•  
Advertise here

Chevrolet Optra Weak Brake System

Hi,

I have Chevrolet Optra 2005 model ever since I brought this car I am experiencing weak brake even though my brake pad is new. I already complain this or tried to it fix but after a short period of time it backs again into poor performance. Is there any solution to fix this matter? Please be guided accordingly. Thanks in advance.

Brake has very limited component to doubt on. First and foremost get the brake fluid changed 100% (not just top up). Do bleed the brake while flushing the brake fluid out. Google that "How to bleed brakes" and you will understand. That's a cheaper fix.

Second one to doubt is brake pad, which i assume you are saying its new pad. Moderate expensive.

Third and last one to doubt is the brake caliper or pistons, and if any of 4 caliper is weak then brake applying power will also reduce tremendously. You can ask mechanic to identify which one is weak and get that one changed and if mechanic is in don't then change the both front ones first as any car uses front brake first and then rear one, that's why front brake used 70% of time and wears out faster.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Jonathan for very nicely explain the braking issue. I am kind of experiencing the softer braking since last month and yesterday due to some emergency braking i realized its not stopping as fast as before. Looks like I have to follow your advise and get the pad , disc and pistons checked . Appreciate your help and explanation is lay man language. Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Softer braking is majorly caused by old brake fluid that has enough moisture to make brake spongy. If you pump the brakes and it gets harder then it means brake booster is on its way to go bad. Try with brake fluid change completely and if it still stays same then you should explore with other expensive areas.