•  
Advertise here

Jeep Wrangler REAR BUMPER ISSUES

Kailas

I was lucky to get a 4 months used plastic bumper from Dubizzle at a throw away price. The owner changed to metal bumpers.

I had relocated the number plate to rear tyre, and cut the excess plate holder area on the bumper to make the bottom uniform to avoid scooping of sand while descending.

Will be looking to mount a aluminum plate below bumper as @Frederic advised.

IMG_20201210_185714.thumb.jpg.e878cc130f18c865132aa4ce3da45222.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 3

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to have started "JEEP"ing (Just Empty Every Pocket) with my upgrade of Rubicon Metal Bumper. I went with the original OEM product because of the aesthetics, more than anything. Hope it lasts for sometime now. Apart from the bumper - there was a cost for replacement bracket as well. 

The parking sensors and the lights on the bumper are now gone, but they wont be missed though.

IMG_2207.JPEG

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

• 4 months later...

My rear bumper issues continued.

The plastic number plate bracket was connected with clips and it easily get dislodged from the metal bumper. The light connection got severed as well and I drove for a short while without light on the number plate.

Many times the drivers behind me helped picking up the number plate bracket. Later I started to pull it my self and keep it in the car while driving in the desert and putting it back when the drive is finished.

But knowing it is a temporary fix (jugad) I decided to get a relocation bracket (AED 487 incl. installation). Had the garage secure the remaining plastic bracket with screws, but I don’t have much hopes it will last for long.

32E570DD-6AAB-428D-8ADD-B09AFB1C0303.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

• 9 months later...

In my recent drives, I have noticed that many new Wrangler JL users have been experiencing the rear bumper breaking issues.

This thread has been focused on this issue.

Me & @Looper had replaced several rear bumpers due this issue. 

Finally I decided to put an end to this issue by relocating the rear number plate and trim the exta portion on the bumper as shown in the pictures from above post. This way there's relatively less sand scooping.

As an added protection I am also using heavy duty plastic tie cables I got from ACE (Costs only around 30 AED). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

The bumpers on short wheel based cars are more prone to breakage compared to long wheel based cars. Long wheel base cars fare better but the desert terrain is such that sometimes unexpected events happen. It was stock for him and mine too for the first 3, even the Mopar bumper number plate holder broke for me before I lift the car that’s why you see a number plate relocation bracket on my car.

My suggestion is to buy an aftermarket rear bumper if you are going for a Mopar look alike bumper. It retains the parking sensors and does not come in contact with the rear tail hook.

For front go for mopar, or ensure that the front tow hooks from the original bumper are kept if you are going for the Mopar look alike bumper.

AOR makes bumpers that look alike the Mopar bumpers. They are made of aluminium I think and are light and half the cost. 

I still haven’t gone to RTA yet in 2 years for renewal but I guess it should be okay. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Vaibhav said:

@Kailas When you broke the bumper was it stock?. I mean without lift. I have lifted the car to 2.5 inches and i have not faced the issue yet but i have heard many Jeep owners talking about it. 

Mine kept breaking both Before and after lift. But my lift is only 1.5”. I did it only to adjust the clearance for bigger 285/70R17.

it stopped only after trimming the bumper.

• Like (+1) 2

I have no lift but then rubicons are already 1" higher compared to sport and wrangler; the mighty sands devoured my rear stock bumper in the 4th or the 5th drive which prompted me to swap them for steel bumper from AOR - unlike @Looper's OEM, AOR retains the reverse parking sensors.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1