•  
Advertise here

TPMS (remove or ignore) & ABS kill switch

Niki

Hi again

my first and last trip as an absolute newbie is over!  Couple of asks to this community to help ready for future drives 

1. reducing the tire pressure for the ride, having a pop out (likely due to my clumsy maneuvering) and then the subsequent tire cleaned out, the Tire pressure monitoring sensor (TPMS) broke and I now have a permanent warning light on the dash (all 5 wheels are monitored so even if I switch out with the spare this error remains).

ask: do I simply ignore the dash error or should I plan to remove the sensors and have regular valves installed? Would this enable deflation safely to a lower value (as no devices sitting inside the tire?)

2. ABS kept kicking in on the first drive ... it’s not a pleasant sound but didn’t limit my driving as I was on a beginner level. 

Ask - does the ABS kicking in have an impact on the car so I should arrange a kill switch to protect the brakes /mechanical side. 
Or can I just keep going at this beginner level as it’s just an inconvenience vs a longer term problem

ps. Showcasing how basic my mechanical knowledge is ... the car included a skid plate so my previous post was not acted upon!  Learnt this as the pop out was being fixed by hero @Ale Vallecchi and @Gaurav

Thanks again community... 

niki 

• Like (+1) 1

Hi @Niki Patel it was nice meeting you yesterday and it was fun drive considering your very first off-road drive.

For having a tire pop out there are multiple reasons responsible.

1. Type of tire - Dunlop Grandtrek AT22 is mainly an on-road tires and not ideal for desert. I have been branded as king of pop out when I was driving my Land Cruiser with Dunlop Grandtrek. Every drive I used to have one or two pop out. Later on I changed to Michelin LTX and never had a pop out again.

2. Deflation for road tires like dunlop grandtrek, bridgestone dueler and any other HT (Highway Tread) should not be lower than 14-15 PSI, as if you must have gone lower (by mistake, gauge error or leaking valve) it will result in pop out on smallest bump or sharp steering on high speed.

For TPMS, don't bother much as of now, as if you are running on Grandtrek you might have pop out soon again, so drive for 4-5 drives and see if you have complete buy-in to this new hobby, then think about changing tires or adapting greater control with grandtrek. Once you do that, then you can get the TPMS sensor as with TPMS wheels, sensor breaking is quite common and replacing will be a bit of task and an extra expense always.

For Traction, FJC comes with TC off button that I think (not sure completely) you need to either press and hold or press with key on/off @Ale Vallecchi can share the steps. This TC button disables partial traction interference and that should be again enough for newbie level drives. Then later on you can decide to install the kill switch (search and read here) or not with its pros and cons.

• Like (+1) 6

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Niki Patel firstly let me congratulate on completing your first drive successfully and sounds like you're already bitten by the sand bug reading your questions. Ignoring doesn't come easy for some as an OCD seeing something is wrong. However if you don't have OCD and can ignore it, as @Gaurav bhai put it you are still learning and can spend a fortune on spending on the TPMS after every drive. @Asif Hussain had a Ford Explorer truck which kept having this issue, maybe he can help you with suggestions as to what he had done.

Regarding Traction Control try to keep the button pressed for 10 seconds till you hear a beep and see 2 orange signs on your dash. For Toyota's this is the trick to get rid of 90% of the issues and no need for a kill switch. @Atif bhai can vouch for this as he drove smoothly ever after. Enjoy your ride and time with us, we are a community who likes to help and hope you'll pass on the tips and tricks you learn to those who join behind you.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Hi @Niki Patel it was nice meeting you yesterday and it was fun drive considering your very first off-road drive.

For having a tire pop out there are multiple reasons responsible.

1. Type of tire - Dunlop Grandtrek AT22 is mainly an on-road tires and not ideal for desert. I have been branded as king of pop out when I was driving my Land Cruiser with Dunlop Grandtrek. Every drive I used to have one or two pop out. Later on I changed to Michelin LTX and never had a pop out again.

2. Deflation for road tires like dunlop grandtrek, bridgestone dueler and any other HT (Highway Tread) should not be lower than 14-15 PSI, as if you must have gone lower (by mistake, gauge error or leaking valve) it will result in pop out on smallest bump or sharp steering on high speed.

For TPMS, don't bother much as of now, as if you are running on Grandtrek you might have pop out soon again, so drive for 4-5 drives and see if you have complete buy-in to this new hobby, then think about changing tires or adapting greater control with grandtrek. Once you do that, then you can get the TPMS sensor as with TPMS wheels, sensor breaking is quite common and replacing will be a bit of task and an extra expense always.

For Traction, FJC comes with TC off button that I think (not sure completely) you need to either press and hold or press with key on/off @Ale Vallecchi can share the steps. This TC button disables partial traction interference and that should be again enough for newbie level drives. Then later on you can decide to install the kill switch (search and read here) or not with its pros and cons.

