•  

Rollover Analysis

Zed

Alhamdulillah I survived a rollover that happened yesterday. I've been watching the dashcam recording and trying to remember what I did wrong, but my brain seems to block the memory of the moments before it happened, so I'm reaching out to the experts here, what could be the cause of my rollover? *dashcam video attached below

Some stuff that I can think of:

a. Did I lose momentum? The bottom speed timestamp says I went from 48km/h, 46, 44, 37km/h before rolling over.

b. Did I get a tyre pop-out? When I got out of the car, both of my left tyres popped out. I had to use a jack and fill them up to 40psi to make the tyres pop-in back again and to drive the car outside the desert. But maybe the left  tyres popped out due to the rollover to the left? If that so, why are my right tyres intact (right tyres didn't pop out). I was driving with 15psi all tyres btw.

c. At the 00:02 footage, you can see the Jeep in front of me swerved to the left. What the camera didn't show was that the Jeep went on drifting on my left side instead of exiting gracefully with the nose down first. Basically in a quick moment I turned my face to the left, seeing a car on my left side and scared that if I also exit-left-with-nose-first to go with gravity, I might crash into the Jeep... could I have done something wrong with my reflex? Like maybe letting go of the gas pedal to slow down cause afraid of crashing with the car on the left side. Someone said "look front when driving off-road and don't be distracted by left and right sightseeings." I should have focus straight and not be afraid of my left side.

d. I was the last of the convoy, so nobody was behind me, otherwise maybe that person could tell from behind what went wrong...

• Sad (0) 6

Sorry to hear about your incident. But on the other hand its good to analyze what went wrong and how one can avoid such incidents in the future. 

Few observations:

1. Your loss of speed was mainly due to the fact that the rear of the car was fishtailing towards the left. For you to safely ride the ridge and crossed it over your speed should have kept increasing.

2. Once you lost the momentum, you should have steered down , i.e, towards the left side

3. More distance ought to have been kept in such fast pace drives so that in the event that the car in front has a refusal, the car behind has sufficient time and space to exit out safely.

4. Also if one cannot make the ridge its important to not force the car over and  to exit out. Once exited you can try to avoid an incident by braking hard (not preferred but would be a lesser evil)

5. Regarding the popouts on the left side, since you drive a Patrol Y62 which is a heavy beast, when the roll was about to take place the entire weight of the car would have been on the left wheels causing it to pop out.

Thankfully there was no physical injury and you are safe. A question, what was the level of the drive that you were participating in?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

29 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

2. Once you lost the momentum, you should have steered down , i.e, towards the left side

Thankfully there was no physical injury and you are safe. A question, what was the level of the drive that you were participating in?

Thanks @Srikumar for the always helpful tips. Regarding #2, I suddenly remembered I did turn my steering wheel to the left cos I remember @Rahimdad briefings kept on saying "don't fight Gravity!". I preferred my nose to go down first so I immediately turned left when I lost momentum, however I felt that my Patrol rolled over immediately as soon as the steering went left 😢

As for the drive level, this was with a couple of friends, not an "official club". We went to Nagra Hill in Sweihan. The drive was very similar to my last Qudra 15 May Drive led by Mr @Srikumar , with a lot of side walling and I think we did a few ridge riding too? I remembered cos this is where I broke my bumpers and started the thread "Should I fix my Y62 bumpers or buy second-hand Jeep?" 😂

So I guess, I dunno, between Newbie to Fewbie? 😬

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Zed said:

Thanks @Srikumar for the always helpful tips. Regarding #2, I suddenly remembered I did turn my steering wheel to the left cos I remember @Rahimdad briefings kept on saying "don't fight Gravity!". I preferred my nose to go down first so I immediately turned left when I lost momentum, however I felt that my Patrol rolled over immediately as soon as the steering went left 😢

As for the drive level, this was with a couple of friends, not an "official club". We went to Nagra Hill in Sweihan. The drive was very similar to my last Qudra 15 May Drive led by Mr @Srikumar , with a lot of side walling and I think we did a few ridge riding too? I remembered cos this is where I broke my bumpers and started the thread "Should I fix my Y62 bumpers or buy second-hand Jeep?" 😂

So I guess, I dunno, between Newbie to Fewbie? 😬

@Zed sorry for your rollover. Is the vehicle damaged badly? Alhumdulillah that you didn’t get injured.

I too felt that the speed was quite reduced before the fish-tailing started. If you did turn your stearing downwards it was already too late as there was no momentum to carry the front in the downward direction. 
Your point of concentration is quite valid, it only takes a few milliseconds of lapse in it for things to change. 
However, you are doing the right thing to evaluate what happened. 
The above is my point of view only so please rely on the Carnity senior member advice. 

Edited by Atif
  • Like (+1) 7

@Zed sorry to hear , and great to know you are safe. From the footage it definitely looks like there was fishtailing (between 2 to 5 s on the video) and you should have steered down instead of fighting gravity when you don't have the momentum to get on a ridge and ride it like the are in front on the video (first car).

Second car exited out as soon as there wasn't any momentum, which you should have followed. We all learn from these mistakes and I hope what matters at the end of the day is that you are unhurt and safe. I hope the car had off road insurance and repairs are covered. Take care

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

12 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Can you share the video 30 - 60 secs prior to this footage?

Sure will do that after coming home from office today 👍🏻

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chaitanya D said:

Second car exited out as soon as there wasn't any momentum, which you should have followed. We all learn from these mistakes and I hope what matters at the end of the day is that you are unhurt and safe. I hope the car had off road insurance and repairs are covered. Take care

This is Very SOUND advice @Chaitanya 👍🏻 . Agree: if the car in front of you exit, you should follow exit regardless you have momentum or not. This way, you won't have to worry the car in front of you will suddenly be on your left-side or right-side as you'll have time to manouvre  even if he drifts or spins like crazy. 

Thank you, definitely lesson learned 😊

12 hours ago, Srikumar said:

From what little I saw it didn't seem like anywhere between Newbie to Fewbie.

so does my war wound warrant a status upgrade? *joking

Just realized recently that Carnity still does weekly Abu Dhabi trips, so I will stick to that in the future (either in my repaired Patrol or some other 4x4 - here's wishing for something after new year 🤞 *fingers crossed)

• Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Can you share the video 30 - 60 secs prior to this footage?

Even better @Gaurav, here's 5-mins video before the rollover.

See, it started off just fine like any other Solar Park drives, flat then up-down 😄 ... as we say, it's nasib... what's meant to happen just happens

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 1

Important Information

Terms of use