•  

Newbie - LIWA 2020 Adventure Drive - 2 Dec 2020

Srikumar

Good morning. Yes  I have completed the required three drive ( one absolute newbie. And two other newbies). Hope to have wonderful and joyful safest trip to this empty quarter journey under the watchful Carnity worthy experts. Stay safe and blessed. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Hi @Srikumar need advice about Jerry Can... I have JL Wrangler usually use less than quarter tank during our morning newbie drive. Do you think I would need a Jerry Can for the drive, especially considering that ADNOC station is close to starting point... Kindly advice. I believe driving duration is twice the duration...so thought full tank would suffice. Looking forward for advice. 

I also drive a Wrangler....:)

Not the most fuel efficient car, I have to admit......I also use a 1/4 tank fuel on a morning drive. I have been in the dessert at Sweihan this past Friday and spent the full day between 10am and 6pm driving around friends and children for fun. Came out with just under 20 liters fuel left in my tank. 

I am throttle happy though....the Wrangler is such a toy. I will definately take a jerry can with me.

Edited by Ruan van den Heever
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Thanks @Srikumar in that case need advice on where can I get a Jerry can mount and what type should I go for (Jeep Wrangler JL) - something which is easy to be taken off etc (and not too expensive)...as i believe would be a hazard to have jerry can in the car and I don't have roof rack on my jeep... 

I strap my can in the back securely with a ratchet strap. Use the two (or 4) hooks on the floor in the back just infront if the tailgate.

My bigger question is whether to remove my roof for the drive or not?

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Ruan van den Heever said:

My bigger question is whether to remove my roof for the drive or not?

Are you planning to carry any items on it? If not, and if it's easy to remove I would suggest to remove it. The car would be lighter as well.

• Like (+1) 2

Hi @Ruan van den Heever - Yeah was thinking of strapping it in boot, however, not very comfortable with idea of gasoline inside car... however, i think @Srikumar tip of sealing it with a plastic bag before closing seems like a good idea.. will try that.. 

And @Ruan van den Heever  awesome thought of taking off the roof, i havent got the freedom roof stand yet and havent got a big garage, so wont be able to take off the back section, however, surely would go for front sections. 

Looking forward for drive with you all.

Next step --> need to check prerequisites of entering Abu Dhabi and process around the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Srikumar said:

@Sai Baskaran @Xavier Treasurer @Andrei @Nithin Vaidir @Dr Tariq Mahmood @Omar Al-khoori @Aamir Siddiqui @Syed Hussain @Zed @Goutam @bunty_and_pops  @mikaeel shaik @Lucky sAm @Probir Mukherjee @varunmehndiratta @Pickey Singh @Santhosh kumar Rajasekaran @Anvar Sadath Bekal @GauravSoni @Mus_hus78 

@Ruan van den Heever @sri ganesh @Paul Zeitoun

Thank you and welcome to Liwa 2020 Newbie Drive. To the waitlist of @Anoop joseph @Srijith Gangadharan @Sreenath Giridharan @Niki Patel hang in there as drops out do happen as we get closer to the drive and there is a reasonable chance that you would get an opportunity to taste Liwa with Carnity.

Request the following drive participants to confirm the following :

@Santhosh kumar Rajasekaran 

- Does your RR Sport have a Low Gear

- Does your EAS suspension let you lift your vehicle by an additional 2- 3 inch 

@varunmehndiratta @Paul Zeitoun @Aamir Siddiqui @Omar Al-khoori @Dr Tariq Mahmood 

- Confirm that you have or will complete the mandatory drives (1 Absolute Newbie + 2 Newbie) with Carnity before Nov 27

COVID19 Test

To those who are coming from Dubai, Sharjah and Northern Emirates please ensure that you undergo the COVID19 test max 48 hours prior to entering Abu Dhabi (which can be on 1st Dec or 2nd Dec). The procedure and centers are mentioned in the original drive post.

Drive Preparation

1. Firstly, get lots and lots of rest the previous day on 1st Dec. The more the better as Liwa will not only challenge your vehicle but your mind as well. We would need your complete focus and fatigue due to less rest is the last thing that is needed on such a terrain.

2. Ensure that your 4x4 is well serviced recently and all the lubes and fluids are topped up

3. 20 Liter fuel jerry can. If you have any doubts, please post your query on the drive post and we will assist.

4. A full fuel tank at the meeting point. 

5. Spare tyre should be in goodwroking condition. If not been used recently, ensure that you take it out and check the condition properly. Also ensure that you have the wrench that can be used to remove your tyre (if needed). In the past we have seen that people upgrade their tyres but still keep the the original wrench which is of no use to remove the upgraded tyre. So please ensure that your car has the right tool to remove the tyres (if needed).

6. Air compressor, proper shovel, flag, fire extinguisher, first aid kit,

7. Fully charged radio (tuned to all Carnity Frequencies) with spare battery / radio. If you have a car charger for your radio, please bring it along. 

8. All traction controls, ABS and Air bags need to be switched off. If it requires pulling the fuse, please research before the drive or better still, post your queries on this drive post and we would assist. 

9. Car charger / battery pack for your mobile.

10. Plenty of water, approx 5 litre per person per day. 

11. Bring along your breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc in easy to eat packing. We shall be having breaks in between the drive.

12. Dry food, energy bar, cookies, nuts, crisp to munch while driving

13. Bring garbage bags along to carry your trash. Littering in the desert is strictly prohibited.

Keep checking this list, as it might grow further in coming days. All the above points are Mandatory and your participation on the drive would be refused on the drive day by the trip lead if you fail to comply with the above.

Details of the exact meeting point will be updated on the Original Drive Post and Calendar shortly. Meeting time is 8 AM and we plan to exit out at Moreeb by 3 PM with sufficient breaks in between. There is a plan to have some nice photoshoots at the base of Moreeb dune at the end of the drive along with the Fewbie and Intermediate convoys (subject to everything going according to plan). More details will keep getting updated on this drive post.

Hi @Srikumar, can you please clarify if the  jerry can has to be plastic or metallic 

• Like (+1) 1

Nothing to carry inside. Wife fits inside (LOL), compressor will be secured in the back. Snacks in the cooler.........and recovery gear in the storage at the back, just incase the Jeep needs to rescue a Toyota....(no pun intended)

• Haha (+1) 1

@Ruan van den Heever my mistake, I read your query as roof rackand NOT roof. Sorry

Roof is your choice and I have no comments on it. Just consider that it's a 4 hours drive one way on the tarmac plus a full day drive in the sand. 

24 minutes ago, Sai Baskaran said:

Hi @Srikumar, can you please clarify if the  jerry can has to be plastic or metallic 

Fuel cans can be both metallic as well as plastic. The main criteria is that it' should be designated to store and transport fuel. If not the gas station attendents will not fill it up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paul Zeitoun said:

@Srikumar and all, i pulled out of the drive as will not be able to complete my 3rd drive in time. Glad to give the spot to people waitlisted, it gets more exciting.

Enjoy the day everyone

Ok. But I have noticed that you have already completed 2 drives already, and if you participate this week, you would have your 3rd drive. So are you still sure you will not be able to complete the 3 drives by Nov 27th (Friday)?

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use