•  

Snorkel or no snorkel.. ? for Driving in Desert.

Rizwan Waheed

Hello All,

its been few months since i have started off roading with this prestigious club. ultimately, developing interest in everything attached to 4x4 Drives. just a thought came across my mind about snorkel. It is of course beneficial while driving in water streams but is it equally beneficial for driving in desert as well?

need to educate myself with all of the expert opinion. @Frederic Hi Frederic, what are your thoughts for having snorkel?

P,J,.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

Hi @Rizwan Waheed you see the snorkel often on overlanding vehicles, where i think for most it's more of a optical thing (looks more rugged) than a functional item. Or when crossing water streams, which we are not really doing here.

The snorkel would be useful if you are crossing deserts and driving for very long distances where you are not able to stop to clean out your air filter regularly. As the suction point is sitting higher it will suck in "cleaner" and cooler air. 

Performance wise i do not believe this will do much. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

6 minutes ago, Rizwan Waheed said:

does having snorkel will make any difference in the performance of the car while driving in desert?

Not to the best of my knowledge, or rather it will do opposite as once some wise men said here: Try breathing through a straw while on treadmill.

Anybody selling you this as a performance mod, tell him you will do two dyno test and if results aren't supporting then you need your money back including the dyno test spend. You will get your answer instantly.

Some company claims for better filtration and long life of engine - such grey and slippery areas to market that you cant prove anyways.

If its for looks, then def go ahead and buy a stick-on 100 usd fake snorkel than the real one. Let your Pajero breath how they were supposed to breath unless you intend to do water wading like Fredy mentioned.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi Rizwan.  The snorkel will have some impact in air quality and temperature, since the air closer to the ground is dirtier and hotter.  But for the occasional ride trough the dessert there are not real benefits.  The cost is not justified.  But if you are planning on driving long distances overloading it makes sense.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

5 minutes ago, Alexander Alcala said:

Hi Rizwan.  The snorkel will have some impact in air quality and temperature, since the air closer to the ground is dirtier and hotter.  But for the occasional ride trough the dessert there are not real benefits.  The cost is not justified.  But if you are planning on driving long distances overloading it makes sense.

Agree. If you would be living in Africa and spending 9 hours per day driving on a sandy track the snorkel would definitely be useful.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 hour ago, Rizwan Waheed said:

Hello All,

its been few months since i have started off roading with this prestigious club. ultimately, developing interest in everything attached to 4x4 Drives. just a thought came across my mind about snorkel. It is of course beneficial while driving in water streams but is it equally beneficial for driving in desert as well?

need to educate myself with all of the expert opinion. @Frederic Hi Frederic, what are your thoughts for having snorkel?

P,J,.jpg

Another thing to consider is the actual wading capacity of your car.  It is not only the air intake level.  Most of the cars have electronics lower than the intake, and water doesn't mix well with electronics.  

I would say that there are a ton of things to consider before, and a suspension lift and bigger tires are way more important than the snorkel. I can tell from experience, because I have a snorkel installed in my jeep.

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

For Xterra specially air box is taking the air from the tire side. If you are doing some extreme dune bashing and if your air filter is not good quality engine is sucking sand. That's why many Xterra owners putting Snorkel to their cars. For FJ also it is the same if i am not mistaken. My Jeep was taking the air form the front it wasn't having this issue. I a not aware for Pajero. 

Personally i dont have one i am having good quality AEM air filter and i am cleaning it after every desert drive. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use