•  
Advertise here

Recommended Engine Oil for old / higher mileage

Hello Off road Gurus, 😊

Need to learn from your experience. What engine oil would you recommend for the cars with old engines or with higher mileage on the dial. 

My Pajero just completed 200K on the dial. I normally use 20w/ 50 for the older engine.

Also for the gear oil. Keeping off roading in consideration of course. ;)

Kindly advise.

Thx & Regards.

• Like (+1) 4

Higher mileage engines might start consuming a bit of oil, hence going for a slightly thicker oil like a 20w50 makes sense. On the other hand the 20w50 is a mineral oil which provides less protection in comparison with a full synthetic oil. 

I have tried both and for now I stick with the 5w40 Castrol or Mobil1 on both our Pajeros. 

With regards to gear oil you should strictly stick to what the maintenance manual says.

When it comes to oil intervals, if you are offroading on a weekly basis you should consider bringing your interval to 70-80% of time, for example a full synthetic oil 10,000km oil change would better be done at 7000-8000kms. Same formula would apply for gear oil. (20,000 kms).

These are general guidelines and everyone will have different experiences of course. I have experience in the machine industry where we keep mineral oils for many years on a running machine but perform oil analysis as replacing 4000l tends to be a bit expensive :) 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Rizwan Waheed its not about how many kilometers your vehicle has done, its about how it reached there. How much you've cared for it. I agree with @Frederic and you should use an oil which will keep your engine protected for longer. I think @Gaurav bhai would also advise you the same.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Rahimdad bahi, copy tht. :)

I was fortunate enough to grab it from good hands. And well taken care of. I bought it with almost 160k on the dial and just reached 200k. 

Since going off road regularly so need some extra pampering. :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1