•  
Advertise here

Jeep Wrangler REAR BUMPER ISSUES

Kailas

Dear Wranglers,

Recently my Wrangler JL Sport's rear bumper got broken. I have noticed that this is a common issue and in the last couple of drives, @Goutam, @Nabil Bishara had also faced similar issue with rear bumper.

I had been to couple of garages to fix the bumper, but unfortunately the bumpers being fiber will be hard to fix. Also it is very likely that the same issue can happen again.

For stock JL/JK Sport, the issue with rear bumper is that the number plate area is placed below the bumper frame. This becomes the main contact area during dune basing. I was advised by the garages ,if you plan on using the stock fiber bumper, it would be better to cut the number plate area and mount the plate on the side.

In my case, as the bumper is already broken, I plan on replacing it with Rubicon metal bumper which will cost around 1900AED. 

Please advice if any of you had come across other solution.

Thanks,

Kailas

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Is it possible that the bumper breaks from scooping up sand during a descent ? If that is the case (like pajeros) maybe an aluminum plate underneath the bumper would help to prevent this.

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Replacing with a metal bumper might have two issues, one with RTA, and second it would add unnecessary weight to your car. 

The number plate can easily be moved around by punching new holes.

If it's the scooping issue that Fred said, then a metal sheet to support the area would suffice.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Frederic said:

Is it possible that the bumper breaks from scooping up sand during a descent ? If that is the case (like pajeros) maybe an aluminum plate underneath the bumper would help to prevent this.

@Frederic, Yes the bumper breaks from scooping up sand during decent.

2 hours ago, Srikumar said:

Replacing with a metal bumper might have two issues, one with RTA, and second it would add unnecessary weight to your car. 

The number plate can easily be moved around by punching new holes.

If it's the scooping issue that Fred said, then a metal sheet to support the area would suffice.

@Srikumar thanks, very valid points.

As mine is already broken I have to get new one, they charge around 1400 AED for new fiber bumper vs metal one which is around 1900AED. Metal one is Rubicon model and was told it doesn't have RTA issue (hopefully). 

• Like (+1) 1

This is very common issue in JL and we have seen this many times in the club. Goutam and Pancho sacrificed there in Liwa.

If metal bumper has no issue with RTA then go for that as 500 extra now is better than breaking fiber one again or modifying fiber bumper with plate beneath.

Make sure new metal bumper comes with rubber bumpstop then RTA will pass it even if its little different. 

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Jeep being the ultimate off-road vehicle and JL should still be under warranty. Have you checked with Trading Enterprise? If you report it as a desert accident close to road side you can claim it from insurance. All you need to pay is the Police fine and insurance excess.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I have broken my rear bumper 3 times already. All at Al Qudra - every single time I have driven there I came back with a broken bumper, as if Al Qudra has some grudges with my rear bumper. 

First time when it happened the service center advised it will cost me around 3k with labour as apart from the plastic bumper that cost AED 900, labour is AED 1100 and other costs. When I tried to do the police complaint for Insurance - the good police man advised me better to go to an outside garage and get it done. So ended up "fixing" which practically made it like new and costed me 450+ taxes.

2nd time I had got though proper insurance = police complaint 500+insurance charges 750+taxes and I saw the job card it was around 3900. 

Now I am on my third bumper. At official service center Rubicon Metal Bumper will cost AED 3850+ taxes. I am going with Zip Ties for now. In Liwa I replaced the zip ties 2-3 times.

But Planning on getting an off brand Metal Bumper which will cost 1979 and a new set of number plates as well I suppose as the rear one has to be the one of those short number plate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

6 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

Jeep being the ultimate off-road vehicle and JL should still be under warranty. Have you checked with Trading Enterprise? If you report it as a desert accident close to road side you can claim it from insurance. All you need to pay is the Police fine and insurance excess.

Agree with @Rahimdad bhai and this is exactly what I did in my JGC and worked perfectly , in my first drive before I switch to X

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Gaurav said:

This is very common issue in JL and we have seen this many times in the club. Goutam and Pancho sacrificed there in Liwa.

If metal bumper has no issue with RTA then go for that as 500 extra now is better than breaking fiber one again or modifying fiber bumper with plate beneath.

Make sure new metal bumper comes with rubber bumpstop then RTA will pass it even if its little different. 

Thanks @Gaurav , will check if the metal bumper comes with rubber bumpstop.

10 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

@Rahimdad, unfortunately I do not have offroad cover, thus insurance will not be coving that.

I will soon be getting an offroad insurance.

• Like (+1) 1

You can follow my method for my car. But my Pathy is an off-road vehicle only and sees hardly any time on-road. I think the longest journey it has seen this entire year was on the way to Liwa and back. But than again its a 19 year old car and I love watching people amazed as they see my little falling apart Pathy do everything. I just leave the bumpers filling apart for an entire year and close to passing time I get it fixed and passed, ready to surprise everyone for an entire year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3