•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - Lisaili - Dubai - 21 Nov 2020

Chaitanya D

On 11/15/2020 at 7:40 PM, Mukundan Nair said:

Hi @Chaitanya D, I have left your drive since I had signed up for another one , please put me on waiting list for the second drive.

Thanks

@Mukundan Nair there is a space opened up, are you planning to join Saturday??

• Like (+1) 2

Dear Friends

Drive RSVP is closed

Below is Convoy Numbering

We will use Chanel 4 for Radio Coms

Please arrive few min early so that we can start driving on time 6am sharp

Position

Name

Car

Level

Chaitanya

Black Xterra

Exp

@Pancho

Red Wrangler

Adv

@Tero Vallas

Golden Prado

IM

@Nizam Deen

Silver Prado

IM

@Yousef Alimadadi

Silver Pajero

IM

@Tamas Hoffmann

Golden Pajero

IM

@Mehmet Volga

Silver Pajero

IM

@Anish S

Silver Pajero

IM

@Heisem

FJC

IM

@Jorge Stepniak Felippe

White Wrangler

IM

@Gregory Perkin

Rubicon

IM

@Foxtrot Oscar

Black Xterra

Adv

• Like (+1) 3

Drive Report:

Thank you everyone for arriving on time and joining this drive. We prepped our cars in quick time , a quick brief out in open on a cool morning and off we headed on the pylon track which takes us further of the camel track. We entered an area which is slightly less technical , how much less is a relative term. You all would agree on this because as soon as we were on this smallish 100-200m baby dune area , we had our moments of the day. Some refusals and crests on baby dunes in a very tight spot gave us an opportunity to learn - some self recoveries and tugs in "not so routine" manner.

Once we were off this technical area everyone was delighted to see the long range dunes which Lisaili has on offer. As soon as we started to pick pace and climb some dunes ,try some criss cross and ridge rides we had our next learning experience. One car getting stuck longitudinally on a crest with a pocket on the other side. We tried to recover his by shovelings but the sheer softness on the other side and the weird angle made it difficult, and decided for a tug. As we positioned ,fixed the rope and started pulling the tugging car stopped on an incline with a tensed rope which made it more tricky. We had to shovel quite a lot, deflate the tires further and with careful maneuvering by the driver the car was out safely. Lesson learnt for everyone , but we all have made such mistakes and learnt from them.

After these initial moments where we spent quite a bit of time, we had our learning experiences. Best part was it was all happening on a cooler morning and was really good that 3-4 drivers chipped in for shoveling burning their bit of calories needed for the day🤣.   Once we started driving again , there was no stopping . We did multiple sideys, some climbs , lot of criss cross and lots of long ridge riding. In fact as I was looping back on some long range ,it was a delight to see all of you riding the ridges in unison and ruffling sand from the top.

We headed towards murquab after squeezing out as much as we could riding safely in Lisaili. Compared to last time , we managed to get onto the smaller Sabkhas separating Lisaili long range and Murquab Long range. This kind of avoided the technical area in between , and we could get into the Murquab area quickly. We again enjoyed the Long range dunes here , repeating what we did before probably even better. Not to forget to mention to you all again that Gravity is your best friend on sand, especially on doing side slope, climbs and getting off ridges. Please remember never to fight against it ,no matter what car /gear / mods/ be it anything you have. 

As it was well past the intended time for drive completion, we decided to play some more time in Murquab and exit out there.

@Pancho thank you so much for an awesome 2nd lead. Some great advises from you on the recoveries and refusals. Tugging me twice when I got stuck in super soft pockets twice which were frankly out of my sight coming down at times.

@Tero Vallas you were the driver of the day for me today along with @Heisem. Fantastic driving, great control of steering on ridges and perfect exits whenever needed. Absolutely no fishtailing anywhere from what I could see.

@Nizam Deen did well on the ridges, technical areas and had some refusals. As you drive more everyone gets more experienced and drives better which will be the same with you too. Well done buddy.

