•  

Introduce yourself !

Frederic

2 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

@Pranjal Varsani thanks for your comments. I'm not a professional photographer. I only have some equipment and play with them as a hobby whenever I get time. In @Frederic's picture I think his whole idea was to take the SUV with the background and foreground properly exposed which is impossible as there is bright sunlight and dark shadows. In evaluative metering mode the camera assess the entire scene and fixes the shutter speed which it thinks its correct for a proper exposure. If any other metering mode like spot metering or center weighted average with the focus on the SUV the camera adjusts the shutter speed as per the reflected light from the car and then the back ground gets blown out and we cannot recover the details whatever we do. Shutter priority is not the option here as its not an action shot but rather a stationary car. My thoughts are he wanted to picturize the car along with the surroundings and all the other settings are correct including evaluative meter mode. Unfortunately this is the best we can get in this circumstance and all the adjustments has to be done in a photo processing software to balance the light and colors. 

As mentioned earlier I'm not into professional photography and I just shared my thoughts and experiences with the entry level cameras and lenses I have. DSLR and in that matter all photographic equipments have limitations and you can only work around them to match our amazing eyes God gave us to an extent. 

@Thomas Varghese appreciate your insight and you are 100% correct in your comments. It all comes down to what the goal is of the shot I guess. I recommended a locked shutter speed of 1/500 to capture the sharpest action shot. Anything less than this, then a moving object will be blurry. 

I am a professional photographer albeit for product and commercial photography and I am always learning. 

Looks like you have really great knowledge 👍

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Just now, Frederic said:

Actually the car was approaching a hill at about 25km/h so it was a bit of an action shot that needed burst mode as well.

I noticed it now that sand has been flying from the back tires but the shutter speed the camera selected didn't create any motion blur. If that was the effect you wanted you should have gone to shutter priority and reduced the shutter speed to 1/ 30 or less. 

2 minutes ago, Pranjal Varsani said:

@Thomas Varghese appreciate your insight and you are 100% correct in your comments. It all comes down to what the goal is of the shot I guess. I recommended a locked shutter speed of 1/500 to capture the sharpest action shot. Anything less than this, then a moving object will be blurry. 

I am a professional photographer albeit for product and commercial photography and I am always learning. 

Looks like you have really great knowledge 👍

@Pranjal Varsani very lucky to have met you in Carnity and God willing learn much more about photography from you. @Frederic didn't specify what was the goal of the shot. I only saw the blue over cast on the SUV and the back ground and foreground. I thought he was commenting about overall exposure. 

• Like (+1) 1

True! 

Below you can find some rough guideline for the shutter speed selection. 

I would agree that you need to have around 1/500s shutter in our conditions because the subject moves quickly.

Feel free to raise the ISO to 800 or even more, the difference will not be that huge. Also you can adjust the aperture to f/5.6 or so without worries.

Also, Lightroom or similar software will help a lot in RAW editing. RAW files are designed to be edited and not be used straight from the camera.

minimumShutterSpeedsForMaximumSharpnessInfographic-1.png.75fe05be19c6f38e7b2c5e652846ac9b.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I also realized that in my case the subject was coming closer to me, so burst mode was not helping me as the camera was set to single focus instead of continuous focus mode.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

There’s a lot of tutorials on YouTube about this topic, and this one was pretty straight forward about the subject:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 minute ago, Frederic said:

There’s a lot of tutorials on YouTube about this topic, and this one was pretty straight forward about the subject:

I also learned some photography by watching you tube videos only and experimenting the same with my camera. 😅😅

• Like (+1) 2

Yesterday we went to Hatta for some hiking and at the end of the day we spent an hour or so taking some photos at the Hatta lakes.

I just thought that if somebody in the Carnity is interested in the astrophotography, I can give a couple of advices and we can practice together somewhere. I'm not a pro by any means, but it might be useful for a complete photo newbies 😃

DSC_0078_sm.jpg

DSC_1826_sm.jpg

• WOW (+2) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 3

2 minutes ago, Mikhail Lukichev said:

Yesterday we went to Hatta for some hiking and at the end of the day we spent an hour or so taking some photos at the Hatta lakes.

I just thought that if somebody in the Carnity is interested in the astrophotography, I can give a couple of advices and we can practice together somewhere. I'm not a pro by any means, but it might be useful for a complete photo newbies 😃

DSC_0078_sm.jpg

DSC_1826_sm.jpg

Wow nice pics

3 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

Wow nice pics

Did u use any polarizing filters for the reflection in the water? How did u cut out the haze in the atmosphere?

• Like (+1) 1

@Mikhail Lukichev these are stunning pictures and I would very much like to learn and join you as a beginner!  I have a very old beginners DSLR and only a few lenses (I’ll share details a little later).  Hopeful it’s enough to learn with and take some stunning shots like above!  Let’s see who else would be interested and we can hopefully plan something as a small group :) 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Niki Patel said:

@Mikhail Lukichev these are stunning pictures and I would very much like to learn and join you as a beginner!  I have a very old beginners DSLR and only a few lenses (I’ll share details a little later).  Hopeful it’s enough to learn with and take some stunning shots like above!  Let’s see who else would be interested and we can hopefully plan something as a small group :) 

@Niki Patel its not the equipment which matters. Its the man who operates the equipment who is the master controlling the equipment. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use