•  
Advertise here

LED camping light specifications

Atif

My content here is not really about cars but as most off-roaders love to camp overnight, I thought it may interest them. 

The issue is this:

The wattage rating of LED lights, e.g. camping lights seems quite misleading on some claims on the net and even printed on the LED itself.  Here I am referring to the rod mounted LEDs. If you go on to the net for LED camp lights it advertises ones of 800W and 2,000 watts for those shown in attached pics. 

As I was curious how long a 12V battery could sustain this LED light,  things were not making sense . For some time now, I wanted to calculate how many hours my 12V , 7AH battery would sustain my camp light. My LED states it is a 100W light so it implied 8.3 Amps current . (using Current= Power/Voltage) . This means my battery would not sustain it even for an hour at the max 7 AH. However, it almost always lasts a very long time ( over 2 hours ) as I have never drained the battery during any of my late night picnics/bbqs.

I could be wrong but I feel that these lights in specific are being rated as per comparable wattage not actual. The reasoning that led me to this is that if you buy an LED bulb for your home it would normally have a lighting level comparison stating its light output equivalence if you had an incandescent or an energy saving bulb that you were replacing with it. So a 13W LED bulb gives equivalent lumens of light as a 75W regular incandescent bulb and a 18-19W CFL. 

I request those into Electronics know-how to reconfirm my understanding.

LED Light.png

• Like (+1) 1

Totally agree. Wattage is being thrown around on the boxes and spec sheets but there is no real rules or regulation so they can put what they want to they want on the box. Your formulas are right. In fact you should look at the lumens but again they will put on the box what they want. My recommendation is to just give it a try and look at the thickness of the wiring. If it’s a very tiny flimsy wire it won’t be made for 400 Watts 😜

• Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Atif the LED wattage being said is “equivalent” wattage for a normal CFL or sodium vapour lamp (higher wattages). So a 100 watt is about 18 to 20 watts. You are absolutely spot on your observation!

Edited by GauravSoni
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Im not an expert of these watts, amp and current drawn formulas.

But Im using 300W LED with my car battery for over 5-6 hours at times and it never drained my car battery.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I noticed that 300 Watts LED camping has a label on the controller: max peak output current: 12 Amps. With our formula Power equals Voltage Multiplied by Current this would mean 12x12= 144 Watts which is far off their 300 Watts they put on the box. In reality this light will be somewhere around 100 Watts and that would mean it pulls around 8.3 Amps while on. On a 70ah battery it would take around 8,5 hours to drain it.  8085AEA7-3D22-4EBB-A7C8-09287375FF56.jpeg.861b93a6f0e2cf8b3f587e85e06ed8f1.jpeg

https://www.gardenmyths.com/led-grow-lights-the-myth-about-watts/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Im not an expert of these watts, amp and current drawn formulas.

But Im using 300W LED with my car battery for over 5-6 hours at times and it never drained my car battery.

Exactly. As a lot of people are used to looking at wattage instead of lumens as a measure of lighting, the manufacturer of such lights mention a comparative figure to an incandescent or halogen light rather than the actual wattage power consumption. This sometimes makes people think that their car battery will run out.

• Like (+1) 2