•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - BOXING DAY Sand to Mountain - RAK - 26 Dec 2020

Ale Vallecchi

Dear Desertnauts,

A few words about this exploration drive planned for next Saturday.

The idea to develop a "Sea to Mountain" route came to me after driving the first portion of this itinerary (before joining Carnity). That drive seemed nice at the time, and indeed it still is extremely interesting, even though the vegetation in the area has exploded since more than 1 year ago, changing the look and feel of the area. That first route was then tested in October. In two different drives, we managed to go from the seaside (next to Barracuda Resort) to almost E611 (even though the access has been sealed off since 2019, and we had to exit back on E311), then from an entry point close to the Ritz-Carlton Desert Resort all the way south to Al Ghail Indutrial Area, just at the foothills of the Ajari Mountains.

Hence, the second leg of the "Sea to Mountain" route, which we'll cover on Saturday, has been renamed "Sand to Mountain". The area we wish to explore is relatively large, and is criss-crossed by several tracks, leading in and out of it, connecting several farms with the major tarmac roads surrounding it.

After the first two drives, with Intermediates and Fewbies, we have chosen to open the drive to Newbie drivers as well. This is to give all of you the opportunity to experience the double-edged sword of an "absolute first" drive, where the excitement of the exploration may be balanced by the challenge of driving in an unusual surrounding, completely different than our customary, purely sand based, stomping grounds.

Free ranging camels, wild donkeys, longitudinal (Seif) dunes that suck your car down into their molasses-like sand, and, most amazingly, wide open plain areas with the look and feel of a savannah. This are some of the amazing situations and sights we will find and see during this exploration drive. The off-roading skills that will be tested are, in particular, finesse and control driving, hoping that at the end of the drive each of you should have gained a little more experience and knowledge about themselves, their relationship with their car, and the nature in which we'll be driving.

@Alphin Aloor, @Federico De Chirico, @Mike Kraher, @Saneesh Thomas, @Niki Patel, @Shehab Alawadhi, @Arman, @Baskaran P.R, @Federico Galbieri, @Harold Roberts, @frederic demolder and @Ben84, I look forward to seeing you on Saturday, AT 7:00 AM.

Have a nice week.

• Like (+1) 5
  • WOW (+2) 4

3 minutes ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Dear Desertnauts,

The idea to develop a "Sea to Mountain" route came to me after driving the first portion of this itinerary (before joining Carnity). That drive seemed nice at the time, and indeed it still is extremely interesting, even though the vegetation in the area has exploded since more than 1 year ago, changing the look and feel of the area. That first route was then tested in October. In two different drives, we managed to go from the seaside (next to Barracuda Resort) to almost E611 (even though the access has been sealed off since 2019, and we had to exit back on E311), then from an entry point close to the Ritz-Carlton Desert Resort all the way south to Al Ghail Indutrial Area, just at the foothills of the Ajari Mountains.

Hence, the second leg of the "Sea to Mountain" route, which we'll cover on Saturday, has been renamed "Sand to Mountain". The area we wish to explore is relatively large, and is criss-crossed by several tracks, leading in and out of it, connecting several farms with the major tarmac roads surrounding it.

After the first two drives, with Intermediates and Fewbies, we have chosen to open the drive to Newbie drivers as well. This is to give all of you the opportunity to experience the double-edged sword of an "absolute first" drive, where the excitement of the exploration may be balanced by the challenge of driving in an unusual surrounding, completely different than our customary, purely sand based, stomping grounds.

Free ranging camels, wild donkeys, longitudinal (Seif) dunes that suck your car down into their molasses-like sand, and, most amazingly, wide open plain areas with the look and feel of a savannah. This are some of the amazing situations and sights we will find and see during this exploration drive. The off-roading skills that will be tested are, in particular, finesse and control driving, hoping that at the end of the drive each of you should have gained a little more experience and knowledge about themselves, their relationship with their car, and the nature in which we'll be driving.

@Alphin Aloor, @Federico De Chirico, @Mike Kraher, @Saneesh Thomas, @Niki Patel, @Shehab Alawadhi, @Arman, @Baskaran P.R, @Federico Galbieri, @Harold Roberts, @frederic demolder and @Ben84, I look forward to seeing you on Saturday, AT 7:00 AM.

Have a nice week.

Cant wait, good thing I bought a stand for my phone to record the while drive in time-lapse mode. also the time was changed again to 7:00AM? didn't it originally say "7:00 AM (SHARP-Without any exceptions) - PLEASE NOTE: Meeting time is 30 MIN. LATER than usual"

just to confirm its now 7AM (so there is no confusion) 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shehab Alawadhi said:

Cant wait, good thing I bought a stand for my phone to record the while drive in time-lapse mode. also the time was changed again to 7:00AM? didn't it originally say "7:00 AM (SHARP-Without any exceptions) - PLEASE NOTE: Meeting time is 30 MIN. LATER than usual"

just to confirm its now 7AM (so there is no confusion) 

Yes @Shehab Alawadhi the meeting time will be 7:00 AM, as what I meant by "later than usual" is 30 minutes later than all other Carnity drives so far, which are starting at 6:30AM. So please, all drivers, plan to be at the meeting point no later than 7:00AM. Thanks a lot. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Yes @Shehab Alawadhi the meeting time will be 7:00 AM, as what I meant by "later than usual" is 30 minutes later than all other Carnity drives so far, which are starting at 6:30AM. So please, all drivers, plan to be at the meeting point no later than 7:00AM. Thanks a lot. 

alright sweet, no problem. Thank you! see you there @Ale Vallecchi

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Dear Desertnauts,

Have a nice week.

