•  
Advertise here

TPMS (remove or ignore) & ABS kill switch

Niki

2 hours ago, Niki Patel said:

@Rahimdad not only does this group teach how to read dunes, it seems reading the spouses and choosing the right track is also one of the value props!  :) ... what a community 

i will take the experience of this group to hand, am planning on joining every other week (after this Friday :) ) to ease the change but will want to join on a weekly basis as soon as i can.  the drive and experience already frees the mind from the week gone!

I sometimes feel the wife worries about the car more than me - she has grown attached to it even though it was my mid-life-crisis toy! 

The more she attends the drives, she will slowly understand the desert way of life and maybe adopt it as her own passion as if it was always suppose to be...😉

And Carnity is just the perfect community to do so and she will soon feel like family...☺️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 11/21/2020 at 12:05 PM, Niki Patel said:

Hi again

my first and last trip as an absolute newbie is over!  Couple of asks to this community to help ready for future drives 

1. reducing the tire pressure for the ride, having a pop out (likely due to my clumsy maneuvering) and then the subsequent tire cleaned out, the Tire pressure monitoring sensor (TPMS) broke and I now have a permanent warning light on the dash (all 5 wheels are monitored so even if I switch out with the spare this error remains).

ask: do I simply ignore the dash error or should I plan to remove the sensors and have regular valves installed? Would this enable deflation safely to a lower value (as no devices sitting inside the tire?)

2. ABS kept kicking in on the first drive ... it’s not a pleasant sound but didn’t limit my driving as I was on a beginner level. 

Ask - does the ABS kicking in have an impact on the car so I should arrange a kill switch to protect the brakes /mechanical side. 
Or can I just keep going at this beginner level as it’s just an inconvenience vs a longer term problem

ps. Showcasing how basic my mechanical knowledge is ... the car included a skid plate so my previous post was not acted upon!  Learnt this as the pop out was being fixed by hero @Ale Vallecchi and @Gaurav

Thanks again community... 

niki 

Hi @Niki Patel. Sorry for my late reply, but I have been taken by a few working issues.

Regarding your comments, first of all do NOT worry too much about pop-outs. They happen, and yes, they often can be avoided, but off-roading, especially on sand, is a sport with a lot of variables in play, many of them not in the control of the driver, so pop-outs (and other small incidents) DO happen. Their likelihood may be reduced: 1) with the choice of tires that minimize them (see @Gaurav and others' comments),2)  with being careful not to slide sideways toward a flat (and hard) surface, and in general avoiding "angles" between tires and ground which may bee too sharp, 3) with avoiding sharp turns at high speed (ex. you can even have pop-outs on tarmac, if you drive deflated and take roundabouts too fast). So don't beat yourself too hard for what happened.

Also, 4) deflation is an issue in controlling pop-outs. It was your first drive on sand with a new car/set of tires. Being familiar with my own FJ, and my own Michelin tires, I suggested you go down to about 13psi: that may have been a bit too much, but then again, I am aware of the possibility of pop-outs, and I weight it out against the opportunity to enjoy a smoother, more efficient, drive on sand (if deflated to 15-16 psi, the performance of my FJ would suffer a bit), even at the cost of having to be a more careful about pop-outs (see paragraph above).

So, as you will find out for yourself, it just takes you to get more familiar and "in tune" with your car, its potential Vs. your own driving style, and things will come together for you, and balance out, eventually.

About the car's electronics, I just put in a kill-switch right away, and got done with all the headaches of dealing with the fuses, switches, etc. You can do that in due time, but at a certain point, if you persist in off-roading, and rise in rank, you'll have to do it. 

Anyways, the fact you are so interested and keen to learn speaks a lot about your potential. Keep it up, be patient, learn how to perfect your driving skills Vs. your car's characteristics and potential (even as close to stock as it comes), and you'll enjoy your new hobby. 

See you soon out there.

• Like (+1) 4

@Niki Patel after loosing 3 TPMS and AED 900 to fix it, I came up with a unique idea sitting at home. TPMS in my ford is fixed in the middle of rim using metal band. I removed all 4 TPMS and fixed in spare tyre (all four in one) and my problem was solved and i is to have pop out happily😃. I guess your model has a TPMS in valve and my idea will not work for you. There is way out to delete this warning light permanently from ECU or by bypassing. Yota forums will definitely have solution for you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Hi @Niki Patel. Sorry for my late reply, but I have been taken by a few working issues.

