•  

Suggestion for a Demo

M.Seidam

@Carnity
Dear Desert wanderers 

Each drive has its own pace and difficulty set by the leader depending on the level ( newbie , fewbie , F+ , intermediate ... and so on ) so are the maneuvers and style we perform ( side sloping , ridge riding , crisscrossing .... etc ) and all these are intentional and planned safely. Part of the game which is not intentional is when we encounter a refusal or stuck. How about to make it intentional ?!

I am suggesting a conditional intentional stuck situation in safe environment where all drivers can witness it and learn from it in terms of analyzing the situation and learn the proper recovery technique . and this can be demonstrated once each drive matching the level of the drive . Especially the newbie and fewbie. 

for example like when we line up getting ready for uphill or side sloping the leader can choose a planned area where this can be demonstrated and still all is present and no violation to the Covid 19 precaution 

I believe the planed one would be far more beneficial for everyone as we know it’s part of our planned action during the drive. 

The real limitation to this maybe the time factor. Which might be on the expanse of other skills others see it more important . But to me there is no more skill higher for the off-roader to get out of a sticky situation as it’s an art of its own.

Waiting your comments and feedback our seniors 

thank you 

cheers 

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 5

@Mohamed Seidam you've asked a very good question and I feel your genuine learning intention behind your question. I for one feel you're learning just fine at the pace you're going and also you're an integral part of our community sharing your experiences and encouraging everyone to share their experiences as well.

All level drives are always planned and executed with safety for all in mind. I'm very glad that after seeing an amazing growth in number of participants and our team of Marshal and Crew going up, each one of us takes full responsibility to give all participants a chance to learn and grow within a safe environment. We all believe and practice the same.

Getting stuck and recovering, whether self or with assistance is something that comes natural. No matter how many caution we take, somebody will always get stuck and need to either self recover or need someone's help to come out of their predicament. You should realize that some of these stucks come along with the chance of damaging their vehicle, so who knowingly is going to nominate themselves to damage their vehicle? Also most people sign in to a drive to have a silky smooth experience and if we have such sessions as you said is going to take time. Besides you're already posting videos of most situations and I see your post gaining good traction.

I remember @Gaurav bhai about 3 years back ran a drive in 2 parts over 2 weekends to make people realize the art of traction, when deflation becomes important, when engaging to 4WD becomes important and some basics in recovery. The big thing we all learned from that day was where and how to dig, which each one of us preaches till date. With the Covid19 restrictions being eased a bit I would request @Gaurav bhai to run similar drive for all interested. But a disclaimer as this will not be much of a drive as we will be experimenting a lot of things and a lot of patience will be required for such an event.

Honestly I think with our current structure everyone has ample of time to learn, practice and perfect each manoeuvre at their respective levels. Every car is different, as is every driver and every drivers fear. At our level we like to encourage, but also point out if we see any weak points for members to work at. BTW with 1 on 1 training you can sign up for one of the lessons so that we can design and deliver a training specific to yourself and your X.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I would second and participate in such initiatives should it materialize. 

It would be good for the instructor to do the driving and a senior member to be a passenger to give a live commentary over the radio to relay information like throttle level, gearing, steering input, speed/momentum. This will help the participants watching to appreciate and understand it better.  

Whilst what we are doing is really good because we are doing the real stuff, driving on the sand and experience it first hand, a lesson or 2 on the real theory 'lecture' will be very beneficial. 

• Like (+1) 3

Great respect to @Rahimdad bhai and all other seniors and drivers for their point of view 

I still believe that induced stuck on purpose in well selected area for the purpose of learning the fine detail still can be executed with no damage to the vehicle . It’s not necessary to be done like a routine but if the time permits as well as the general situation of the convoy response and upon their agreement . I would volunteer to my X get stuck for the first try and without trying we will never no how this will go . 

regarding 1:1 is great but it will be only me and I want all to be involved .

• Like (+1) 1

I believe no amount of demonstration will help you to self-recover fully successfully because you are watching someone else. From the moment you get stuck yourself your brain starts to process things differently and at that point in time you should go through the following things in your head:

1) Stay calm and announce your stuck or refusal on the radio.

2) Exit the vehicle and walk around it. Most probably you will quickly see what is causing the stuck.

3) Engage 4Lo.

4) Steer 5 times left, 5 times right and give a tiny amount of gas just to see if you can get the car to move a bit.

5) If the vehicle is still moving, you can most-probably crawl yourself out slowly.

6) If the vehicle is not moving, go over to the use of a Rear Diff lock, and try again gently.

7) If still no movement is occuring, take out the shovel and identify the areas where sand needs to be cleared.

As you can see these things will come with time and practice, and time and time again i have noticed some people nod a YES that they understood our verbal instructions, but when faced with the real scenario, their body goes into 'block' mode and they start to panic, become agitated, and seem to have difficulties in listening to very simple instructions. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

I believe no amount of demonstration will help you to self-recover fully successfully because you are watching someone else. From the moment you get stuck yourself your brain starts to process things differently and at that point in time you should go through the following things in your head:

1) Stay calm and announce your stuck or refusal on the radio.

2) Exit the vehicle and walk around it. Most probably you will quickly see what is causing the stuck.

3) Engage 4Lo.

4) Steer 5 times left, 5 times right and give a tiny amount of gas just to see if you can get the car to move a bit.

5) If the vehicle is still moving, you can most-probably crawl yourself out slowly.

6) If the vehicle is not moving, go over to the use of a Rear Diff lock, and try again gently.

7) If still no movement is occuring, take out the shovel and identify the areas where sand needs to be cleared.

As you can see these things will come with time and practice, and time and time again i have noticed some people nod a YES that they understood our verbal instructions, but when faced with the real scenario, their body goes into 'block' mode and they start to panic, become agitated, and seem to have difficulties in listening to very simple instructions. 

Dear @Frederic I respect your point of view. On the other hand the live Demonstration at the beginning can be done by more experienced driver then by time you will see the others will want to volunteer for the demo or at that stage to experience a real situation but “ arranged “ like any other practice we do while drive . So no panic. 

in distress situations no one is immune to anything . I have seen somewhere else experienced drivers in the face of imminent threat just loose control and get panicked forgetting the basics.

I wish this be part of our weekly practice so we can master it the same way we master the other maneuvers , other than the stuck or refusal that comes along!

Cheers 🙏🏻

Important Information

Terms of use