@Yousef Alimadadi was hardly heard on radio which goes to show how well you have improved and how well you drove on this drive. Fantastic my friend

@Tamas Hoffmann impresses every time with his great control over the steering and technique. Such a delight to watch you maneuver your car to self recover , I still remember the self recovery in Big Red area which was simply amazing. Great driving buddy.

@Mehmet Volga is always in love with the dunes in Lisaili, can see the happiness on his face every time he finishes driving here. Great to see you driving ,well controlled and hardly any calls for assistance today. Bravo

@Anish S along with his copilot @Veedooshee enjoyed the dunes as much as everyone did. Always great to see you on any drive , full of support and assistance whenever needed . 

@Heisem did not drive like it was his first intermediate drive and shared the driver of the day with Tero. Infact you drove so well that at the end I wanted to double check if it was really your first one. Well driven buddy!

@Jorge Stepniak Felippe in his open top jeep on a cool morning is what I would hope to do one day, enjoying the dunes- as we did today. You have improved and are improving tremendously with each drive.

@Foxtrot Oscar thank you for sweeping the convoy today. Your presence ,assistance and advise when needed is no less than that from an "Angel". Gets difficult at times when you are at the end of a longish convoy at intermediate level ,but you did great Angela.

I would like to request feedback from the seniors @Pancho and @Foxtrot Oscar as it is not possible for me to keep a watch on the whole convoy, which gets longer as we drive faster at this level.

I would suggest cars without a front bash plate to have one before you break anything as drives on intermediate level gets intense as you do more in future.

Please upload pictures in the drive gallery.

Some stats from todays drive

Total time 4hrs 37min

Stopping time 1hr 31min 

Ave Pace 19Kmph

Total distance 58.9 Km

Enjoy your week and get ready for another thrilling weekend on the dunes.

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 4

2 hours ago, Chaitanya D said:

Drive Report:

Thank you everyone for arriving on time and joining this drive. We prepped our cars in quick time , a quick brief out in open on a cool morning and off we headed on the pylon track which takes us further of the camel track. We entered an area which is slightly less technical , how much less is a relative term. You all would agree on this because as soon as we were on this smallish 100-200m baby dune area , we had our moments of the day. Some refusals and crests on baby dunes in a very tight spot gave us an opportunity to learn - some self recoveries and tugs in "not so routine" manner.

Once we were off this technical area everyone was delighted to see the long range dunes which Lisaili has on offer. As soon as we started to pick pace and climb some dunes ,try some criss cross and ridge rides we had our next learning experience. One car getting stuck longitudinally on a crest with a pocket on the other side. We tried to recover his by shovelings but the sheer softness on the other side and the weird angle made it difficult, and decided for a tug. As we positioned ,fixed the rope and started pulling the tugging car stopped on an incline with a tensed rope which made it more tricky. We had to shovel quite a lot, deflate the tires further and with careful maneuvering by the driver the car was out safely. Lesson learnt for everyone , but we all have made such mistakes and learnt from them.

After these initial moments where we spent quite a bit of time, we had our learning experiences. Best part was it was all happening on a cooler morning and was really good that 3-4 drivers chipped in for shoveling burning their bit of calories needed for the day🤣.   Once we started driving again , there was no stopping . We did multiple sideys, some climbs , lot of criss cross and lots of long ridge riding. In fact as I was looping back on some long range ,it was a delight to see all of you riding the ridges in unison and ruffling sand from the top.

We headed towards murquab after squeezing out as much as we could riding safely in Lisaili. Compared to last time , we managed to get onto the smaller Sabkhas separating Lisaili long range and Murquab Long range. This kind of avoided the technical area in between , and we could get into the Murquab area quickly. We again enjoyed the Long range dunes here , repeating what we did before probably even better. Not to forget to mention to you all again that Gravity is your best friend on sand, especially on doing side slope, climbs and getting off ridges. Please remember never to fight against it ,no matter what car /gear / mods/ be it anything you have. 

As it was well past the intended time for drive completion, we decided to play some more time in Murquab and exit out there.

@Pancho thank you so much for an awesome 2nd lead. Some great advises from you on the recoveries and refusals. Tugging me twice when I got stuck in super soft pockets twice which were frankly out of my sight coming down at times.

