•  

COVID 19 Compliant - ABSOLUTE NEWBIE Morning Desert Drive - Al Qudra - Dubai - 15 Jan 2021

Gaurav

Please find your names and convoy numbering below.

CONVOY NUMBERING

1. Gaurav                     Silver Pajero
  2. Mobeen Anwar        Silver Prado 2009
  3. Natarajan                 White Pajero 2016
  4. Rajendran D            Silver Pajero 2016
  5. kolinrrj                      White Land Cruiser 2015
  6. Sandeep Subhash   Patrol Y61 2008
  7. Ganesan Kathirvel   Orange Jeep Wrangler 2013 
  8. Trekado                    Black Pajero 2015 
  9. Rowi Elsaid              Orange Wrangler
  10. William Fernandes   FJ Cruiser            TBA
  11. Junaid120120          Beige FJ Cruiser 2013
  12. Ahmad Shaker         Grey FJ Cruiser 2013
  13. Shehzada Umer       FJ Cruiser 2010 
  14. Pancho                     Red Wrangler

@Mobeen Anwar @Natarajan @Rajendran D @kolinrrj @Sandeep Subhash @Ganesan Kathirvel @Trekado @Rowi Elsaid @William Fernandes @Junaid120120 @Ahmad Shaker @Shehzada Umer Naseer @Pancho

Radio: Carnity Channel 1: 446.00625 Mhz.

If you have a radio, please program on above Carnity Frequency.

If you do not have a radio yet, no worries we will provide you with a spare for this drive only.

When you arrive tomorrow morning, you can start deflating your tyres to 15psi if you have normal/highway tyres, and 12psi in case you have offroad tyres.

Please arrive on time 6AM, earlier is even better so we can help you out with deflation if needed.

Seniors on the drive are myself, and @Pancho who will be sweeping the convoy and we will both help you out in case of refusals, stucks, which is all part of the game (and fun) :)

After deflating we will do a briefing to emphasize on the aspects of offroading and the teamwork involved when becoming part of our offroad community.

If you have not watched the Absolute Newbie briefing video yet, please do so, as we have compiled this video with all essential information one should know before entering the desert with a 4x4.

In case of emergencies, you can contact me on 050 5258706.

See you all tomorrow !

MUST WATCH: NEWBIE VIDEO BRIEFING

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Please find your names and convoy numbering below.

CONVOY NUMBERING

1. Gaurav                     Silver Pajero
  2. Mobeen Anwar        Silver Prado 2009
  3. Natarajan                 White Pajero 2016
  4. Rajendran D            Silver Pajero 2016
  5. kolinrrj                      White Land Cruiser 2015
  6. Sandeep Subhash   Patrol Y61 2008
  7. Ganesan Kathirvel   Orange Jeep Wrangler 2013 
  8. Trekado                    Black Pajero 2015 
  9. Rowi Elsaid              Orange Wrangler
  10. William Fernandes   FJ Cruiser            TBA
  11. Junaid120120          Beige FJ Cruiser 2013
  12. Ahmad Shaker         Grey FJ Cruiser 2013
  13. Shehzada Umer       FJ Cruiser 2010 
  14. Pancho                     Red Wrangler

@Mobeen Anwar @Natarajan @Rajendran D @kolinrrj @Sandeep Subhash @Ganesan Kathirvel @Trekado @Rowi Elsaid @William Fernandes @Junaid120120 @Ahmad Shaker @Shehzada Umer Naseer @Pancho

Radio: Carnity Channel 1: 446.00625 Mhz.

If you have a radio, please program on above Carnity Frequency.

If you do not have a radio yet, no worries we will provide you with a spare for this drive only.

When you arrive tomorrow morning, you can start deflating your tyres to 15psi if you have normal/highway tyres, and 12psi in case you have offroad tyres.

Please arrive on time 6AM, earlier is even better so we can help you out with deflation if needed.

Seniors on the drive are myself, and @Pancho who will be sweeping the convoy and we will both help you out in case of refusals, stucks, which is all part of the game (and fun) :)

After deflating we will do a briefing to emphasize on the aspects of offroading and the teamwork involved when becoming part of our offroad community.

If you have not watched the Absolute Newbie briefing video yet, please do so, as we have compiled this video with all essential information one should know before entering the desert with a 4x4.

In case of emergencies, you can contact me on 050 5258706.

See you all tomorrow !

