•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive 'The Devil's Deceit' Murquab to Last Exit - 20 Nov 2020

Wrangeld

On 11/17/2020 at 3:20 PM, syed salman raza said:

@Lorenzo Candelpergher Please advise which is a good follow up drone available in UAE (not very professional and expensive

Dear @syed salman raza, I have almost only flown DJI drones (all types, including bigger ones not mentioned here) so I can advise onky on those, even if there are surely other good ones from other brands. 

The best small camera drone is certainly DJI Mavic2 Pro (1" CMOS, 10bit color range), but it is an expensive toy and probably a bit too much sophisticated for regular use as a desert aircraft.

You may go for a DJI Mavic Air 2 as a 2nd option, great value for money (half the price of the Pro) even if very light (570g vs 910g for the Pro) so not very stable in windy conditions (but when there is wind in fhe desert you are unlikely to be there enjoying the sand in your eyes...). This is probably your best choice. 

You may also find good 2nd hand DJI Phantom 3 for bargain prices, as it is an old model, now replaced by the Phantom 4. More rugged than the Mavic series (no foldable arms) so better for desert use, slightly heavier (thus a bit more stable and surely better in stronger winds), even if a bit bulky. Obstacle avoidance is limited. 

The DJI Phantom 4 is a heavy duty all-round drone, very good but equally or more expensive than the Mavic 2 Pro. Not a starter's option. 

I wouldn't recommend the DJI Mavic Mini: not really a drone for wide range desert spaces, in my opinion

Personally I prefer by far the Phantom Series because of the more ergonomic remote control, which allows for more refined maneuvering (Mavic's are too small and light) but I may be biased by my professional needs. 

In a nutshell: either a Mavic Air 2 (best value for money) or a 2nd hand Phantom 3 (a bit old ans bulky, but rugged and inexpensive). 

I hope it helps. 

Edited by Lorenzo Candelpergher
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Arshad Roojee said:

Hi everyone,

Sorry i have to pull out from the drive last minute. Was really looking forward to it, but unfortunately got some last minute urgent matters to attend to. 

Will see you guys on the sand dunes soon. Cheers.

Hi @Arshad Roojee. Thanks for letting us know that you will not be coming. 

Have a good weekend. 

• Like (+1) 2

Dear Devil Darers

Here (as at 11 am Thursday) are the convoy numbers for the drive tomorrow morning. 

Morning Newbie Devil's Deceit Desert Drive to Al Qudra 20 Nov 2020
Attendees Level Car Radio Pos #
Wrangeld Marshal Mitsubishi Pajero SWB Y 1
@Ahab Shamaa Newbie Toyota FJ Cruiser Y 2
@Pickey Singh Newbie Toyota FJ Cruiser Y 3
@MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ Newbie Jeep Wrangler SWB Y 4
@varunmehndiratta Newbie Jeep Wrangler JL y 5
@Explored Dubai Newbie Mitsubishi Pajero LWB Y 6
@VipinShetty Intermediate Jeep Grand Cherokee Y 7
@Derek Fernandes Newbie Jeep Wrangler SWB Y 8
@Sai Baskaran Newbie Mitsubishi Pajero LWB Y 9
@bassel el rafei Newbie Toyota Land Cruiser Y 10
@Ken Hüüdma Newbie Nissan Patrol Y61 Y 11
@Lorenzo Candelpergher Advance Nissan Patrol Y62 Y 12

We will be using Carnity Radio Channel 3

As usual we will carry out a check on all vehicles at the start to check you have towpoints, flag, radio and shovel. 

This is a compressor only drive - the compressor at last exit, has left the building. 

As mentioned, we will take time out to allow for drone exercises, and to play - so we may be ending the drive a little later than normal to take that into account. Please advise the Home Ministry of this possibility. 

Have a lovely day. 

See you soon in the sand. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 11/17/2020 at 10:05 PM, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

Dear @syed salman raza, I have almost only flown DJI drones (all types, including bigger ones not mentioned here) so I can advise onky on those, even if there are surely other good ones from other brands. 

The best small camera drone is certainly DJI Mavic2 Pro (1" CMOS, 10bit color range), but it is an expensive toy and probably a bit too much sophisticated for regular use as a desert aircraft.

You may go for a DJI Mavic Air 2 as a 2nd option, great value for money (half the price of the Pro) even if very light (570g vs 910g for the Pro) so not very stable in windy conditions (but when there is wind in fhe desert you are unlikely to be there enjoying the sand in your eyes...). This is probably your best choice. 

You may also find good 2nd hand DJI Phantom 3 for bargain prices, as it is an old model, now replaced by the Phantom 4. More rugged than the Mavic series (no foldable arms) so better for desert use, slightly heavier (thus a bit more stable and surely better in stronger winds), even if a bit bulky. Obstacle avoidance is limited. 

The DJI Phantom 4 is a heavy duty all-round drone, very good but equally or more expensive than the Mavic 2 Pro. Not a starter's option. 

I wouldn't recommend the DJI Mavic Mini: not really a drone for wide range desert spaces, in my opinion

Personally I prefer by far the Phantom Series because of the more ergonomic remote control, which allows for more refined maneuvering (Mavic's are too small and light) but I may be biased by my professional needs. 

In a nutshell: either a Mavic Air 2 (best value for money) or a 2nd hand Phantom 3 (a bit old ans bulky, but rugged and inexpensive). 

I hope it helps. 

I was able to buy a Phantom Pro 3 secondhand two years back which was only used twice. I've done some flights and got it registered but because it's so bulky i've been afraid to take it with me on the desert drives.

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hi @Wrangeld I have the flag and radio, however don't have a shovel. Hope would work for Tomo's drive. Stuck in office till late today so might not be able to fetch one from store as well.  Kindly advice. 

Regards

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Hi @Wrangeld I have the flag and radio, however don't have a shovel. Hope would work for Tomo's drive. Stuck in office till late today so might not be able to fetch one from store as well.  Kindly advice. 

Regards

Hi Varun, 

As you have mentioned it up front we can accept it for this week's drive, but it is basic offroading equipment that every driver should have. If we need to dig you out tomorrow, rest assured, we will sanitize out shovels and give you the pleasure of digging :-)

See you in the morning. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use