•  
Advertise here

Grand Cherokee Technology

Thanks @Rahimdad

I’m for taking calculated risk. I guess every sport requires it’s proper equipment. As of now, I’m not 100% sure is that my car variant is up for serious riding as it is. This model/variant is more for the road-painted everything, large rims, etc. I used to have 2014 Grand Cherokee in past-that was more adapted to proper off-road, I feel-unpainted plastic bumpers and arches, 18 inch wheels, etc.

i might be 100% wrong in my thoughts though as I don’t have much experience.

i understand many folks have a second car which they are using for desert without any concerns.

Thank you @VipinShetty. Will those be the same fuses for me? F76 and F85? Thanks

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alex Sidorov said:

Thanks @Rahimdad

I’m for taking calculated risk. I guess every sport requires it’s proper equipment. As of now, I’m not 100% sure is that my car variant is up for serious riding as it is. This model/variant is more for the road-painted everything, large rims, etc. I used to have 2014 Grand Cherokee in past-that was more adapted to proper off-road, I feel-unpainted plastic bumpers and arches, 18 inch wheels, etc.

i might be 100% wrong in my thoughts though as I don’t have much experience.

i understand many folks have a second car which they are using for desert without any concerns.

Thank you @VipinShetty. Will those be the same fuses for me? F76 and F85? Thanks

@Alex Sidorov, pls refer to https://fuse-box.info/jeep/jeep-grand-cherokee-wk2-2011-present-fuses and check the details related to your model year. 

Mine is 2019 model, the F85 & F86 are for airbags and are 1 assembly(yellow coloured) with an inbuilt arrangement to pull them off. F76 is for ESP and would need a nose plier to pull out.

There are more fuses which can disable the ABS and ESP like F6, F26 ... i havent tried them yet though... 

you can also look at the underside of the fuse box cover for your car specific data.

WK2 Fuse box diagram 2019.pdf

• Well Done (+2) 5

@Alex Sidorov very clear explanations and suggestions from @Brette @Rahimdad and @VipinShetty... I made changes to front & back bumpers and installed a skid plate.. it made a big difference in my driving, I was able focus on driving rather than worrying about damages (one less thing to worry about)

W.r.t 20” rims... I haven’t got any issues in the initial levels but like seniors suggests I too feel that it will be safe to use 18” as we move up the level. About pulling off airbag fuse. This is very important, please make it a practice to do this before the drive. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@ZakWarah 

hello Zak

i am an owner of JGC 2016 limited V6 however I ended deciding to spare it for the family on road and maybe a light offroad track to Qudra lakes when family all in and I  purchased an Xterra 2012 for both on and my weekly offroad drives. 

There is no doubt at all that JGC is a powerful vehicle and capable in the different terrains offroad including the sand . But I also believe it’s a premium vehicle with sophisticated tech and to make it regularly an off-roader you have to give up some aesthetic items like the chrome .. etc in addition installing kill switches and pulling fuses as mentioned previously above. 

There are friends like @Brette @VipinShetty and @Ashy whom they can tell better how this elegant beast can perform in sand more than I do .

Cheers

Edited by Mohamed Seidam
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This is very close to how I feel about it. Would you use JGC for occasional newbie/freebie rides? As I at least want to try it/test it out in desert conditions. @ZakWarah

one technical question about fuses-do you completely remove them and put back after rides or just pull them up and they remain in fusebox/slots? @Ashy

would you remove lower fascia just to give it a shot for a newbie ride

• Like (+1) 3

@Alex Sidorov airbag fuse is designed in such a way that the fuse doesn’t need to be completely removed. It is the big yellow fuse at the bottom left corner, this can pulled off and the fuse stays inside the box. To remove other fuse you can use the yellow color plier at the right side top corner. These fuse can be removed completely and put back, I have not done that so far as I am only pulling of the airbag fuse. 

image.jpeg.9ac363486e2da683fcfd12cf20bece08.jpeg

yes you can remove lower fascia and can be fitted back again. 

Edited by Ashy
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Brette Cheers for the information, I will look into installing a kill switch soon. Also I was completely unaware I should take out the airbag fuse, thanks for that. 

@Alex Sidorov I am not worried about taking my car out on Newbie and Fewbie drives. Taking into consideration that the marshal and all the other cars infront of me are taking the same route it is unlikely that the path being taken will do any serious damage if any to the car. Especially in Newbie drives where the drive is usually relaxing and not very challenging. However, I would be careful taking my car out without professionals if you do not at least have a skid-plate, I was driving in the desert with friends recently and broke my radiator completely and needed to replace it. I have 0 modifications on my car. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Hi @Ashy @Brette @VipinShetty

i’ve removed lower fascia in preparation for the drive. Can you guys please advise if you just pull the fuse before ride and put it back after? Or there are some other steps required to properly disarm airbags? Like, do you disconnect the battery before pulling the fuse/etc.?

I’ve read in one instruction that you need to disconnect “-“, wait 30 min for airbags to discharge and then pull the fuse.

how do you normally do it on JGC?

many thanks

• Like (+1) 1