•  

Two cross wheels in the air - No diff lock - No problem - desert people solution

Hassan Almousa

Although driving alone in the desert could be the biggest mistake in life ....... What would a person spending most of his time living in the desert do if his car is stuck with two cross wheels in the air without a differential locker !!!! 

I came across this video on YouTube where desert people explain their creative solution to this .

To our marshals and expert drivers  ........ what is your opinion ? It would be great if this can be tested .

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 2

I remember seeing this video before, and was thinking about how creative these guys are. These tricks would of course only be applicable in solo desert driving, where self reliance and improvising skills will be a part of the game.

On the other hand, what they call a "triangular" is quite rare, in comparison with a straight crest (where these tricks would have zero effect). 

And also depends on the type of vehicle. I will tag @Melenany in here so next time with this superlong F150 he is getting crested we can try this 😅

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

4 hours ago, Frederic said:

I remember seeing this video before, and was thinking about how creative these guys are. These tricks would of course only be applicable in solo desert driving, where self reliance and improvising skills will be a part of the game.

On the other hand, what they call a "triangular" is quite rare, in comparison with a straight crest (where these tricks would have zero effect). 

And also depends on the type of vehicle. I will tag @Melenany in here so next time with this superlong F150 he is getting crested we can try this 😅

Hahaha... I Will try it as well....

• Like (+1) 1

@Hassan Almousa thank you for sharing the video. I get the logic behind their thinking, with cross tires in the air those are the ones spinning. By jamming the rear free tire more power goes to the wheels which are stuck close to how a difflock is supposed to work. However the vehicle for one is the old box shaped Nissan Patrol which is solid as compared to our newer rides with crumple zones, if you are tying it to your recovery point and with excessive force will you end up damaging your own vehicle? Another point is when he gets himself stuck, he is front heavy and trying to reverse it out which would never happen and only dig a hole, he never once tried showing what would happen if he drove forward. After applying his rope trick and after some digging in from the car would have recovered anyways. So I will not beleive that 100%. As the second time around when he did it to pop his tire back in he made it rear heavy and drove in front to dig a hole to stable his vehicle. Once done he used the air compressor to pop the tire back in and drove out back in reverse from a similar position as the first one with a deep hole and oil coming out of the hole without applying the method for the rope trick.

I think with the age of internet, videos and viral social media there are people who show some good authentic stuff and some people who just try to ride the band wagon with their own videos. Sure we can try this stuff out with your vehicle, so have your tow strap, a tie down cable, a rated shackle, solid tow points and a disclaimer to say you are responsible for any damages caused to your vehicle and equipment in case of anything goes wrong. Oh yes, I forgot to add someone to take a video so you could start your own youtube channel.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

From the saying of “ don’t believe all what you hear nor half what you see “ I partially agree with @Rahimdad bhai regarding the analysis to the clip above. and personally I wouldn’t try anything like that to my lovely X unless in despair and have nothing to loose other than my life 😅 . On the other hand i would admire those who understand their own machines and how things may work and try apply such tricks that may help when in the middle of no where. 
last but not least I thank God that we have ppl in @Carnity that I consider them legends and icons to this car community.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for the video @Mohamed Seidam. Just wandering if, in the time it took to tie the rope around the tire and secure it to the car, some good old shoveling would have also done the trick. After all it was a short wheel base car, and on the first stuck, with a front-heavy position, digging a V under the front may have freed the chassis enough for the car to self recover, just as quickly. 

Then, of course, each driver grows up in different off-roading cultures, and I've found that what is drilled into you is what you end up resorting to, all the time. I have driven once with an acquaintance who had been taught in his club to winch cars out, and who had never used a kinetick tow rope!! Yet winching suited him just fine. So, while I may prefer shovelling (always my first resort) it's good to see these videos, from different off-roaders, to learn thinking outside our box, and learn new tricks. Now, I would still prefer shovelling, but will keep this in mind, in the need arises. Thanks!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

8 minutes ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Thanks for the video @Mohamed Seidam. Just wandering if, in the time it took to tie the rope around the tire and secure it to the car, some good old shoveling would have also done the trick. After all it was a short wheel base car, and on the first stuck, with a front-heavy position, digging a V under the front may have freed the chassis enough for the car to self recover, just as quickly. 

Then, of course, each driver grows up in different off-roading cultures, and I've found that what is drilled into you is what you end up resorting to, all the time. I have driven once with an acquaintance who had been taught in his club to winch cars out, and who had never used a kinetick tow rope!! Yet winching suited him just fine. So, while I may prefer shovelling (always my first resort) it's good to see these videos, from different off-roaders, to learn thinking outside our box, and learn new tricks. Now, I would still prefer shovelling, but will keep this in mind, in the need arises. Thanks!!

Just to clarify  - since they were speaking in Arabic in the video - the guy mentioned that this was instructional video meant to teach the technique.

I always find it interesting to learn the "Bedouin" ways of dealing with situations in the desert .

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Thanks @Ale Vallecchi 

BTW the video was pasted by @Hassan Almousa 😉

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use