There are so many people interested in this drive that we could think on a extra convoy if possible and make it more often (sure that for me here in RAK will also be much closer) I'd love to have more drives and explorer more RAK/UAQ , so many nice places... take the hint @Gaurav.... 😜

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, DANIEL NOGUEIRA said:

There are so many people interested in this drive that we could think on a extra convoy if possible and make it more often (sure that for me here in RAK will also be much closer) I'd love to have more drives and explorer more RAK/UAQ , so many nice places... take the hint @Gaurav.... 😜

We have been working on that @DANIEL NOGUEIRA. At the moment we have 3 routes in the area (on sand). We'll continue working on expanding our trips' locations, but we need to do it cautiously, going first for recce drives, then in with Intermediates, and finally involve all levels,  when we'll be sure the routes are safe for all. More to come. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

4 hours ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Dear Desertnauts,

Saturday, AT 7:00 AM.

Have a nice week.

My excitement levels are at their peak!!! The previous moniker of sea to mountain implies that we might pass over a salt plain or sand with salt water in the area? just checking since i hadn't planned on cleaning the underside of my car this week but that might change if we're to encounter and of that dreaded Sodium Chloride. 

Additionally, since we're entering a more mountainous areas would we not need over-landing gear such as highlift jacks and winches and maybe even diff lockers to get over slippery bits? or will we do fine without those in this instance? 7am confirmed! 

Dear @DANIEL NOGUEIRA

Do you by any chance own a gym?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Arman said:

My excitement levels are at their peak!!! The previous moniker of sea to mountain implies that we might pass over a salt plain or sand with salt water in the area? just checking since i hadn't planned on cleaning the underside of my car this week but that might change if we're to encounter and of that dreaded Sodium Chloride. 

Additionally, since we're entering a more mountainous areas would we not need over-landing gear such as highlift jacks and winches and maybe even diff lockers to get over slippery bits? or will we do fine without those in this instance? 7am confirmed! 

Dear @DANIEL NOGUEIRA

Do you by any chance own a gym?

Hello @Arman. Thanks for raising your points. We will not need any particular gear. This an area with mostly sand, and virtually no rocks, as we'll exit just before reaching the line where sands subsides and the mountains rise. No mountain related equipment will be necessary. Furthermore, there may be some small flat pans with some residues of dried crust, but they should be mostly dry and dusty. Cannot guarantee that your underside will remain clean, but certainly it will not be encrusted. See you on Saturday. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 12/20/2020 at 7:11 PM, Ranjan Das said:

Hi Ale, this would be my second drive of the weekend; please add me to the waitlist. thanks

Hi Ale, looks like my Jeep needs more work and won't be ready by the boxing day. Kindly remove me from the waiting list.

Wish you all a wonderful drive, Mary Christmas and a happy new year!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 1

On 12/20/2020 at 1:42 PM, Ale Vallecchi said:

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and strictly follow these guidelines in order not to jeopardize someone's health, and to ensure we can keep organizing these drives safely.

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: COVID19 Precautions

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: BAN POST

Two Way Radio Guidelines

• Every Off-roader brings his own radio, programmed to the frequencies described in below advice topic.
  • We will not share spare radios or program your radio on the drive. If you need assistance in programming the radio, post a topic on the Carnity website with your questions and we will help you out. 
  • Make sure your radio is fully charged. It will be your only way of communication while driving.
  • Before buying, please carefully read below advice so you are informed properly on which model / cost / shops...
  • No radio = No drive. It is an essential tool and you should make sure you bring it on every drive and learn/practice how to use it.

Drive Details

Level:  Newbie and above

When:  26 December, Saturday

Meeting time: 7:00 AM (SHARP-Without any exceptions) - PLEASE NOTE: Meeting time is 30 MIN. LATER than usual

Action Plan: IMPORTANT NOTICE - This is a drive in an area mostly travelled by locals, in rather technical terrain. The pace may be slow, and the skills required will include finesse and control, due to the need to pick the right path through an environment with abundant vegetation (shrubs first, then trees), with sporadic animal farms, sets of soft sand dunes with little room to maneuver, and open sabkhas. This drive will test the complete set of off-roading skills, providing a good opportunity to make you a more complete desert driver.

Meeting Point: https://goo.gl/maps/UsVoyEaC9YdZdJbG8

IMPORTANT: Recently there has been road works and a diversion after turning from E311 toward E611. Please come using E311, and follow the signs to the Ritz Carlton Desert Resort.

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 11:00 AM

THIS IS A COMPRESSOR ONLY DRIVE. WE WILL END THE DRIVE AT A POINT WHICH IS NOT CLOSE TO AN AIR LINE. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A COMPRESSOR, PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS DRIVE. IF YOU ARRIVE AND HAVE NO COMPRESSOR YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO JOIN THE DRIVE. 

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE:

• Limited to 10 Newbies and above drivers. RSVP will close on Thursday - 9 AM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list. 
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE BELOW CALENDAR 

Dear Ale,

Please add me to the waitlist. 

Regards

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use