•  
Advertise here

Patrol Y62 off road bumper kit

I have taken out my Y62 Nissan Patrol (with platinum bumpers) out for a Masterclass and an absolute newbie drive. 
Both times I have damaged the bumper and I want to change to a better off road bumper. Has anyone modified their Patrol bumper and where do you recommend I can get this done?

• Like (+1) 3

@Salarios might be able to help you 

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thank you @Frederic, I'd be happy to help. 

@Pranjal Varsani The Y62 is an amazing offroad machine, but changing the bumpers is essential since the approach and departure angles of the stock bumpers aren't adequate. I broke my front bumper twice before opting to change it to a smaller design.

The industrial area in Sharjah provide a lot of options, but my understanding is that all the shops give it to this one guy who does it for pretty much everyone. His Instagram is @bab_sahel and he charges anywhere from 1200 to 1800 for the front, inclusive of the bash plate which is essential. Try to get a bash plate which has a minimum of 8mm thickness. If you do go to him, tell him Salar with the Black Patrol sent you, hopefully he gives a better price. 

For the back, I've ripped the diffuser twice (thank you Fred for picking it up for me on that drive a few months ago!), but have not managed to actually damage the rear bumper itself. I've learned that the spare wheel actually does a good job of protecting the bumper, so I'm ambivalent about changing the bumper as of now; why fix something that's not broken (yet). I'm thinking of just getting a new diffuser, and removing it before every drive. But Bab_Sahel does have shorter rear bumpers as well. 

Here are a few pictures of my car: 

1194409367_ScreenShot2020-03-09at20_38_04.jpg.4a1fd088bc599ed9a7c52c6aca4a24bd.jpg

1827110418_ScreenShot2020-03-16at16_50_15.jpg.0fc9eb45ab9ee43e915c41c0cb6bd5f5.jpg

Keep in mind the above are fiberglass options. There are metal options as well, but the law is a bit shady as as to whether it's legal or not. I'd avoid the metal options, as you'd be at the mercy of the RTA supervisor during renewal. But anyway, here is the shop that has it: 

32252163_ScreenShot2020-03-16at17_03_29.jpg.025979293f8b6a39b9f72fa6ae33fb82.jpg

2133163244_ScreenShot2020-03-16at17_03_45.jpg.fbd49b9af41f1a56ac649b35968be179.jpg

115873128_ScreenShot2020-03-16at17_03_51.jpg.b11d29a7ea2b42e3d0dfbd8befffde20.jpg

And here is a rear picture of my car taken yesterday on a Fewbie drive. As you can see the diffuser has tore off, but the bumper is fine. 

712552910_ScreenShot2021-01-09at17_10_53.thumb.jpg.c6e60d6ac7cc1713d4ca0d564911d143.jpg

Anyway, hope the above was helpful. Keep us updated as to what you end up doing, stay safe, and have fun! 

Cheers, 

Salar 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

10 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

@Lorenzo Candelpergher has also managed his Y62 very nicely, maybe he can give options as to what he has done with his bumpers

Dear @Pranjal Varsani with my Nissan Patrol Y62 (2020 model) I went through the following learning curve:

1. I damaged both front and rear bumpers on my very first drives off-road (after just 2-3 drives, at Newbie Level), then:

- Changed the front bumper from "City" to "Offroad" stock version (Nissan said it couldn't be done, but with some fighting I got it installed) 

- Installed a Front Skid Plate (8mm straight and stiffened with two double ribs) + 35mm steel rod behind bumper for protection for frontal impacts;

- Installed a Rear Skid Plate (4mm, rounded) to protect rear bumper from being ripped apart by sand scooping in the central part. 

If you go for skid plates make sure there is adequate space between plate and bumper to allow for elastic deformations in case of impact, otherwise they serve little purpose (I asked for 20mm min). 

2. After approx 30 drives (having reached Intermediate level) I damaged my front bumper again, despite the skid plate, due to an impact from the side while attacking a dune from the slip side, then:

- had the front bumper replaced and cut by approx 13 cm and installed a 35mm steel rod below the cut line with welded lower metal plates closing the gap left by cutting the bumper at sides of the skid plate (to minimize sand intake) for protection for angled / lateral impacts

3. After approx 50 drives (having reached Advance level) I damaged again the rear bumper again despite the skid plate (bent it outward from the side during a forward tug due to sand accumulation between the rear wheels and the mudguards, which were stuck in the sand with heavily digged in wheels and held the bumper back while the car was being pulled from the front), then: 

- removed the rear mudguards 

I am yet to replace the back bumper (currently held in place with gorilla tape), as I am waiting to see if with no mudguards I still have issues and need to cut the rear bumper as well or not (which looks horrible as you end up seeing the whole exhaust pipe and the spare wheel). 

It must be said I'm a bit fixated with maintaining as much as possible the original aesthetics and doing always the less invasive and less visible changes, as the car is still meant to be driven on-road mos to fhte time.. I therefore hate the idea of installing proper aluminum or steel off road bumpers. They are bulky and squared, and I don't like the aesthetics (personal taste), so I prefer to keep stock bumpers and have them cut and modified in a smart and less evident way. 

All work done at Bahwan Motors, even if I suspect in the end the job may have been done by the usual guy in Sharjah. I must say I have put a lot of effort myself (and shown my most annoying attitude as an engineer by mindset and education) in the design and execution of all changes, otherwise aestethics would have been totally compromised and (skid place were redone 3 times each before the guy could get them right l).. 

I learned by my own mistakes and damaged and progressively understood what I needed. A bit annoying, but quite instructive. I have mentioned the number of drives above so you could realize you don't need to do everything at once.. 

I'll share some photos tomorrow. 

Edited by Lorenzo Candelpergher
  • Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

• 8 months later...

@Salarios I have a Y62 as well, I have got rims with 30MM off set, very similar to your car from the pictures I see. Have you faced any issues to hit the wheels to the fenders or fender lining.

I guess you have hbms system and there is not lift available here unless you do HBMS delete.

20210924_170848.jpg

• 4 months later...

@Lorenzo Candelpergher

Changed the front bumper from "City" to "Offroad" stock version (Nissan said it couldn't be done, but with some fighting I got it installed)”

on your above comment.. did you get this done via Nissan? I wasnt aware that they have a offroad stock version