•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Fossil Rock - Sharjah - 8 Jan 2021

Rahimdad

DRIVE RSVP IS NOW CLOSED

Convoy numbering:

1. Brette - JGC lead
2. Rahimdad - Pathfinder (Second Lead)
3. Santhosh Kumar Rajasekaran - Range Rover sport
4. Michael Glavanis - LR3 / Discovery
5. Bala Krishnan - Prado
6. Alphin Aloor- Xterra
7. Hisham Masaad - FJC (Centre Forward)
8. Imranasghar81 - FJC
9. Ben84 - Wrangler JLU
10. Sara El Fanidi - Wrangler JK
11. Kaile Barrameda - Wrangler JLU
12. N@ved - Wrangler JK
13. Syed Salman Raza - F150 (Sweep)

@Brette @Santhosh kumar Rajasekaran @Michael Glavanis @Bala Krishnan @Alphin Aloor @Hisham Masaad @imranaasghar81 @Ben84 @Sara EL FANIDI @Kaile Barrameda @N@ved @syed salman raza

Please find your names and convoy numbering above. When you arrive tomorrow morning, you can start deflating your tires to 15psi if you have normal/highway tires, and 12psi in case you have offroad tyres.

Please arrive on time 6:30 AM, earlier is even better so we can help you out with deflation if needed.

We will be using Carnity Channel 1: 446.00625 Mhz.

Seniors on the drive are myself, @Brette, @Hisham Masaad and @syed salman raza who will be sweeping the convoy and we will all help you out in case of refusals, stucks, which is all part of the game (and fun) :)

After deflating we will do a briefing to emphasize on the aspects of off-roading and the teamwork involved when becoming part of our off-road community.

If you have not watched the Absolute Newbie briefing video yet, please do so, as we have compiled this video with all essential information one should know when entering the desert with a 4x4.

In case of emergencies, you can contact me on 050 674 9099

See you tomorrow !

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Brette @Shehab Alawadhi @Ben84 @N@ved @Alphin Aloor @imranaasghar81 @Michael Glavanis @Sreenath Giridharan @Hisham Masaad @ALI ALMOUMAR @syed salman raza @Thomas Varghese @Bala Krishnan @Arman @Santhosh kumar Rajasekaran @Sara EL FANIDI @Kaile Barrameda @Paul Zeitoun @ZakWarah

Hi all from today Im the guy with the white FJ Xtreme and I made my first 360 video and stuck it on YouTube. It's my first attempt - Enjoy. I'll make more in the coming days.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 6

3 hours ago, syed salman raza said:

@imranaasghar81 beautiful pictures, please also share in carnity gallery 

Will do!

• Like (+1) 3

As I repeated throughout the drive, this drive for me had started even before we touched the sands. With the kind hearted gesture of @Shehab Alawadhi, @Thomas Varghese, @ALI ALMOUMAR and an equally generous offer made by @N@ved to give opportunity to those on the waitlist to have atleast one drive over the weekend at their preferred timing. As I drove up to the deflation point it took me back 4 years to when we had our first @Carnity drive in the same area, out for the few cars that attended that first drive @Srikumar was among them. As I gave my first @Carnity convoy brief as I later discovered @Srikumar was bemused by one of my statements. That statement was that one day you will be leading the drive and I will be happy to support you all. @Srikumar still remembers that part of my convoy briefing and I am sure at his level looks forward to see the newer convoy learn and grow under his wings so that he would be bale to support their drives. @Brette was a part of that promise made 4 years back and a product of our hard work and commitment to launch the structure which would assist us in this endeavor.

@Brette had his own butterflies in his stomach which he had to deal with, but under his calm exposure nobody would be able to make out how nervous he actually was leading his first Newbie drive. So he joined Dr @Chaitanya D club and nailed it. Although he started with a bit of my flavor to bore the people for the first 15 minutes of the drive, but a quick chat sorted that out as he increased the level of his drive to suit everyone. The fact that everyone did so well was one reason why he grew in confidence as the drive continued and since everyone was so capable he decided he will be the first one to get stuck to teach everyone how it is done. The exercise did us well as we dug around his JGC and lessons learned by Newbies as to where and how to dig, as that is an important part and soon we had some movement on his JGC and soon it was out and we were on our way again. We did not bother with the busy sections and kept moving which was a brilliant decision, not to go all the way up on Fossil Rock was another wise decision as we continued towards Faya.

On the way we had a slightly difficult stuck with some soft sand and rocks at the bottom which could easily damage any vehicle. But precise maneuver and keeping a cool head and listening and following instructions saw that challenge overcome with zero casualties and we were on our way again. This got us to the section which most people on the convoy enjoyed the most, this area is just behind Faya and has some awesome rolling dunes. My fear was Newbies might not be able to manage in this area, but I was wrong as @Brette chose the best lines and the convoy followed him perfectly through those lines. Our next challenge came just behind Faya as we had a couple of refusals and 2 pop-outs, thanks to @Brette for taking the entire circle to come back to where we were as he handled one pop-out while I fixed the other one.

This left us with a huge bowl to cross and we were on the front face of Faya. I cannot imagine the joy of the convoy attempting and having the thrill which made them forget about time. As the first girl arrived on top of Faya I was singing "This girl is on Faya" in my car. We all took several attempts as we tried to touch the peak, and I must admit that for the first time I reached the highest point I could ever do with my Pathfinder, however it was still not the day for me when I could make it all the way. Some of the newer drivers showed me how it is done with their vehicles and one kind soul who lend me his Jeep to discover that nothing is impossible for the Jeep. A Jeep is a jeep sirjee. The wind was seriously strong and was blowing up sand all over which made it difficult to see where you were headed too at times, but everybody managed well.

@Brette you were amazing in your lead and raised the level gradually but steadily up to gauge how everyone was managing, and I am sure everybody learned loads. @Michael Glavanis managed his LR3 well and even showed me that the Discovery can climb Faya in the right hands. I had no idea when you were able to take out your drone, but I loved the pics you have taken and they just blew me away. @Bala Krishnan has my most favorite ride of the lot, the almighty Prado and I was glad to see him keep a very good control at all times both with his throttle and his steering control. @Alphin Aloor and his Xterra are really gelling well, as he knows exactly when he needs to squeeze some power out of it and the Xterra nicely reciprocates by allowing him the luxury of all of the 276 hp it can deliver.

@Hisham Masaad did a fantastic job as a center forward with precise and clear instructions over the radio and perfect information as to the convoy movement. His smile and enthusiasm are second to none and showed us how to put his FJ to good use. @imranaasghar81 I just saw the video you shot and was a bit confused when I first saw the setup on the day. I now realize exactly what you were using it for, my frank opinion is I felt it cartoonish at times but is a good start to get to know the mode better and experiment to get the whole video more watchable. @Ben84 was absolutely amazing with his ride and showed good control. @Sara EL FANIDI was busy getting chased by the boys in the club, but showed she could use her Jeep to good effect to get away from such hooligans'. @Kaile Barrameda my kabayan did very well as I have come to expect of her and besides handling her ride well stays focused and calm to process any instructions well. @N@ved with his 2006 model TJ showed amazing progress and is a fast learner who has very good attention to detail. @syed salman raza is my savior as this is his third occasion on my drive to be a sweep and he just keeps getting better at it with time. My amazement comes when he posts so many photos in the Gallery as I hardly find time to click any pics when I am sweeping any convoy. He is now starting to own his F150 and showing us how it can be used and I always enjoy to hear it roar to life as and when required.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use