•  
Advertise here

What size and type of hydraulic jack

Atif

My Prado is is around 2.5 ton and comes with a bottle type jack. Do I need to have a floor type jack and does it have to be over 2 ton rating? 
I notice that the 2 ton floor jack is advertised most frequently and is also compact compared to the 3 ton one. In addition, as I don’t intend to lift the whole car but rather a portion of it, is the 2 ton one sufficient or is it unsafe?

Await good advice!

• Like (+1) 4

As @Frederic mentioned in the desert the bottle jack is very narrow and does not give a good base, very unstable. Thus a floor jack of 2 tonnes should be sufficient. You are not going to lift the complete 2.5 tonnes at any given time. But make sure you're on as flat a surface in the desert before jacking the car and get a jack board as your base.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

On 12/5/2020 at 11:52 AM, Frederic said:

If you intend to lift the vehicle in the desert, you'll need a floor Jack, as a bottle jack is not stable enough unless you weld it on a kind of platform.

When buying a 2T floorjack go for the JZX brand available in Dragon Mart or the YATO brand from Speedex. 

You will only be lifting a portion of the car so a 2ton jack is sufficient. A 3ton is of course better and more stable but extremely heavy to take in your car and carry it around in the dunes.

The JZX 2T floor jack is out of stock, i went to DM today 🙁

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Anish S said:

You can try other similar brand as far as they look and feel sturdy and heavy enough, then 2 ton jack is fine. Stay away from the flimsy ones.

JZX jack is out of stock from sometime now, I guess due to logistics lag after covid lockdown. 

It's totally understandable. 

• Like (+1) 5

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

3 hours ago, Anish S said:

The YATO brand in speedex had the last one few days back too ! I will see if I can order it on line though these items I prefer to buy them on the spot in order to avoid inconvenience should it occur!

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 2

On 12/5/2020 at 11:09 AM, Atif said:

My Prado is is around 2.5 ton and comes with a bottle type jack. Do I need to have a floor type jack and does it have to be over 2 ton rating? 
I notice that the 2 ton floor jack is advertised most frequently and is also compact compared to the 3 ton one. In addition, as I don’t intend to lift the whole car but rather a portion of it, is the 2 ton one sufficient or is it unsafe?

Await good advice!

@Atif I will check in speedex tomorrow morning as I am free , I will notify you if I find something , same for @Anish S . 
My cell is +971554045278  please give me a msg so I can let you know if interested 

cheers

• Like (+1) 2

Try Sedana trading or have a walk around in Al quoz or Sharjah Industrial where they have the automotive tools shops.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad (0) 1

Important Information

Terms of use