•  
Advertise here

Diff lock and Traction control combination in a Prado

Atif

While viewing videos on Prado Diff-lock usage and during the subsequent discussion on Carnity forum, I came across a good video about the way traction control helps in off-road conditions and this may apply to all FJs , LCs and possibly other 4x4s. It appears that the TRC will activate even if kept Off in certain circumstances.

https://youtu.be/XpY_QDM8Fqc

• Like (+1) 3

Different surfaces have different effect on the many gadgets available to us in our modern cars. Remember all the people I have repeated told today's cars are learning from you as much as you are learning to drive them. We at Carnity encourage all makes and models and encourage you to try out different exercises in your cars to see what a difference each thing can make in different situations. That is why getting a refusal or a stuck means that it is learning opportunities for all of us. The video does give you a good idea, but on solid ground with cross wheels in the air, plus I am not even sure if he is keeping that TC button pressed for 10 seconds to completely switch of the TC, thus he finds out that TC is not completely off. It is only when you learn and let your car and your persistence surprise you that you can help newer member to learn and grow within this environment. I love this community and all the members who strive to learn and share, a recent trend that has really touched me is the sharing of information for specific type of vehicles which will be documented and stored in an organized manner which will help the newer members around.

Thank you @Atif bhai for sharing this interesting video, maybe someday we can go out to the sands and make our own video by trying out the certain options available in your car. It will be so much more helpful for the conditions we drive in.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

16 hours ago, Atif said:

While viewing videos on Prado Diff-lock usage and during the subsequent discussion on Carnity forum, I came across a good video about the way traction control helps in off-road conditions and this may apply to all FJs , LCs and possibly other 4x4s. It appears that the TRC will activate even if kept Off in certain circumstances.

https://youtu.be/XpY_QDM8Fqc

Hi

Good video, as I have also been wondering a bit, when to use central diff lock and when not. 

I am typically driving without TRC and VSC systems, so they are off. Should I always use center diff lock on, when we are driving on sand ? Or is lock only switched on, when got stuck, etc ?

Share your comments, please...

• Like (+1) 2

@Tero Vallas I believe Prado is an All Wheel drive all the time, so on the road to give you the traction when starting off it would be 4WD and at around 40 KPH it would switch to RWD to save you on fuel economy. However in the desert we have very few times when we can go above 40 KPH so it will keep you engaged in 4WD. You will only press the difflock button when stuck and advised to do so preferably in 4 Low. Just remember t keep your traction control button pressed until you see 2 yellow lights come on and enjoy driving, together we will learn ad put in much more reliable content  together on the Prado to help future owners.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2020 at 12:17 PM, Rahimdad said:

Thank you @Atif bhai for sharing this interesting video, maybe someday we can go out to the sands and make our own video by trying out the certain options available in your car. It will be so much more helpful for the conditions we drive in.

The more I read and watch videos the more keen I am to try the different options of traction control and central diff lock in a ‘stuck’ situation. 
As Prado 2014, surprisingly doesn’t have a rear or front diff lock ( at least in my Prado’s model and year) I wonder if Traction Control activation helps to direct torque to the correct wheels ? Currently I switch off TRC as soon we start an off-road drive so next time I will take up your offer @Rahimdad bhai to try the various combinations of TRC and Central diff lock to get to the bottom of this.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, Tero Vallas said:

Hi

Good video, as I have also been wondering a bit, when to use central diff lock and when not. 

I am typically driving without TRC and VSC systems, so they are off. Should I always use center diff lock on, when we are driving on sand ? Or is lock only switched on, when got stuck, etc ?

Share your comments, please...

I also do not use TRC while driving in the sand . As per my observation It’s just one of the features given in the car for a better and smoother drive. I myself have so many times not even bothered switching it on. I have also used the diff lock just for recoveries. Usually  I always drive on D, with the occasional use of the trip tonic to climb up. 

• Like (+1) 3