert but are the  switch off button the stock? Because if so it’s only 30 percent to 50 % off traction 

you need to remove the fuse completely or install a kill switch for it . Usually the ABS and stability control / traction all connected together . @Frederic had informative scientific writing in the beginning of this topic

be aware of two things when installing additional kill switch to make sure your 4WD hi and lo are working after 

and if your car still under warranty check is this installation will affect it 

Note : if nothing from the above appeared to be reason then check all your fluids level as these  become far less on inclination . Other possible causes the spark plugs check, battery mount tighten check ( vibrations ) . suspension check .... etc 

cheers 🚙👍😎

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 2

Not sure about the Prado, but some vehicles require you to keep the button pressed for 10 seconds or more to completely switch off traction control and ABS when 2 lights come on. Check by keeping it pressed for a few seconds and let us know if that works. If not you'll have to figure out the fuse to remove during desert drives or install the kill switch. Be careful while removing or installing the fuse your car should be switched off and your car keys should be removed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use