•  
Advertise here

Subwoofer options for an FJ Cruiser

Niki

<<Also posted on the Audio Advice channel/forum>>

Hi community,

2 drives into my Carnity experience, I am realizing how disappointing the stock Speakers in the new FJ Cruisers sound as the setup includes 8 speakers but no SubWoofer.  tiny sound, rattling doors and just a disappointing experience (that and the tyres are my only gripe - i love the car in every other way) 

With every future drive with the club being a minimum 2 hours round trip just to the meeting points, I feel the need to improve the Acoustics in the car and add some real bass/subwoofer. 

Current Setup:

• 2 small speakers on either side of the Dash
  • 2 speakers in the front doors
  • 2 Speakers in the rear pillar 
  • 2 speakers in the roof/headlining above passengers
  • 12" touch screen Android head unit
    • Toyota didn't provide any documentation for the head unit (so i do not know its specifications however will try and search for this form the FJCruiser Forum) 
    • i will try and source the manufacturer and specs of the current speakers also if that offers any value

My Goal:

• Not replace the current speakers (only 1 month in and i am not an audiophile (yet) so feel its just the low end i am missing out on) 
  • add a subwoofer that will work well with the current set up
  • ideally keep the trunk space empty (have though about under seat Subs?)
  • open to using the space in the trunk if that's a better option
  • budget - good quality sound (not needing competition grade and not looking for budget options) 
  • Installation: if the team are looking for a small project i would happily get my hands dirty to learn and do it together otherwise i am looking to buy and install from the same place (as per previous advice on this forum) 

Help needed: 

1. Should I consider the stock FJ Subwoofers as an option? either from one of those scrap yards or second hand? 
  2. or is there a far better sounding option by buying aftermarket stuff with a custom enclosure 
  3. any advice on those that have added a Subwoofer to a stock system and the basics i will need (assumed a new Amp + sub and cabling being the only requirements?) - but assume i am wrong as a cross over i suspect is essential but do educate me here 
  4. can the community help guide me on a recommended set up 
  5. long shot - any of the group up to help install as a project or advise on suitable locations to source and fit they trust. 

thanks again 

• Like (+1) 1

Hi Niki, 

Regarding the FJ sound system, as an audiophile myself I found it to be terrible in the 2013 FJ Cruiser that I have. 

First thing I did was to replace the stock head unit with a Pioneer head unit with touchscreen display. I immediately felt a noticeable difference in bass because it has a small amp in itself. About 50W. Compared to the 15W headunit from before (Im sure the one you have is much better than the old school radio knob one). 

The next thing I did was to replace the front dash speakers with Kenwood 4''. Slightly better sound than before, I recommend you get the Harman Kardon ones with build in tweeter as they sound better than Kenwood.

As for the door speakers I replaced the stock units with 150Watt RMS (650W Max) Pioneer speakers. Now if you want to save yourself a lot of work, don't do it because when you change the door speakers in the FJ you need to carryout sound proofing which I did not do at first. It sounded like a rattling mess with bass. I ordered sound dampening Killmat from US, removed the door panels and installed it on the metal door frame as well as the plastic door panel on the inside. About 6 hours of work. 

As for the AMP i have a 1500Watt Pioneer under the passenger seat which is plugged to the car battery directly through the engine firewall. All the cabling was done by a professional and they are well hidden, not noticeable. 

For the Subwoofer I have the slim line Pioneer 400Watt RMS in the trunk. Its a small sealed Subwoofer that takes up very little space and is very powerful. 

That was my recommendation for audiophile and been dune bashing with this setup but if you just want more bass than you can get a subwoofer with a built in amp. That is the easiest option.

IMG_20181113_145656.jpg

IMG_20181114_155157.jpg

IMG_20181111_133840.jpg

IMG_20181127_204051.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

@Heisem Massive thanks for sharing your setup, learnings, recommendations and pics!! Truly helpful and what i do have is audio envy :) !! 

thankfully the standard head-unit is the 12" Apple's car play/android head unit so suspect it has a decent power output and processors but your pics and experience has me tempted for a proper amp + upgrades to the 4" mids.  

Soundproofing was a big lesson you have shared with us all if we change the door speakers!  much appreciated.  

I am going to do some more research, I have found an Alpine Amplified under-seat Sub fully fitted for 1200.  its hardly a comparison to your set up but may give me that extra bass whilst keep the trunk free?

will share the journey i take and certainly some pics.  I have some of the current factory fitted head-unit i will attach to this thread via my phone later this evening. 

D353E205-083C-47D8-9037-2A8507329908.jpeg

09B5E9AD-2203-47EB-B867-86968A3448FD.jpeg

EE3AABFA-B4F9-47F6-B46B-09BA2D0DB5ED.jpeg

BCA75533-5F36-47CF-A7F7-925F7F94A801.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3

@Niki Patel under seat sub is also a good option which will greatly improve the sound quality in your car especially if you want to save trunk space. However a sub in the trunk always sounds more powerful. 

Custom subs can be created to fit the space on the side of the trunk where the JBL sub would be (sold on older VXR FJ's in the past) but this requires some effort to make or find someone to make it for you. 

I did not mind the space the Pioneer occupied so i opted for an easy trunk sub option. 

Look at some pictures or videos of FJ sound setups, there are plenty out there to get ideas from 😄. And no need to rush it take your time and do your research. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Great advice @Heisem ... again! 

I will certainly take my time ... it’s so tempting to just go rush and install as it’s made so easy to do out here (2hours and I have a sub!).  But I will spend some time reviewing the vids and pics as you mentioned to get to a decision. 

hope to see you out on the dunes in the future... am still at a newbie level but have caught the bug so 🤞🏽

• Like (+1) 2

@Heisem @topgear - i ignored my own (and your)  advice and went ahead with an upgrade!! i went to simply visit the store to look at audio options and ended up upgrading to component speakers for the front door and dash (8" mids in the door and tweets replacing the dash speakers).  I also go it all sound proofed/deadened.  the deadening / soundproofing was the most impressive part.  i am actually a little dissapointed with the audio quality and likely that is due to the headunit.  As lovely as a 12.1" screen is, the quality of the processor and amp is really poor - i would have been better off with the older units :) according to the store.  will share some pics below and my experience if it helps other FJ owners.  overall i am actually happy as i feel changes in the future will wake up the speakers. 

look out for some more pics and details to help future FJ upgraders 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

E3CADA63-76D7-4F5D-91E8-E4409187B237.jpeg

16F1F031-9F63-4E28-8023-4A752EF4CE7A.jpeg

Ground Zero Sound Proofing (5 sheets used) .. main install on door card and inside  of front doors.  They were generous and thorough with where they applied the stuff. 

Ground Zero 8” component kit (includes cross over and tweets) 

including fitting it cost a total 1600aed.  

I feel it’s a foundation for the next upgrade (adding an amp + underseat sub) 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1