•  
Advertise here

4mm skid plate - is it enough?

Hi all,

As I get ready to joint the newbie session and pick up the recovery gear, radios etc.  I came across this offer for 4mm skid plate full (front, mid and tank), 900aed fitted.  

I am struggling to confirm if 4mm is enough protections. The offer is great and I know I am not planning any extreme trips or driving to the limits so am keen for advise. thanks again all. 

Posting again to ensure I follow the rules (apologies admins) 

• Like (+1) 4

Hi @Niki Patel, if you are going in for a skid plate, I would suggest atleast 8mm and it would not not cost too much more. If you look around,  you can get it for around AED 1000. 

In the desert, you don't need to be doing extreme drives to need a skid plate as the desert is unpredictable and anything could happen to anyone at any time and at any level of drive. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Brette many thanks ... first time shopping for skid plates so I am currently going to the well ‘marketed’ spots... will shop around a bit more and good to know it can be done for 1k! Appreciate the quick response and reality check that risk is there no matter driving style 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Niki Patel said:

Hi all,

As I get ready to joint the newbie session and pick up the recovery gear, radios etc.  I came across this offer for 4mm skid plate full (front, mid and tank), 900aed fitted.  

I am struggling to confirm if 4mm is enough protections. The offer is great and I know I am not planning any extreme trips or driving to the limits so am keen for advise. thanks again all. 

Posting again to ensure I follow the rules (apologies admins) 

As you get more interested and progress in your levels 4 mm will not be enough. Prefer 6 mm at least , 8 mm is better . I personally prefer 10mm for my X as it has a very low radiator unlike FJ which has better clearance in front.  Even 10 mm could not save me from a radiator break on some nasty bump, so better protection always gives you some peace of mind.

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I am not sure but what I have heard from technical workshop is even 6 mm is fine. Thicker skid plate has is less prone to bend and Skid plate should absorb the hit rather other body parts. Like how modern cars absorb the hit and causes low damage to passengers unlike old cars.

I am not sure, but it is a point worth having a thought. Please correct in someone having other thought

• Like (+1) 1

It all depends on the material used:

-4mm mild steel (not recommended due to corrosion), or 4mm stainless steel is pretty good

-if you go for aluminum, go for 8 or 10mm.

Make sure the skid plate / bash plate has holes to allow for engine cooling, or your car might be overheating a lot more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hey @Niki Patel, I just had a skid plate installed on my car yesterday. I saw the offer you’re talking about for all 3 skid plates for 900 AED (ARB I believe). I passed on that offer, and instead opted for an 8 mm aluminum front skid plate.  The shop took measurements of my car and laser-cut the plate and installed it. It was around 1000 AED for this job, and the bash plate looks very solid. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Hi @Niki Patel

There are different thickness and toughness of skid plates available or fabricated for different vehicles 

Generally 8 mm aluminum plate is accepted , more than that may add to the front weight especially upon breaking  and less than 8 mm might be lighter but weaker 

I drive Nissan Xterra and I installed a 10mm thick plate from day one as we are “xterrians”  are aware of low radiator in our vehicles .

Last but not least all these protectors are just helpers when “unexpected wind sometime might slam your boat “ and can never be a substitute to skills of controlled driving 

wish you best and drive safe 

cheers 👍🚙

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

9 hours ago, RohanH said:

I am not sure but what I have heard from technical workshop is even 6 mm is fine. Thicker skid plate has is less prone to bend and Skid plate should absorb the hit rather other body parts. Like how modern cars absorb the hit and causes low damage to passengers unlike old cars.

I am not sure, but it is a point worth having a thought. Please correct in someone having other thought

@RohanH valid point , but again depends on the material part used as each one his it’s on tensile strength and other physical properties such as elasticity ....etc if Ian not mistaken stainless steel comes on top as rigid then aluminum then titanium ... and each has pros and cons. Example steel hard but prone to corrosion where aluminum is vica versa . I think as long as we stick to the sand it’s not as bad the impact as would be on rocky terrain . 

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 2