Many thanks 🙏🏽 (again) @Gaurav.  My mechanical/technical skills are clearly not a strength (also removed from my profile 🤣).  Just holding it down a few seconds did the trick and disables both traction control and ABS.  

I was actually thinking to disable/remove the TPMS ... for 10 years I’ve not had it on another car and relied on visual inspection and ride to make sure was safe to drive so feel would easily work just as well ... and now owning a compressor and gauge .. well I almost fee the TPMS is a distraction.

look forward to seeing you again very soon, hopeful the morning rides with coffees or evening with bbq open up again soon and I’ll exchange details next time so I can get join you for the whisky promised :) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rahimdad said:

@Niki Patel firstly let me congratulate on completing your first drive successfully and sounds like you're already bitten by the sand bug reading your questions. Ignoring doesn't come easy for some as an OCD seeing something is wrong. However if you don't have OCD and can ignore it, as @Gaurav bhai put it you are still learning and can spend a fortune on spending on the TPMS after every drive. @Asif Hussain had a Ford Explorer truck which kept having this issue, maybe he can help you with suggestions as to what he had done.

Regarding Traction Control try to keep the button pressed for 10 seconds till you hear a beep and see 2 orange signs on your dash. For Toyota's this is the trick to get rid of 90% of the issues and no need for a kill switch. @Atif bhai can vouch for this as he drove smoothly ever after. Enjoy your ride and time with us, we are a community who likes to help and hope you'll pass on the tips and tricks you learn to those who join behind you.

@Rahimdad really nice of you ... so happy to get through the absolute newbie session and it was a blast !! 

the bug bit me some time back and if it were not for covid I would likely have started earlier in the year... the intro session just reinforced the interest and cannot wait to make it a true hobby!  Some negotiations at home are the current biggest challenges (tougher than a pop out). 

your advise was spot on ... holding the switch made the two lights come on and so feel a little silly but am glad I asked and grateful of this community to respond so quick and patiently... I will for sure look to pass any learnings on to the next set of newbies! 

Ps I am not competent OCD but the wife is and though this is not the main driver, likely every time she will get in there (trying to keep limits on that) I know it will be a conversation topic that doesn’t end well for me. 

@Asif Hussain do let me know your solution / experience.  At present I am contemplating just disabling it permanently vs maintaining the sensors.  Having a gauge and air compressor, I find I may have enough to manage without (did so with the previous car). 

looking forward to having an experience like @Atif had after learning the magic of that button.  

look forward to future drives with you all

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yes if its distraction to see that icon, then find the fuse in fuse diagram box and pull to see if it disable TPMS completely, although I doubt, but worth a shot 5 min DIY.

More than the whiskey, I need a calorie burner, tbh. I mentioned I love doing the shoveling to justify my calorie intake (for JD), as I find shoveling is very good compound exercise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

17 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Yes if its distraction to see that icon, then find the fuse in fuse diagram box and pull to see if it disable TPMS completely, although I doubt, but worth a shot 5 min DIY.

More than the whiskey, I need a calorie burner, tbh. I mentioned I love doing the shoveling to justify my calorie intake (for JD), as I find shoveling is very good compound exercise.

Another great tip!  Will try that this evening.  The calorie burning may explain why your shovel was so heavy!! I had to use 2 hands to move it 😂 ... to be a good citizen the next trip we do together I will be sure to keep the Dunlop’s on :) 

• Haha (+1) 2

@Niki Patel every off-roaders story, how to handle the wife. Just compromise in other areas and be firm when it comes to Friday to have your fill. About 12 years back when I started she would be like are you going off-roading again? Within a year her tune is changed to Why are you still here, no off-roading today?

Just hang in there buddy, like @Gaurav bhai says there is no nationality for a wife, they're all the same built. Eventually she will understand your passion for this sport. Better yet you can use @Wrangeld and @Jeepie ways and have one drive during the day and sign up your wife to have the other drive in the day. The same formula is being followed by @Anish S, @Veedooshee, @Desert Dweller and @Foxtrot Oscar. Disclaimer: I am not saying @Desert Dweller and @Foxtrot Oscar are a couple.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Rahimdad not only does this group teach how to read dunes, it seems reading the spouses and choosing the right track is also one of the value props!  :) ... what a community 

i will take the experience of this group to hand, am planning on joining every other week (after this Friday :) ) to ease the change but will want to join on a weekly basis as soon as i can.  the drive and experience already frees the mind from the week gone!

I sometimes feel the wife worries about the car more than me - she has grown attached to it even though it was my mid-life-crisis toy! 

• Haha (+1) 3