@Tero Vallas you were the driver of the day for me today along with @Heisem. Fantastic driving, great control of steering on ridges and perfect exits whenever needed. Absolutely no fishtailing anywhere from what I could see.

@Nizam Deen did well on the ridges, technical areas and had some refusals. As you drive more everyone gets more experienced and drives better which will be the same with you too. Well done buddy.

@Yousef Alimadadi was hardly heard on radio which goes to show how well you have improved and how well you drove on this drive. Fantastic my friend

@Tamas Hoffmann impresses every time with his great control over the steering and technique. Such a delight to watch you maneuver your car to self recover , I still remember the self recovery in Big Red area which was simply amazing. Great driving buddy.

@Mehmet Volga is always in love with the dunes in Lisaili, can see the happiness on his face every time he finishes driving here. Great to see you driving ,well controlled and hardly any calls for assistance today. Bravo

@Anish S along with his copilot @Veedooshee enjoyed the dunes as much as everyone did. Always great to see you on any drive , full of support and assistance whenever needed . 

@Heisem did not drive like it was his first intermediate drive and shared the driver of the day with Tero. Infact you drove so well that at the end I wanted to double check if it was really your first one. Well driven buddy!

@Jorge Stepniak Felippe in his open top jeep on a cool morning is what I would hope to do one day, enjoying the dunes- as we did today. You have improved and are improving tremendously with each drive.

@Foxtrot Oscar thank you for sweeping the convoy today. Your presence ,assistance and advise when needed is no less than that from an "Angel". Gets difficult at times when you are at the end of a longish convoy at intermediate level ,but you did great Angela.

I would like to request feedback from the seniors @Pancho and @Foxtrot Oscar as it is not possible for me to keep a watch on the whole convoy, which gets longer as we drive faster at this level.

I would suggest cars without a front bash plate to have one before you break anything as drives on intermediate level gets intense as you do more in future.

Please upload pictures in the drive gallery.

Some stats from todays drive

Total time 4hrs 37min

Stopping time 1hr 31min 

Ave Pace 19Kmph

Total distance 58.9 Km

Enjoy your week and get ready for another thrilling weekend on the dunes.

HI all

To be honest, I have been couple of times bit skeptical, whether new drive categories can offer something new. As this was my first Intermediate drive today, it is always impressive to see that how different drives can be. It was same with Fewbie and Fewbie Plus drives.

Tempo of this drive was again bit faster than my previous ones. Takes a while to get used to it. Already in the beginning first technical area was more packed dunes, I felt distance between dunes was less. Which made driver to react faster to power needs but also taking care of exits of the dunes especially considering my Prado's front bumper... 

Long ridge rides were really nice. 

Thank you @Chaitanya D@Pancho and @Foxtrot Oscar for your pro & safe convoy management. Good work from you all !

See u all on sand soon !

PS: Few photos added to gallery.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

It was a great drive.

Thank you very much @Chaitanya D @Foxtrot Oscar @Pancho for pulling me out a couple of times. Cant wait to learn more from the seniors.

Off-roading is addictive 😄 and i cant wait for the next drive.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thank you @Chaitanya D for showing us some long range ridge riding. It just proves the point that we should never fight gravity and stay on top of the ridge , in the center of it as much as possible and if the back of the car starts fish tailing and being pulled by gravity its better to exit than to risk a flip.  

Also it was my first intermediate drive and i learnt the importance of a bash plate at this level having hit it pretty hard at one point during ridge riding 😅

Also thanks @Pancho and @Foxtrot Oscar for drive support.

@Mehmet Volga im never bored driving behind you 😄

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Heisem said:

Thank you @Chaitanya D for showing us some long range ridge riding. It just proves the point that we should never fight gravity and stay on top of the ridge , in the center of it as much as possible and if the back of the car starts fish tailing and being pulled by gravity its better to exit than to risk a flip.  

Also it was my first intermediate drive and i learnt the importance of a bash plate at this level having hit it pretty hard at one point during ridge riding 😅

Also thanks @Pancho and @Foxtrot Oscar for drive support.

@Mehmet Volga im never bored driving behind you 😄

Thank you for the footage,  awesome!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use