•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Morning Fewbie Desert Drive Angel's Anniversary - Qudra & Beyond - Dubai - 27 Nov 2020

Wrangeld

As most of us have driven before, you will know that I do like to give a heads up about what to expect on our upcoming drives. This week will be no different. 

It was a year ago that myself and Jeepie (Marjan) first ventured out into the sand of the UAE. She has never driven off road before, I had only driven in Europe - where mud rivers and rocks are the challenge, definitely not sand. A year on, I am a Marshal in Carnity and Marjan at Expert rank. It's been an amazing year, learning about the UAE [mainly Dubai since COVID], our driving skills, our car and yes, as we shared a car for the first 10 months, our relationship. So far all of us survived!

So what's this anniversary drive about? 

1. Fun: At the end of the day, driving in the sand should be fun. If that's fun because it is very exciting, or seeing nature or challenging ourselves, it should never be something we do because we have to. We have had a lot of fun during the year and want to share that feeling. 
  2. Challenges: There are different types of challenge we face in the desert. The reason I chose the Qudra, Solar park area for this week is because there are a lot of chances to try different things. We can drive from area to area one part highly technical, one part with long straight dunes where we can side slope or drive the create one part with swooping high dunes where precision is esential because the sand is so soft nearby. 
  3. Recoveries: I know it's quite boring waiting for someone else to be recovered, it's the best learnign you will get to be able to sort out your own problems if they arrive when you are driving. As drive leads, helping out with stucks and recoveries is part of the fun and the learnign as well. Yes, it's always nice to keep moving as much as possible but we also need to take up the level so that everyone learns how to get out of trouble as well as into it. 
  4. Rising your drive level: We increase intensity on drives based on the driver response. If everyone is doing well, if there are no stucks, if the drivers can cope, then we will increase the intensity and the type of drive accordingly. Look out for moments of criss crossing, and ridge riding during the drive - you're fewbies after all. 

So, please, lets make it a fun drive. Come with your car in good order, with your mind clear and we will all have a great time. 

See you soon in the sand. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

50 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

As most of us have driven before, you will know that I do like to give a heads up about what to expect on our upcoming drives. This week will be no different. 

It was a year ago that myself and Jeepie (Marjan) first ventured out into the sand of the UAE. She has never driven off road before, I had only driven in Europe - where mud rivers and rocks are the challenge, definitely not sand. A year on, I am a Marshal in Carnity and Marjan at Expert rank. It's been an amazing year, learning about the UAE [mainly Dubai since COVID], our driving skills, our car and yes, as we shared a car for the first 10 months, our relationship. So far all of us survived!

So what's this anniversary drive about? 

1. Fun: At the end of the day, driving in the sand should be fun. If that's fun because it is very exciting, or seeing nature or challenging ourselves, it should never be something we do because we have to. We have had a lot of fun during the year and want to share that feeling. 
  2. Challenges: There are different types of challenge we face in the desert. The reason I chose the Qudra, Solar park area for this week is because there are a lot of chances to try different things. We can drive from area to area one part highly technical, one part with long straight dunes where we can side slope or drive the create one part with swooping high dunes where precision is esential because the sand is so soft nearby. 
  3. Recoveries: I know it's quite boring waiting for someone else to be recovered, it's the best learnign you will get to be able to sort out your own problems if they arrive when you are driving. As drive leads, helping out with stucks and recoveries is part of the fun and the learnign as well. Yes, it's always nice to keep moving as much as possible but we also need to take up the level so that everyone learns how to get out of trouble as well as into it. 
  4. Rising your drive level: We increase intensity on drives based on the driver response. If everyone is doing well, if there are no stucks, if the drivers can cope, then we will increase the intensity and the type of drive accordingly. Look out for moments of criss crossing, and ridge riding during the drive - you're fewbies after all. 

So, please, lets make it a fun drive. Come with your car in good order, with your mind clear and we will all have a great time. 

@Wrangeld @Jeepie For both of you best wishes  💐.I like your approach both before , during and after the drive. Hopefully in the coming weeks I will be joining you guys . 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Mohamed Abo ElKomsan said:

@Wrangeld Hi , sorry but I need to apologize from Friday ride due to unforeseen commitment, C U in next rides

Hi @Mohamed Abo ElKomsan shame that we will not see you on Friday. @Abu Muhammad it's your lucky day, you are off the waitlist and into the drive.Please confirm to me that you saw this so we know to expect you Friday. 

• Like (+1) 3

Wednesday evening and we have had a few drop outs with spaces filled by our waitlist. I am really pleased we are able to fill the spaces now and that the waitlisted members get the chance to drive. 

In looking at the vehicles that we have on the convoy there's a lot of mega vehicles (i.e. BIG) which has me questioning my original plan of driving into technical dunes as a part of the proposed route. 

@Francois Germishuys, @Mahmoud Asar @Abu Muhammad please let us know your level of confidence of driving through small technical dunes. I have said it before that the ability to navigate through these small tightly packed dunes is an essential 4x4 skill, but it does not have the adrenalin of high and wide dunes [and let's face it, getting through without problems is more difficult]. 

Hopefully you are all up for that challenge. If not, get yourself ready for it! 

More to follow tomorrow, with the convoy numbering and the radio channel. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

Wednesday evening and we have had a few drop outs with spaces filled by our waitlist. I am really pleased we are able to fill the spaces now and that the waitlisted members get the chance to drive. 

In looking at the vehicles that we have on the convoy there's a lot of mega vehicles (i.e. BIG) which has me questioning my original plan of driving into technical dunes as a part of the proposed route. 

@Francois Germishuys, @Mahmoud Asar @Abu Muhammad please let us know your level of confidence of driving through small technical dunes. I have said it before that the ability to navigate through these small tightly packed dunes is an essential 4x4 skill, but it does not have the adrenalin of high and wide dunes [and let's face it, getting through without problems is more difficult]. 

Hopefully you are all up for that challenge. If not, get yourself ready for it! 

More to follow tomorrow, with the convoy numbering and the radio channel. 

Thank you @Wrangeld I am highly confident with driving through small technical dunes but this doesn’t mean I may not get stock 😂 as this is the only way to practice, progress and learn so I like new challenges and would appreciated. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

5 minutes ago, Abu Muhammad said:

Thank you @Wrangeld I am highly confident with driving through small technical dunes but this doesn’t mean I may not get stock 😂 as this is the only way to practice, progress and learn so I like new challenges and would appreciated. 

What a fantastic attitude - and yes, you're right. You cannot get the expertise without the practice and the practice has the risk of getting stuck.

See you Friday. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

What a fantastic attitude - and yes, you're right. You cannot get the expertise without the practice and the practice has the risk of getting stuck.

See you Friday. 

Actually getting stuck especially in the first two steps of our ladder , I would say , is necessary and unavoidable opportunity to learn it , ( I am not saying to surrender to it easily ) but baby dunes and narrow passages in between that even for LWB vehicles can be challenging , I would admire the energy and welling of the heavy long base vehicles drivers like @Abu Muhammad, accepting the more challenge 💪. I wished to be driving with you in qudra this Friday  ( my favorite spot ) , but in the next weeks after Liwa is over I will . God well 

best of luck and cheers all 

@Wrangeld catch you soon  dear friend with much thrill and technical soft baby dunes 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use