Regarding your comments, first of all do NOT worry too much about pop-outs. They happen, and yes, they often can be avoided, but off-roading, especially on sand, is a sport with a lot of variables in play, many of them not in the control of the driver, so pop-outs (and other small incidents) DO happen. Their likelihood may be reduced: 1) with the choice of tires that minimize them (see @Gaurav and others' comments),2)  with being careful not to slide sideways toward a flat (and hard) surface, and in general avoiding "angles" between tires and ground which may bee too sharp, 3) with avoiding sharp turns at high speed (ex. you can even have pop-outs on tarmac, if you drive deflated and take roundabouts too fast). So don't beat yourself too hard for what happened.

Also, 4) deflation is an issue in controlling pop-outs. It was your first drive on sand with a new car/set of tires. Being familiar with my own FJ, and my own Michelin tires, I suggested you go down to about 13psi: that may have been a bit too much, but then again, I am aware of the possibility of pop-outs, and I weight it out against the opportunity to enjoy a smoother, more efficient, drive on sand (if deflated to 15-16 psi, the performance of my FJ would suffer a bit), even at the cost of having to be a more careful about pop-outs (see paragraph above).

So, as you will find out for yourself, it just takes you to get more familiar and "in tune" with your car, its potential Vs. your own driving style, and things will come together for you, and balance out, eventually.

About the car's electronics, I just put in a kill-switch right away, and got done with all the headaches of dealing with the fuses, switches, etc. You can do that in due time, but at a certain point, if you persist in off-roading, and rise in rank, you'll have to do it. 

Anyways, the fact you are so interested and keen to learn speaks a lot about your potential. Keep it up, be patient, learn how to perfect your driving skills Vs. your car's characteristics and potential (even as close to stock as it comes), and you'll enjoy your new hobby. 

See you soon out there.

Thank you @Ale Vallecchi for the feedback and encouragement!!  You are absolutely right to direct my focus on building my driving skills and I need to really develop a feel for the car as it’s still completely new for me in that environment!  1000km on tarmac allowed me to master the stereo but that’s about it :) 

Looking forward to the next experience as a newbie and will take the lessons learnt with me regarding approach coming down, limiting the sliding sideways and over aggression on turning. knowing I may have a more forgiving experience in a more appropriate set of tires - if I can secure these by Friday I will likely make that investment (if nothing more it will give a little more tolerance as I continue to learn and develop my style and confidence)

1 hour ago, Asif Hussain said:

@Niki Patel after loosing 3 TPMS and AED 900 to fix it, I came up with a unique idea sitting at home. TPMS in my ford is fixed in the middle of rim using metal band. I removed all 4 TPMS and fixed in spare tyre (all four in one) and my problem was solved and i is to have pop out happily😃. I guess your model has a TPMS in valve and my idea will not work for you. There is way out to delete this warning light permanently from ECU or by bypassing. Yota forums will definitely have solution for you.

@Asif Hussain huge thanks for sharing your experience and hack ... that’s an ingenious solution !!!!! When switching out tires I will ask the garage if that’s an option!!

I thankfully don’t suffer from OCD as previously stated so can likely just ignore the light for now and when in for a service will enquirie about getting it deactivated properly... as it’s a warning light vs showing actual pressure the value is really limited 

Edited by Niki Patel
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

See you soon out there.

Hey @Ale Vallecchi, great info as usual, thank you! Question: what does your kill switch do?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ahab Shamaa said:

Hey @Ale Vallecchi, great info as usual, thank you! Question: what does your kill switch do?

Hi @Ahab Shamaa. It deactivates the traction control and ABS. Not the airbags, which however, can be deactivated (only the lateral one, which are the ones likely to go off while off-roading) with the RSCA button, on the left side of the steering wheel.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Short update to close out the thread.  @Gaurav happy to say I found the size tires  :) and even better managed to sell my Dunlop’s for 1k to help ease the blow! 

I decided to remove the TPMS sesnors from all the wheels and have them sitting in a bag at home as the garage would put them all into the spare as per @Asif Hussain.  I tried and tried to convince them to do it but they refused lol. @Rahimdad I am now testing how OCD I really am as the warning light is now permanent.  I couldn’t remove a fuse to solve the warning light so if I struggle due to OCD it’s either black tape or a more drastic solution (on the FJ forums one owner in the US created a pressurized container with all 5 TPMS in that lol 😂

thanks for all the advice.. and glad to have got more suitable tires and learnt the TPMS lesson early enough to allow me to remove them all as I did the upgrade to the tires.  

B3144499-701A-48DE-BB47-CED9184807F2.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Congrats on finally getting the offroad tires and double congrats on fetching 1K for grandtreks.

With geolander you will never have a pop out EVER AGAIN, so if you like to install TPMS then you can/should.

I popped mine twice in 8 years and both time it was accidental high speed jump that landed one tire on the bush.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Niki Patel If you have kid(s) who are interested to venture into the dessert with you, bring them along. Lots of bonding time with the kid and provide a (very) convenient and cogent justification to the missus 😁

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1