•  

Introduce yourself !

Frederic

6 hours ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Hi there,

The opportunity to roam around and record moments in photos is wonderful.  I use two cameras, a Nikon D850 (two lenses a 24-70mm f2.8G and a 70-300mm VR f/4-5.6G) and a Fuji X100T (fixed lens and perfect for street and travel photography).

If there is an opportunity to meet for a photography drive count me in!

Best regards to all!

_DSF3770_bw.jpg

_85D7427.jpg

_85D7383.jpg

Nice clicks ! Did you take the night shot at 24mm 2.8 ?

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Mario Cornejo nice photos! Love your colors!

It is tempting to bump the saturation and clarity on the post but you nailed it! Colors are very natural and clear!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

As I don’t have a wide angle lens with fast aperture in my bag (yet), I’ll give it a try with the IPhone 12 Pro Max. The Night mode in combination with the wide angle lens is apparently quite impressive but I need to do some testing.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Frederic you mentioned you have the iPhone 12 (as do i) - its a superb camera and the videos with HDR are a dream (for novices like me anyhow).  Do you (and the others on this thread)  feel the option of the Apple Pro Raw will bring a significant benefit vs the 25MB per pic tax? 

PS i am in awe of the purists that started this thread ( @Ale Vallecchi @Frederic @sertac) and the pro's and enthusiats (too many to name/remember), film has such a charm!  i like other on this thread am an hobbyist/enthusiast photographers, with myself cancelling an upgrade to a full frame due to the lock down (didn't feel i would get much use of it back in Feb/March last year) and the savings was redirected to my new hobby with me buying my offroad car instead!  NOW this thread popped up and i have the itch to start again. 

With the quality of modern phones, i went back to old habits of 'pointing and shooting' (trigger happy) however which a recent drive, reading the earlier comments here and seeing some of the stunning shots - i started to go back to the basics and focus on composition and framing!  it is amazing how much of difference it made to think like a film photographer and consider each shot before triggering!  Thank you all for bringing back this care!

my kit (very old and ready for an upgrade):

• Sony RX100 2012 model (bought with the birth of my son and to get better pics with a pocket friendly (size not price sadly) 
  • Nikon 3300
    • kit lenses 18-55 + 55-200
    • 50mm Prime Lens 

I received advice to quickly buy a prime lens (affordable also) and use your feet to zoom, frame and focus on the composition.  The lens was a 1.8 so decent speed allowed for my first true bokeh experience and i loved it... best lens to learn on and was what got me hooked.  

what made me pause this hobby: a combination of covid lock downs AND the realization that the 'art' in photography was far more critical for a stunning shot than always the tech (my wife just always had a better eye for an angle, composition, etc...)  i accepted that i am not a natural photographer BUT after this thread have decided i want back in and to at the least, keep learning.  i LOVE astro so am keen to learn there... i am terrible at sports/motion photography so keen to learn there and i love landscapes more than portraits so want to continue my journey learning. 

@Thomas Varghese - your comment earlier hit a real nerve (in a positive sense).  too often i took photos and was keen to see others reaction, often sad when they critiqued or didn't share the joy i had... your point about the pictures are for myself/personal has me snapping out of this need for 'validation/assurance/etc'-  THANK YOU. 

i do plan to spend on a dedicated camera and upgrade the Nikon however am not in a rush ( @Gaurav saved me a small fortune by having me delay the upgrade to suspension and i am fighting myself not to throw that at a camera and lenses...) 

i look forward to the photography themed drives in the near future and please do keep these discussions/forums active - i would love to hear more from the 'film' photographers and the pro's on their tips for composition ... i tried to apply the rule of thirds, foreground interest, lines to follow and filling the frame in my last drive - keen to hear some pro tips!  The care per each picture is something that doesn't come natural so am trying to create it as a habit. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

As I don’t have a wide angle lens with fast aperture in my bag (yet), I’ll give it a try with the IPhone 12 Pro Max. The Night mode in combination with the wide angle lens is apparently quite impressive but I need to do some testing.