MUST WATCH: NEWBIE VIDEO BRIEFING

Noted. 

See you then!

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Shehzada Umer Naseer said:

Hi All, very much excited about this trip. Need a quick help if anyone here knows how to disable the airbags of the FJ 2010. Tried searching on youtube but yet to find a straight forward way of doing that. Thanks in advance.

@Ale Vallecchi @Niki Patel @Ahab Shamaa @Heisem can you help please.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

35 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

@Shehzada Umer Naseer there was an old thread between @Ahab Shamaa and @Ale Vallecchi where if your car has the side curtain airbags, there is (was) a switch on the left of your steering wheel to disable this.  For the standard front airbags, they likely don’t need any disabling (also explained in that old thread).  

the switch should be labeled ‘RSCA off’

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/dashboard-lights/fj-cruiser/2010?garagePrefVehicle=0&garageModelName=FJ Cruiser&garageYearValue=2010&addToVehicleList=false&remRecentVehicle=false&csrfToken=16106463087468196955100484399401

newer FJs made the side curtain airbags optional so I don’t personally have that switch but have seen it on a number of fellow FJs :) 

with that disabled you have the right bags disabled for the drive.  Enjoy your AN experience and reach out via the FJ/Toyota forum here also as there’s lots of great info or if not, a lot of people ready to help and guide!  

Edited by Niki Patel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

DRIVE REPORT

After long time, I had the day full of surprises from the beginning to the end and there after (even). That's what I call an eventful day. I am always excited for Absolute Newbie drives to meet new faces and be the first one to introduce them to off-roading.

Yesterday we had some different menu on the table as Qudra fog decide something very special that until 9ish visibility was less than 50 meters. So we all waited patiently, yawn, shared stories at desert entry point while waiting for Mr. Sun to finally clear the fog. Due to late start, we also called for late ending and made an early exit for one car by 12ish for Friday prayer. Rest of us stayed together till the end and greeted with difficult situation just before we plan to exit by 1 PM. This last surprise extended our stuck and refusals by an additional hour to exit. Everyone's team spirit and waiting patiently was highly commendable to accommodate slow learner with respect and kindness.

Many thanks @Mobeen Anwar for wonderful, capable and very responsible second lead, it clearly reflects your previous off-road experience. Like I mentioned, if you want to transfer your previous offroad experience then you can apply for your fewbie promotion now.

It was great to meet you both @Natarajan and @Rajendran D two Pajero friends. As much as off-roading feels or looks scary on very first drive, but surely as you progress with regular participation it will soon grow on you.

@kolinrrj you drove quite well for your first time and LC must be in zen state to be in her natural habitat. Google "hitch receiver" to consider changing the center tow ball with "shackle hitch" and "hitch tow ball" for a safer recovery point.

@Sandeep Subhash you did fantastic too with your black beauty Y61, very capable offroader. Soon you will be able to match to Patrol level when you continue honing your skills.

@Ganesan Kathirvel as I almost havent heard anything from you through out the drive, means either you or your wrangler was really happy and capable with Qudra sand. Well done, keep it up.

@Trekado your Pajero seem quite powerful and I was really impressed that in few places you went little off and still manage to climb up. Try to follow the convoy trails more for your safety.

@Rowi Elsaid your wrangler too being orange had with some magical powers too, as I haven't heard anything and assume you did well at back and enjoyed the day.

FJ brothers at back @William Fernandes, @Junaid120120 @Ahmad Shaker, @Shehzada Umer Naseer your FJC seems more than ready for offroading. You just need to stay more cautious with radio and comms as while driving offroad small lack of communication can causes big trouble.

Thanks @Pancho for wonderful sweep and continuous support during the whole drive, stuck and recoveries. Hope you've had enough of offroad activity after your 6 weeks of break.

Moving forward you all will be joining the Newbie drives and not an Absolute Newbie drive. Drives are announced every Sunday at 11 am, and they go live on Sunday at 7:10 pm. Due to the high demand, these drives get full in about 10 minutes, so please be online at 7 pm to book your spot. If you miss a spot, put your name on the waitlist asap. Generally, by Thursday with dropouts everyone does get a spot if they have waitlisted. 

For the next drives, please bring along a deflator, pressure gauge, flag and radio as a minimum. 

• Learn to deflate your tires and checking them precisely
  • Learn to fix a flag on your car
  • Learn to program and fully charge your radio

Also like I mentioned during the debriefing, join the Carnity Whatsapp Drive Notification to get the latest updates on the drives, so that you can RSVP on time for the next weekend's drive.

