•  

COVID 19 Compliant - Full Day - Fewbie Desert Drive - Dubai Crossing: Lahbab to Qudra - 15 Jan 2021

Ale Vallecchi

I have 1 doubt. As this is almost an 8 hour drive from 8 in the morning to 4 in the evening which is double the duration of a normal drive of 4 hours will the drive be credited as done 2 drives in counting the drives for the next promotion? @Rahimdad, @Gaurav, @Ale Vallecchi, @Foxtrot Oscar please clarify this doubt. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

I have 1 doubt. As this is almost an 8 hour drive from 8 in the morning to 4 in the evening which is double the duration of a normal drive of 4 hours will the drive be credited as done 2 drives in counting the drives for the next promotion? @Rahimdad, @Gaurav, @Ale Vallecchi, @Foxtrot Oscar please clarify this doubt. 

It counts as 1 drive, the duration doesn’t matter. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Thomas Varghese I agree with @Francois Germishuys, it should be counted as one drive. These kind of full day drives are only possible during the winter months as it is more comfortable in the afternoon as compared to the summer months. Another point to have such drives is to prepare drivers for a longer span of attention. With shorter drives we have noticed team members getting tired and loose concentration during the last part of the drive. But if you have prepared your mid for a longer day and have enough rest on the previous night it should help you improve your concentration on longer journey times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

24 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

@Thomas Varghese I agree with @Francois Germishuys, it should be counted as one drive. These kind of full day drives are only possible during the winter months as it is more comfortable in the afternoon as compared to the summer months. Another point to have such drives is to prepare drivers for a longer span of attention. With shorter drives we have noticed team members getting tired and loose concentration during the last part of the drive. But if you have prepared your mid for a longer day and have enough rest on the previous night it should help you improve your concentration on longer journey times.

@Rahimdad I asked this doubt because I want to finish the mandatory drives for the next promotion as early as possible. For me if the drive is 24 hours also no problem. I always believe I was born to drive but forced to work. I didn't leave my apartment in Ajman till now because I love the morning drive to my office in Business Bay. My kids are not very happy they have to spend 1 hour in the car. They are wondering why dad stays in an apartment in Ajman when he can easily afford one in Dubai. How much ever I explain I like the drive they don't understand. They think Dad is kanjoos. Anyways thanks for the explanation and I look forward to more drives like this. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

20 hours ago, Ahab Shamaa said:

This sounds awesome @Ale Vallecchi! I can't wait :) And with @Foxtrot Oscar helping, only God knows how this drive is gonna unfold 🤣

Good to have you back @Ahab Shamaa. See you on Friday.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thomas Varghese said:

Dear @Thomas Varghese, as @Rahimdad said, these drives will count as 1 single drive (as the full day drives in Liwa, at the beginning of December). Regarding the goal of reaching the minimum number of drives, I can share with you my personal feelings that it's not so much the sheer number of drives that count, rather the quality of the drives. Each driver, and her/his car, represent a different story, and may learn the necessary off-roading skills and poise earlier or in more time. My recommendation is to focus on one's improvement, bettering one's feeling with the car, and demonstrate, with each drive, how skilled one has become. Rest assured that all seniors on each drive will notice these improvements, and will be able to support the promotion to a higher rank of every single deserving member. 

I look forward to see you on Friday. Let's have fun!!

• Totally Agree (+2) 3

@Ahab Shamaa thank goodness you are back, America went bonkers with you there.

@Thomas Varghese I really appreciate your impatience to discover and learn at the new level. But everything matures and gets better with time. Like @Ale Vallecchi put it so nicely every driver and every car has it's own story to tell, take your time to write your story as you go, you will not get this time again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

17 hours ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Dear @Alphin Aloor. Thanks a lot for signing up for the drive. Unfortunately, as you are currently still a Newbie, I'll have to sign you out of this Fewbie drive. Please look for a suitable Newbie drive this weekend. Also, you may apply for promotion to Fewbie, if you feel you have driven enough at your current rank, and if you have fulfilled the requirements. Thanks a lot for understanding. 

