•  

COVID 19 Compliant - ABSOLUTE NEWBIE Morning Desert Drive - Al Qudra - Dubai - 22 Jan 2021

Ale Vallecchi

1 hour ago, Robert Nammour said:

It was great meeting all of you. I hope to see you guys again on another drive! 

and massive thanks to our two guides. 

Indeed, it was fun riding with all of you, and thanks a lot folks for leading us and for being patient with us :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

IT was a fantastic learning experience & getting to know everyone on this morning's drive, & looking forward to meeting up in future drives, thanks to @Ale Vallecchi @Jeepie for your teaching & guiding us. See you again

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

WELCOME TO THE DESARTNAUTS TRIBE - Absolute Newbie Al Qudra Drive Report

Dear Desert lovers, after completing your first drive you are all now part of the Desertnaut Tribe. Congrats.

I hope you all enjoyed your first experience driving on sand with Carnity. You all drove well. You will find, if you decide to further pursue this hobby, that each one will develop her/his own style of driving, some more "aggressive", some more "elegant", so listen to the sensations you felt during yesterday's drive, as they are the prelude to the style of desert driving you will develop. Some of it will also depend on your car, and how you adapt to its strengths and weaknesses, as horse back riders adapts to the character of their mounts, to become one with it. Always remember, though, that a rider can only manage to extract its best from the animal. to lead and cajole the horse to go over an obstacle, but will never go where the horse does not want to go, or she/he will be dismounted. Similarly, you will learn how to get the best performance from your car, on each terrain and condition, and manage to overcome most obstacles (with momentum), but will never be able to take your car where it doesn't want to go (against gravity).

Yesterday we did practice building momentum, and using it, to go over dunes (straight cresting/crossing), and to safely drive up and down the face of a dune (side-sloping), while we also experienced the feeling of driving on top of the flatter, wider dunes, in anticipation of eventually developing the skill of ridge-riding, on taller, sharper dunes. We also successfully went through a couple of well managed self-recoveries, from cars momentarily stuck on the side of dunes, practiced an assisted recovery (with the use of shovels) to get a car unstuck from a straight cresting), and finally saw the tow-rope in action, to solve a couple of stucks with a nice tug action. That's the most on can expect from any Absolute Newbie drive, which lasted 4:00 hours, covered a very good 39Kms, at an average moving speed of 19 Km/h

Having said this, I I would like to thank @Serafino for a well executed Second Lead. Congratulations to @Satish Mungse, @Hossam Anwar, @Samuel Hainsworth and @Robert Nammour for driving with great control throughout the morning. Allow me to remind @Ahmed Wagdy, @soumyasaklani and @ankit teotia, who all exploited perfectly the full power of their cars, not to counter-stear at times, as that will be making you loose the momentum which you all had properly built while approaching the last obstacle we faced. I truly would like to thank @Francis Fernandes for his patience in listening to my instructions, even when they were issued in the heat of the moment, with a sterner tone. You managed to get out of a couple of difficult places just using your newly acquired skills, and the power of your car: the ice has been broken, and you will be able to constantly improve from now on. Last, but not least, a big thank you to @Jeepie, for her outstanding support, as well as for always finding the right and reassuring words to lead every refusal and recovery. 

Thank you again for joining the drive. I look forward to seeing you all in the desert soon.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

25 minutes ago, Robert Nammour said:

Thanks chief! It really was a lot of fun. Could you please share the route coordinates? 

@Robert Nammour let me know if you can open the attached file. I use My Trails, but the GPX file can be opened with many Apps (Gaia, Wikilock, My Tracks, etc.).

20210122 .gpx

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

@Robert Nammour let me know if you can open the attached file. I use My Trails, but the GPX file can be opened with many Apps (Gaia, Wikilock, My Tracks, etc.).

20210122 .gpx 1.12 MB · 4 

Thanks Ale for the file, I use Gaia, I see 2 overlapping tracks ( blue and purple) what is the difference? 

• Like (+1) 1

Thank you very much for the mini adventure yesterday. Your support to the convoy in terms of recoveries was also amazing. Thank you so much for everything! 

@Ahmed Wagdy if you can download BikeGPX i think you will see one direction I don't know if that correct App or no but i try with that App

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use