•  

COVID 19 Compliant - ABSOLUTE NEWBIE Morning Desert Drive - Al Qudra Dubai - 20 Nov 2020

Ale Vallecchi

Hello @Ale Vallecchi, thanks for reply. yes my Jeep have two very obvious front tow points. However rear one is beneath the rear bumper. I used the rear one last week itself. Regarding the gear, i do not have anything, I will buy.  Any guidance specially for compressor please.

I have seen ACE online, Apart from the branded and expensive one they are selling these below, is it ok to one of these?

Michelin AED 299

The grunter AED 165

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdV9pr6z0zbjcxUZAoxz_klibIEHHOmhM2cXtfx5FEZXucZlzIgMrCw-G5v72vVHxcgI3QU7w&usqp=CAcimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1JdctbvhlVkPPphehUT3kElIqWSfvgCLuE1yn5zc-2phuNKXIhxzXU2N0JRVvC7rRZ7xUOj93&usqp=CAc

• Like (+1) 1

These (Grunter and Michellin) cigg lighter ones are too slow and will heat up after 2 tires and cut-off to make you wait to cool off.

I recently saw @Anoop joseph using the Michelin one in Sweihan drive last week, maybe he can share his experience here.

Buy a better brand that runs with direct big fat cable from battery so it will inflate faster and longer due to more AMP draw.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 minute ago, Gaurav said:

These (Grunter and Michellin) cigg lighter ones are too slow and will heat up after 2 tires and cut-off to make you wait to cool off.

I recently saw @Anoop joseph using the Michelin one in Sweihan drive last week, maybe he can share his experience here.

Buy a better brand that runs with direct big fat cable from battery so it will inflate faster and longer due to more AMP draw.

Dear @Umar Kamal, as suggested by @Gaurav these two items may be a little underpowered, and prone to overheating. I personally have used to my satisfaction a Camel brand compressor, easily available at Dragon Mart, for just a few more dirhams than those you mentioned. As you know at Carnity we do not sponsor any specific brands/items, so ultimately the decision will be yours, based on whichever criteria you prioritise (cost, size, speed, durability, etc.). 

• Like (+1) 1

Brands/ Models  to avoid:
- X-cessories. These are just Chinese rebranded compressors that are being sold with a pretty big mark up. 

- Mini compressors to connect to cigarette lighter: Will last only a few drives. Not made to inflate from 15 to 35psi, unless you want to wait for 45mins or longer. Will overheat easily because of  this.

Acceptable / Good:

Camel Brand  compressors from Dragon Mart: Mixed reviews. Some last a few months, some easily last two years and longer. They are not expensive, fast, but very loud. But they get the job done. Same goes for Vitaly brand which is 99% the same but are being sold at a higher price.

Premium Models: ( 1 to 5 year warranty)

- TJM , Viair ( or Bushranger), MeanMother, Smittybilt, ARB

What to look after when buying a compressor ?

1) Warranty. A premium brand should provide 4-5 years warranty which will make the higher price worthwhile.

2) Output in liters per minute (lpm). The more the better of course. Everything from 40lpm upwards should be fine. Some will show a rating in cfm (cubic feet per minute). 2.3 cfm = 65lpm.

3) Duty Cycle: Air compressors heat up when running so most have a limited consistent output before they need to stop and cool off. This run time in-between cycles is called a duty cycle. Manufacturers typically represent run time with a number, such as “20”, which means you can run the compressor for 20 minutes every hour. sometimes they show a percentage. 20 minutes would indicate a 33% duty cycle. Keep this in mind when you are using the compressor every week. Avoid exceeding the duty cycle time as in a short period of time it would overheat / destroy the compressor.

4) Quality of the coiled hose, pressure gauge. 

5) inline fuse and thermal overload protection. Will come standard with premium models.

Below a specs example of Bushranger Black Max:

image.png.2136a705b277f5fed55382d832f89d2c.png

Duty cycle is 30 minutes @40psi at 24°C ambient temperature. Obviously the ambient temperature will be much higher for us here in the UAE, so you will need to take that into account. Keep the compressor in the shade while using (or even on the inside of the car if possible) and keep your engine running. These compressors are rated to work most efficiently at 13.8 Volts, so your alternator should be running. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Excited to join my first drive!  Went through the videos last week and the FJ has an inbuilt compressor and a flag pole plus bracket (screw hole on the roof) set up as I suspect desert season stock when I bought it :) 

I have a radio ready and charged.. will tune in the frequency soon! 

maybe you can tell I am little excited ... 10 years here and finally I will get to experience the real dubai (a small intro I know). 

I have the 5aed valve removal tool (though I paid 15aed in Ace so feel like I got the expat tax :) ) ... have a pressure gauge and finally have already set my alarm as that may be the hardest part for me! 

see you all on Friday and good luck those taking the trip to dragon mart ... though in the guide in this forum I think someone shared the location of the store! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

31 minutes ago, Niki Patel said:

Excited to join my first drive!  Went through the videos last week and the FJ has an inbuilt compressor and a flag pole plus bracket (screw hole on the roof) set up as I suspect desert season stock when I bought it :) 

I have a radio ready and charged.. will tune in the frequency soon! 

maybe you can tell I am little excited ... 10 years here and finally I will get to experience the real dubai (a small intro I know). 

I have the 5aed valve removal tool (though I paid 15aed in Ace so feel like I got the expat tax :) ) ... have a pressure gauge and finally have already set my alarm as that may be the hardest part for me! 

see you all on Friday and good luck those taking the trip to dragon mart ... though in the guide in this forum I think someone shared the location of the store! 

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hello @Ale Vallecchi

First im excited to join this drive.

Second, my car does have tow points in the front and the back, however id need a shackle for both the front and the back. Anyway i did buy a tow hook just in case. 

Third, I would love to pursue this sport that is why I bought the tow hook. I have always been a fan of driving in the desert camping and other outdoor activities. 

Lastly, do you guys have any camping plans? like a weekend getaway in the desert because if you do id be more than happy to join.

Cant wait to meet everyone and drive togther!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Shehab Alawadhi said:

Hello @Ale Vallecchi

First im excited to join this drive.

Second, my car does have tow points in the front and the back, however id need a shackle for both the front and the back. Anyway i did buy a tow hook just in case. 

Third, I would love to pursue this sport that is why I bought the tow hook. I have always been a fan of driving in the desert camping and other outdoor activities. 

Lastly, do you guys have any camping plans? like a weekend getaway in the desert because if you do id be more than happy to join.

Cant wait to meet everyone and drive togther!

Dear @Shehab Alawadhi. Thanks for your enthusiastic reply. We occasionally plan trip which include camping. Stay tuned. All trips are announced and published on WhatsApp's Carnity Drive Notification group, from which you'll receive messages from now on.

See you on Friday.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Frederic said:

@Frederic i should have remember it was your thread!  thank you for all the support you and the senior members provide to us newbies.... cannot express how easy you make this process for folks who are doing these things for the first time - all while you have a day job, family, a drive to enjoy yourself etc!  

Edited by Niki Patel
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use