Please have a look at below topic which describes the tools needed for every level. There is a separate tutorial inside which explains which radio we recommend and how to program them: (Please do not buy the Baofeng 888S spare radio we gave you, as these cannot be programmed without a special cable and software).

Please have a look at below grading structure that explains various off-road levels:

See you guys soon in the sand again !

• Like (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Hi Gaurav,

Many thanks for a good report. Your comment about the radio comm is well noted, can’t really explain how I lost comms, but will nevertheless be cautious on the next drive. All in all,  I had a great time. Thanks to you and Pancho for your meticulous guidance. I also wish to express my appreciation to all participants who showed a great team spirit! Thank you. Wishing you all a great week ahead!

regards

William

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gaurav said:

DRIVE REPORT

After long time, I had the day full of surprises from the beginning to the end and there after (even). That's what I call an eventful day. I am always excited for Absolute Newbie drives to meet new faces and be the first one to introduce them to off-roading.

Yesterday we had some different menu on the table as Qudra fog decide something very special that until 9ish visibility was less than 50 meters. So we all waited patiently, yawn, shared stories at desert entry point while waiting for Mr. Sun to finally clear the fog. Due to late start, we also called for late ending and made an early exit for one car by 12ish for Friday prayer. Rest of us stayed together till the end and greeted with difficult situation just before we plan to exit by 1 PM. This last surprise extended our stuck and refusals by an additional hour to exit. Everyone's team spirit and waiting patiently was highly commendable to accommodate slow learner with respect and kindness.

Many thanks @Mobeen Anwar for wonderful, capable and very responsible second lead, it clearly reflects your previous off-road experience. Like I mentioned, if you want to transfer your previous offroad experience then you can apply for your fewbie promotion now.

It was great to meet you both @Natarajan and @Rajendran D two Pajero friends. As much as off-roading feels or looks scary on very first drive, but surely as you progress with regular participation it will soon grow on you.

@kolinrrj you drove quite well for your first time and LC must be in zen state to be in her natural habitat. Google "hitch receiver" to consider changing the center tow ball with "shackle hitch" and "hitch tow ball" for a safer recovery point.

@Sandeep Subhash you did fantastic too with your black beauty Y61, very capable offroader. Soon you will be able to match to Patrol level when you continue honing your skills.

@Ganesan Kathirvel as I almost havent heard anything from you through out the drive, means either you or your wrangler was really happy and capable with Qudra sand. Well done, keep it up.

@Trekado your Pajero seem quite powerful and I was really impressed that in few places you went little off and still manage to climb up. Try to follow the convoy trails more for your safety.

@Rowi Elsaid your wrangler too being orange had with some magical powers too, as I haven't heard anything and assume you did well at back and enjoyed the day.

FJ brothers at back @William Fernandes, @Junaid120120 @Ahmad Shaker, @Shehzada Umer Naseer your FJC seems more than ready for offroading. You just need to stay more cautious with radio and comms as while driving offroad small lack of communication can causes big trouble.

Thanks @Pancho for wonderful sweep and continuous support during the whole drive, stuck and recoveries. Hope you've had enough of offroad activity after your 6 weeks of break.

Moving forward you all will be joining the Newbie drives and not an Absolute Newbie drive. Drives are announced every Sunday at 11 am, and they go live on Sunday at 7:10 pm. Due to the high demand, these drives get full in about 10 minutes, so please be online at 7 pm to book your spot. If you miss a spot, put your name on the waitlist asap. Generally, by Thursday with dropouts everyone does get a spot if they have waitlisted. 

For the next drives, please bring along a deflator, pressure gauge, flag and radio as a minimum. 

• Learn to deflate your tires and checking them precisely
  • Learn to fix a flag on your car
  • Learn to program and fully charge your radio

Also like I mentioned during the debriefing, join the Carnity Whatsapp Drive Notification to get the latest updates on the drives, so that you can RSVP on time for the next weekend's drive.

Please have a look at below topic which describes the tools needed for every level. There is a separate tutorial inside which explains which radio we recommend and how to program them: (Please do not buy the Baofeng 888S spare radio we gave you, as these cannot be programmed without a special cable and software).

Please have a look at below grading structure that explains various off-road levels:

See you guys soon in the sand again !

Thank you. Will look into it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use