•  

Radio Backup

sri ganesh

It happened to me in my 2nd drive as a newbie that my radio fell on the floor of the passenger side while negotiating and i stopped and picked it up and i noticed some changed on the display and i realized that channels tuning is messed up and i had no way to communicate this to the convoy and being a newbie was not sure if i had way out other than stoping safely and stepping out and reaching to the car behind and convey this. I stopped and looked up the frequency and tuned it manually and got back on the comm link. 

The  the drive to Liwa was coming up and made sense to have a back up for the radio in the car for the Liwa and all drives so got another radio as back up and also a car charger

I also made it point to acquaint myself with the radio by reading Fredrics article and memorizing. It may also help to keep it handy on your phone or a hard pocket note in your car for those days when your phone has connectivity issues to access the article in case a tuning is needed in the desert

Start locking the radio, so accidental change of frequencies can be prevented. Motorola has a star key to press for long to lock the keypad and channel button.

Also use lanyard to hand radio on neck if there is no tight place like cupholder or armrest you can use to secure the radio.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

8 minutes ago, sri ganesh said:

It happened to me in my 2nd drive as a newbie that my radio fell on the floor of the passenger side while negotiating and i stopped and picked it up and i noticed some changed on the display and i realized that channels tuning is messed up and i had no way to communicate this to the convoy and being a newbie was not sure if i had way out other than stoping safely and stepping out and reaching to the car behind and convey this. I stopped and looked up the frequency and tuned it manually and got back on the comm link. 

The  the drive to Liwa was coming up and made sense to have a back up for the radio in the car for the Liwa and all drives so got another radio as back up and also a car charger

I also made it point to acquaint myself with the radio by reading Fredrics article and memorizing. It may also help to keep it handy on your phone or a hard pocket note in your car for those days when your phone has connectivity issues to access the article in case a tuning is needed in the desert

Having a second radio on your drive never hurts, and a Baofeng UV5R is only about 75dhs. After all we are dealing with Chinese radios that sometimes drain their battery without any reason or did not fully charge the night before. 

In case you ever need to notify someone you can stick out your hand and ask the driver behind you to stop and ask him to communicate to the rest of the convoy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Important Information

Terms of use