Hi Ale,

I've actually completed the number of drives and applied for promotion, but i guess i can only book my spot after i'm promoted.

Point taken.

Thanks.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Dear Desertnauts.

Welcome to the first Full Day drive of 2021. Those of you who drove in Liwa, at the beginning of December, are already acquainted with these types of drives. For both these more experienced drivers, as well as for those who will do their first  Full Day drive, a few notes about what to expect.

Concentration will be a mandatory requirement on this drive. Usually, on a half day drive, concentration starts to ebb after around 3 hours. You may have noticed that refusals and stucks often occur toward the end of the drive. In this case, while we will be able to take a break to lunch and refuel, we will expect drivers to remain alert and concentrated for much longer. There is no secret for this. It's just something each will have to work on, and train (to increase one's ability to concentrate). Being able to sustain longer drives will come in very handy in the occasion of long treks, cross-country trips, camping excursion to other countries (Oman, Saudi, etc.), so we feel it's something which an experienced off-roader should be able to develop.

Water and refreshments are also important. Be sure to have enough to drink (losing 2-3% of your body water leads to a significant loss of attention, energy and clarity of mind), and bring dry sugars to nibble on (dates are the preferred snack of long-trek drivers across the Sahara, but cookies should do as well), and we'll help you along the way by taking a few breaks, to stretch, and take your hands off the wheel (ideally, if we were on a long Saharan trek, tea would be served during these breaks).

Drive's breakdown will take us from Lahbab to Skydive, in the first half, and from Lisaili to Solar Park, or Qudra (depending on convoy's behavior). Throughout the drive we'll check our tires' pressure more than once, and of course we'll stop at a gas station to refuel (no extra jerry cans are needed). I will let you know if I identify a suitable restaurant where to stop for lunch, or I'll recommend that each brings his own lunch, which we'll take, if necessary, in the desert, just before reaching Skydive, and crossing over to Lisaili.

As mentioned in the drive's post, we'll drive through every possible terrain, from sabkhas to technical areas, from small sand bowls plateaus to long range dunes.

I will get back to all of you on Thursday, with the final information about the drive. 

@Foxtrot Oscar, @Kalahari (welcome back!!), @Ken Hüüdma, @Athula Dharmadada, @Thomas Varghese, @Ahab Shamaa, @Yasas Dharmadasa, @AlexPol, @Joe Biju Joseph, @Arda Yagcioglu (is your car sorted out since our last drive?), @VipinShetty and @sri ganesh, I look forward to seeing all of you on a chilly Friday morning in Lahbab. Have a nice week ahead.

10 minutes ago, Alphin Aloor said:

Hi Ale,

I've actually completed the number of drives and applied for promotion, but i guess i can only book my spot after i'm promoted.

Point taken.

Thanks.

Yes @Alphin Aloor.I am sorry about this, and look forward to seeing you soon in the future. Thanks a lot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Sad (0) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

40 minutes ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Dear @Thomas Varghese, as @Rahimdad said, these drives will count as 1 single drive (as the full day drives in Liwa, at the beginning of December). Regarding the goal of reaching the minimum number of drives, I can share with you my personal feelings that it's not so much the sheer number of drives that count, rather the quality of the drives. Each driver, and her/his car, represent a different story, and may learn the necessary off-roading skills and poise earlier or in more time. My recommendation is to focus on one's improvement, bettering one's feeling with the car, and demonstrate, with each drive, how skilled one has become. Rest assured that all seniors on each drive will notice these improvements, and will be able to support the promotion to a higher rank of every single deserving member. 

I look forward to see you on Friday. Let's have fun!!

I agree with u 100% @Ale Vallecchi. Well said and up to the point leaving no points to clarify. I am excited to join your drive as last time you had meticulously explained all about the drive, how to approach and tackle the obstacles and where we went wrong and the correctional methods. This time its 1 level up as a Fewbie drive and would love to learn more from you. See you on Friday. I should be there by 7.30 already deflated and waiting for the drive to start. 

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use