I have a sigma 10 - 20 mm with the wide angle 10mm at f stop at 1/4 & 1/5.6 at 20mm for canon mount. I can loan it if you want it for sometime. Its the only lens I bought extra as it helps me to capture my office shots even though with some distortion. All other lenses I have is the kit lens which came with the cameras I bought. 

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Niki Patel said:

@Frederic you mentioned you have the iPhone 12 (as do i) - its a superb camera and the videos with HDR are a dream (for novices like me anyhow).  Do you (and the others on this thread)  feel the option of the Apple Pro Raw will bring a significant benefit vs the 25MB per pic tax? 

PS i am in awe of the purists that started this thread ( @Ale Vallecchi @Frederic @sertac) and the pro's and enthusiats (too many to name/remember), film has such a charm!  i like other on this thread am an hobbyist/enthusiast photographers, with myself cancelling an upgrade to a full frame due to the lock down (didn't feel i would get much use of it back in Feb/March last year) and the savings was redirected to my new hobby with me buying my offroad car instead!  NOW this thread popped up and i have the itch to start again. 

With the quality of modern phones, i went back to old habits of 'pointing and shooting' (trigger happy) however which a recent drive, reading the earlier comments here and seeing some of the stunning shots - i started to go back to the basics and focus on composition and framing!  it is amazing how much of difference it made to think like a film photographer and consider each shot before triggering!  Thank you all for bringing back this care!

my kit (very old and ready for an upgrade):

• Sony RX100 2012 model (bought with the birth of my son and to get better pics with a pocket friendly (size not price sadly) 
  • Nikon 3300
    • kit lenses 18-55 + 55-200
    • 50mm Prime Lens 

I received advice to quickly buy a prime lens (affordable also) and use your feet to zoom, frame and focus on the composition.  The lens was a 1.8 so decent speed allowed for my first true bokeh experience and i loved it... best lens to learn on and was what got me hooked.  

what made me pause this hobby: a combination of covid lock downs AND the realization that the 'art' in photography was far more critical for a stunning shot than always the tech (my wife just always had a better eye for an angle, composition, etc...)  i accepted that i am not a natural photographer BUT after this thread have decided i want back in and to at the least, keep learning.  i LOVE astro so am keen to learn there... i am terrible at sports/motion photography so keen to learn there and i love landscapes more than portraits so want to continue my journey learning. 

@Thomas Varghese - your comment earlier hit a real nerve (in a positive sense).  too often i took photos and was keen to see others reaction, often sad when they critiqued or didn't share the joy i had... your point about the pictures are for myself/personal has me snapping out of this need for 'validation/assurance/etc'-  THANK YOU. 

i do plan to spend on a dedicated camera and upgrade the Nikon however am not in a rush ( @Gaurav saved me a small fortune by having me delay the upgrade to suspension and i am fighting myself not to throw that at a camera and lenses...) 

i look forward to the photography themed drives in the near future and please do keep these discussions/forums active - i would love to hear more from the 'film' photographers and the pro's on their tips for composition ... i tried to apply the rule of thirds, foreground interest, lines to follow and filling the frame in my last drive - keen to hear some pro tips!  The care per each picture is something that doesn't come natural so am trying to create it as a habit. 

@Niki Patel my objective is not to become a professional photographer and sell the pictures I capture but shoot something I like. I went through your gear description and why are you sad that you don't have the latest equipment. To tell you the truth this gear you have is more than enough to shoot what you like. The Nikon you have is the same as my Canon 700D and I have the same lenses. More than enough to shoot family pictures or some landscapes. 

Please understand you are shooting pictures to capture the essence of moments and any upgrade you do will not improve your pictures or your skills as a photographer unless you yourself start to like the pictures you shoot. Upgrading the gear is just like saying I cannot be a better painter if I don't have this and that brush and colors. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use