•  

Intermediate - LIWA 2020 Adventure Drive - 2 Dec 2020

Emmanuel

57 minutes ago, Tero Vallas said:

Hi 

With 150 l tank I should survive, right... ?

Are you guys planning to stay overnight somewhere there ?

Group camping is not allowed. However, you are free to camp individually.

Alternatively you can try to book a hotel room, but from what we heard they are not available at the moment or are a bit pricey.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Emmanuel really looking forward to this drive. I will be with my family, trust this is ok (I checked and 4 people in a car from same family are allowed under the Abu Dhabi rules). 

Can I clarify, in case you have the latest information, that the finger prick test is sufficient for entry to Abu Dhabi and the PCR test is NOT required ? Based on my understanding this is sufficient and the test  can be done at the border entry or in the Seha clinics upto 48 hours before entry to Abu Dhabi. Thanks for the guidance. 

@Heisem I think Ace has some good plastic jerry cans for around Aed 60-65. 

• Like (+1) 1

@asifk no change about Covid test procedures. You can find all necessary informations by clicking on the dedicated link in the drive post.    

Regarding your idea of bringing your family with you, you should be aware of what an intermediate drive in Liwa means. Liwa is an extreme and very unforgiving terrain for off-roading, and your 4x4´s weight is important to avoid stucks. Besides, as it is an intermediate level drive, your passengers may feel sick. For them this all day drive would be very long. Having kids aboard is also a big responsibility for the whole convoy. 

• Totally Agree (+2) 2

Speaking of which... I'll add these few important topics that @Frederic and @Srikumar highlighted in their respective drive threads, as they also apply for intermediate

1) You need to make sure that your car is 100% in technical fit condition: recovering a broken vehicle in Liwa is an absolute enormous task which will take hours and in some cases we might have to just leave it behind. Please be aware of the long journey and the extreme stress your vehicle will undergo in this terrain. Get your vehicle FULLY inspected before joining this adventure. Make sure fluids, battery, spare wheel, and brakes are in optimal condition. If your vehicle already shows signs of slight overheating from regular Fewbie drives please do not join this drive. 

2) We will be driving in dunes which are more than 200m high and this also involves coming down steep slopes. If you struggle with fear of heights in Pink Rock or Fossil Rock, I would advise to think this through. Safety is our main focus but nevertheless we need people to stay calm and listen calmly to instructions as there is only little margin for human errors. 

3) More than anything, you need to be realistic in what your vehicle can do and choose the number of passengers wisely. If we see an underpowered vehicle with 4 adult persons inside and stuffed with camping gear, we will not allow you to join. This terrain will require a lot from your vehicle, and traveling light with minimum passengers will make sure your underpowered vehicle can survive this. 

Drive Preparation

1. Firstly, get lots and lots of rest the previous day on 1st Dec. The more the better as Liwa will not only challenge your vehicle but your mind as well. We would need your complete focus and fatigue due to less rest is the last thing that is needed on such a terrain.

2. Ensure that your 4x4 is well serviced recently and all the lubes and fluids are topped up

3. 20 Liter fuel jerry can. If you have any doubts, please post your query on the drive post and we will assist.

4. A full fuel tank at the meeting point. 

5. Spare tyre should be in goodworking condition. If not been used recently, ensure that you take it out and check the condition properly. Also ensure that you have the wrench that can be used to remove your tyre (if needed). In the past we have seen that people upgrade their tyres but still keep the the original wrench which is of no use to remove the upgraded tyre. So please ensure that your car has the right tool to remove the tyres (if needed).

6. Air compressor, recovery rope, soft shackles, proper shovel, flag, fire extinguisher, first aid kit are mandatory.

7. Fully charged radio (tuned to all Carnity Frequencies) with spare battery / radio unless you have a car charger for your radio. 

8. All traction controls, ABS and Air bags need to be switched off. If it requires pulling the fuse, please research before the drive or better still, post your queries on this drive post and we would assist. 

9. Car charger / battery pack for your mobile.

10. Plenty of water, approx 5 litre per person per day. 

11. Bring along your breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc in easy to eat packing. We shall be having breaks in between the drive.

12. Dry food, energy bar, cookies, nuts, crisp to munch while driving

13. Bring garbage bags along to carry your trash. Of course, littering in the desert is strictly prohibited.

Keep checking this list, as it might grow further in coming days. All the above points are Mandatory and your participation on the drive would be refused on the drive day by the trip lead if you fail to comply with the above.

Details of the exact meeting point will be updated on the Original Drive Post and Calendar shortly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

12 minutes ago, Emmanuel said:

@asifk no change about Covid test procedures. You can find all necessary informations by clicking on the dedicated link in the drive post.    

Regarding your idea of bringing your family with you, you should be aware of what an intermediate drive in Liwa means. Liwa is an extreme and very unforgiving terrain for off-roading, and your 4x4´s weight is important to avoid stucks. Besides, as it is an intermediate level drive, your passengers may fell sick. For them this all day drive would be very long. Having kids aboard is also a big responsibility for the whole convoy. 

Thanks @Emmanuel - my kids are little (11 and 7) so weight shouldn't be too much of an issue + plus my Pajero is the 3.8L. They love the desert drives and are excited to see the scenery and experience the drive as well ! We will not have any camping gear or anything other than the required safety gear for the drive. 

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use