•  

Winch & Ground Anchor

Aus Alzubaidi

16 minutes ago, Ahab Shamaa said:

Hey guys, this is my humble take in this, as a winch owner 😀
@Aus Alzubaidi, @Mohamed Seidam, @Frederic, @Gaurav, @Alexander AlcalaIf you are in the unfortunate situation of being stuck alone with no anchoring points, you can get still yourself out with a good winch and a ground anchor, no matter how soft the sand is.
The Deadman soft anchor is a good option in that it’s light, and saves space. The spare tire is a good option also, if you have no dedicated anchor. I’ve seen people try to anchor their winches with HiIift Jacks, Maxxtrax, etc.; basically, anything they can burry under the sand to use as an anchor.

Needless to say, all those options are very labor intensive and you’d be digging for a while (especially if you’re really dug in). Probably the same time it’ll take you to dig yourself out with a good shovel and left-right maneuvers 😀

There is a type of anchor that might be more suited for sand however, and that seems to require less work (there are many brands of this type of anchor, RedRock ARB or AnchorRight for example). This type of anchor is ideal for the desert self recovery using a winch. These types of anchors have come a long way in terms of weight and compactness.

I hope this helps!

1D85CA55-1B46-47BD-8255-7DBA709A046F.jpeg

3936F869-8382-4C30-815E-BE4A79058BBF.jpeg

I’ve seen these things being advertised but like mentioned what if you are crested on a dune ? As far as I’ve seen on the YouTube videos the anchor only works fine if you are doing a horizontal pull. In the case of being crested you’d be pulling on a sharp upwards angle and it would come straight out of the sand. On top of that all the YouTube footage I’ve seen were people stuck on places where I felt some shoveling and blip blip technique could have gotten them out easily.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thank you @Ahab Shamaa it’s good to know about this type of soft terrain or sand dedicated anchor which could be useful for solo use despite its massive dimension. ( I am not saying that I am a lone desert wanderer 😄 fan ) 

however as @Frederic said and agree that you are governed by the situation and cresting ( my favorite stuck situation ) the proper shoveling and controlled gas is all what you need.

and for this 👇

39 minutes ago, Ahab Shamaa said:

I’ve seen people try to anchor their winches with HiIift Jacks, Maxxtrax, etc.;

The hilift jack can be used even as a winch as well and anchor in same time ( not for sand terrain obviously , mountain maybe yes ) 

see you on Saturday inshallah 😉

cheers 🚙👍

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 2

Very true; sometimes though, the difference of being stuck and unstuck is a matter of a few centimeters forward or backwards :) I’m definitely saying it’s not ideal, especially in cresting situations, however, IMHO, it can be done.  Bottom line is, if you’re gonna be stuck alone, it’s a good thing to have a positive attitude, and as many gadgets as possible to get yourself out. A combination of many tools and techniques might be your salvation...

Edited by Ahab Shamaa
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

It’s not wrong to have most of the offroad  toys especially when solo ( not recommended being solo ) but what really matters is when to use and when not to use as in a particular situation one toy can be useful where in other might be afraid to say deadly! 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Mohamed Seidam said:

Thank you @Ahab Shamaa it’s good to know about this type of soft terrain or sand dedicated anchor which could be useful for solo use despite its massive dimension. ( I am not saying that I am a lone desert wanderer 😄 fan ) 

however as @Frederic said and agree that you are governed by the situation and cresting ( my favorite stuck situation ) the proper shoveling and controlled gas is all what you need.

and for this 👇

The hilift jack can be used even as a winch as well and anchor in same time ( not for sand terrain obviously , mountain maybe yes ) 

see you on Saturday inshallah 😉

cheers 🚙👍

@Mohamed Seidam, you’re a doctor, you can always get yourself unstuck 🤣

Now, for some healthy competition, we should count and see who takes the cup for crestings. I thought I was the absolute champ in that field, until your revelation, which got me thinking that I might have challengers out there 😜

• Haha (+1) 3

@Ahab Shamaa  trust bro being a doc is the only situation where I can’t unstuck 😁

Lets see on sat FJ vs X  two beasts driven by passionate drivers what can they do 👌

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

20 minutes ago, Mohamed Seidam said:

@Ahab Shamaa  trust bro being a doc is the only situation where I can’t unstuck 😁

Lets see on sat FJ vs X  two beasts driven by passionate drivers what can they do 👌

Oh wow! What an idiot I am @Mohamed Seidam, I hadn’t realized that we’re gonna finally be meeting in person, until I read your messge 😀

That’s fantastic bro; looking forward to it and looking forward to showing you my awesome cresting skills!

I tell you, even as an absolute newbie, I’ve been able to get myself crested on my own; absolutely no help from anyone. Now imagine what I’ll be able to do as a Fewbie; I’m gonna destroy the competition! 🤣

See ya soon ISA!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Ahab Shamaa said:

Oh wow! What an idiot I am @Mohamed Seidam, I hadn’t realized that we’re gonna finally be meeting in person, until I read your messge 😀

That’s fantastic bro; looking forward to it and looking forward to showing you my awesome cresting skills!

I tell you, even as an absolute newbie, I’ve been able to get myself crested on my own; absolutely no help from anyone. Now imagine what I’ll be able to do as a Fewbie; I’m gonna destroy the competition! 🤣

See ya soon ISA!

And It will be my absolute pleasure to learn from you bro , bet on it @Ahab Shamaa 👍

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I have the Deadman (still unused).  So far (for me), the easier and most common way to get unstuck is being pulled gently by another car with a kinetic rope or a snatch strap.

I wouldn't use the high-lift as an anchor point, because you can bend it, rendering it useless for its original purpose. 

I would avoid going offroad alone as much as possible.

Edited by Alexander Alcala
Add content
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of use