•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Winter break Morning Intermediate Exploration Drive - Al Bateyh - 15 Dec 2020

Chaitanya D

22 minutes ago, Alexander Alcala said:

Please share the rescue videos with the rest of the group.  🤪

Yes sure , will do @Alexander Alcala. We did learn something and I have discussed the recovery with all seniors who have given their amazing feedback.  I will share that too so that it will help everyone to improve .

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

@Anish S, @Nivin, @Abu Muhammad, @Kailas, @Alexander Alcala

Advises given after reviewing videos many times , and discussing at length with seniors 

Critical mistakes 

1. I should not have entered that slip side seeing the fence  , but I had crossed the dune and soft sand pulled me down. Could have been better off to stop where ever I was and pull from back ( against principles but here it is an option)

2. People close to winch line, which will come like a bullet in case it fails at any point. But we were using snatch strap at two recovery points on the xterra, with very small length of winch . Risk was lesser but still people should stay away. When people are close the recovery with a winch should stop.

3. Give rest to winch when doing a prolonged recovery .

As a lead what I could do was the best of the resources I had, and the team made it happen. How everyone of you chipped in was simply amazing. 

What we improvised - thanks to everyone , which made it a successful recovery despite some flaws

1. Doubled everything - shackles, ropes and secured the winching car.

2. Use of additional car to hold the xterra when the winch rope was wound up halfway up, and on loosening it was slipping back losing the advantage gained. We used additional rope (like a tug by another car) to secure it from slipping back by tensing the tug rope.

3. Using maxtrax to get some traction on soft sand , when the xterra was few cm away from the fence.

We all, and especially me learned a lesson the difficult way , but these are what makes you better prepared for such incidents if any in future.

It was a fantastic team work on that day, and now we know we can handle it better to correct all the flaws next time around.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

53 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

@Anish S, @Nivin, @Abu Muhammad, @Kailas, @Alexander Alcala

Advises given after reviewing videos many times , and discussing at length with seniors 

Critical mistakes 

1. I should not have entered that slip side seeing the fence  , but I had crossed the dune and soft sand pulled me down. Could have been better off to stop where ever I was and pull from back ( against principles but here it is an option)

2. People close to winch line, which will come like a bullet in case it fails at any point. But we were using snatch strap at two recovery points on the xterra, with very small length of winch . Risk was lesser but still people should stay away. When people are close the recovery with a winch should stop.

3. Give rest to winch when doing a prolonged recovery .

As a lead what I could do was the best of the resources I had, and the team made it happen. How everyone of you chipped in was simply amazing. 

What we improvised - thanks to everyone , which made it a successful recovery despite some flaws

1. Doubled everything - shackles, ropes and secured the winching car.

2. Use of additional car to hold the xterra when the winch rope was wound up halfway up, and on loosening it was slipping back losing the advantage gained. We used additional rope (like a tug by another car) to secure it from slipping back by tensing the tug rope.

3. Using maxtrax to get some traction on soft sand , when the xterra was few cm away from the fence.

We all, and especially me learned a lesson the difficult way , but these are what makes you better prepared for such incidents if any in future.

It was a fantastic team work on that day, and now we know we can handle it better to correct all the flaws next time around.

Thank you Dr.Chaitanya for sharing  this work and all the points you highlighted 👍 🙏🏻 Thank you Anish, Nivin , Abu Muhammad , kailas and Alexander for the determined teamwork work spirit . Well done.

• Like (+1) 4

Dr @Chaitanya D your second point on the second set of instructions, if you cannot secure with another car, if you have some heavy equipment like a spare tire you can secure the car by sticking it behind the rear wheel to avoid slipping back. Just a thought, hope it helps.

• Like (+1) 4

One clarification.  We were using a towing strap (not kinetic) to extend the reach of the winch. Also my jeep was anchored using the tree protection strap (not kinetic). The winch is a Warn 12.000 with synthetic rope. Therefore the break risk was minor.
Next time I would use a snatch block to double the winch power to 24,000 lbs; use the blanket to put some weight on the winch line and; secure the connections with additional soft shackles. 

But in general, I am very happy with results and the team spirit that we put in the rescue operation. It was a great learning opportunity for all of us. 

Edited by Alexander Alcala
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use